Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: It's not a Jetski, but it goes just the same!

Update: Well you can take the parts manual for the Mercury Sport Jet and throw it out the window. All the parts are similar in location and type but the sizes are all wrong including the drive shaft I bought. Ended up measuring the bearings and seals and got on google and started searching and found everything I needed. The parts are all metric. Some Yamaha seals worked. I used Timken part numbers on a few others. Everything has been sanded, cleaned up and painted and now going back together. Luckily bearings and seals came out fairly easily without special tools. I am trying a epoxy paint with a hardner on the wear ring. It smoothed out the minor grooves and it will be interesting to see if its as hard coming off as it is on the garage floor. I have added a external flushing port so I can pop a hose in the back of the boat without opening the hood. i also swithed from studs to bolts to hold the stator bowl to the main assemble. It should make a future disassembly much easier. The last thing to do is take a stab at cleaning the fuel tank. I am thinking of trying a vacumn with a small hose. Anything so I don't have to pull the tank. Lots of hours involved but if I ever do it again it will go much faster.
    @kpino22 I saved all the part #'s if you decided to do your current pump. If you switch pumps let me know as the old one is a parts gold mine.impeller.jpgEngine Bay.jpgpump.jpgride plate.jpgWear ring.jpgpump cut out.jpg
    Last edited by capndans; 08-15-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Get a cheap electric fuel pump from your favorite auto store and use that. I had to do this on my boat and it worked great. Plus, the pump can be used for a variety of things without danger of combusing any fumes.

PWCToday Newbie

On the above recommendation I have eliminated the primer bulb and installed a fuel pump and am finally ready to give it a try. Irma's passage through Florida took away two months of being able to mess with the project. I have removed all the old stripping as after 25 years they were finally starting to delaminate.
    I am now working to come up with a more modern look. I also added a Yamaha quick disconnect flush kit mounting it right on the back of the boat making flushing quick and easy.Deck.jpgside view.jpgJetstar 2.jpg

I'm seriously considering picking one of these up in a few weeks. Is there a way to tell the difference between the 60 and 90 hp motors? The graphics on the boat are pink and teal/green. Makes me think its a 90, but the guy said it was a 60... How do these boats handle on the water?
    1993 701 SuperJet - PATRIOT SKI
    1994 Yamaha Waveblaster Ė 2nd Owner
    1986 Kawasaki JS550 - Yamasaki 650 Conversion
    1987 Kawasaki 300sx - Group K Mod
    1990 Kawi 550sx
    - "Ol' Reliable." Caught on fire, sunk, whereabouts UNKNOWN.
    JetLark Mini Boat - Build Thread

PWCToday Newbie

The easiest way to tell is the Merc is a three cylinder motor where the other is two. If its older than a 1991 its probably not a 90 HP.
    The boat handles remarkably well with one or two people in it.
    My top speed solo is 44 MPH.
    If it is a 90 HP a few words of caution. Get underneath with a flash light and look at the shaft, impeller, and bowl. None of these parts are available. The merc sport jet pump parts are close but different in size. Bearings, seals and the like can be found by sizing them up. They are metric. There is a single drain hole underneath by the pump intake for bowl fluid. My breather comes out by the back of the pump as a hose. Remove the screw and check quantity and color. If its brownish or none your shaft seals are gone which might mean the bearings are not in the best of shape.
    Like anything else this old your on your own other than forums like this for trouble shooting on the pump side. The motor itself is straight forward with parts readily available on the likes of Ebay.
    The 90 is a gas hog. it has a 10 gallon tank which at wide open throttle nets 45 to 50 minutes of run time. Stay below 3000 RPM and you can get two hours out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by capndans View Post
    The easiest way to tell is the Merc is a three cylinder motor where the other is two. If its older than a 1991 its probably not a 90 HP.
    The boat handles remarkably well with one or two people in it.
    My top speed solo is 44 MPH.
    If it is a 90 HP a few words of caution. Get underneath with a flash light and look at the shaft, impeller, and bowl. None of these parts are available. The merc sport jet pump parts are close but different in size. Bearings, seals and the like can be found by sizing them up. They are metric. There is a single drain hole underneath by the pump intake for bowl fluid. My breather comes out by the back of the pump as a hose. Remove the screw and check quantity and color. If its brownish or none your shaft seals are gone which might mean the bearings are not in the best of shape.
    Like anything else this old your on your own other than forums like this for trouble shooting on the pump side. The motor itself is straight forward with parts readily available on the likes of Ebay.
    The 90 is a gas hog. it has a 10 gallon tank which at wide open throttle nets 45 to 50 minutes of run time. Stay below 3000 RPM and you can get two hours out of it.
    Awesome thanks for the response. The guy said it needed a new steering cable boot? I'm assuming that is where the cable goes out to the pump. Do you know if those are hard to come by?
    1993 701 SuperJet - PATRIOT SKI
    1994 Yamaha Waveblaster Ė 2nd Owner
    1986 Kawasaki JS550 - Yamasaki 650 Conversion
    1987 Kawasaki 300sx - Group K Mod
    1990 Kawi 550sx
    - "Ol' Reliable." Caught on fire, sunk, whereabouts UNKNOWN.
    JetLark Mini Boat - Build Thread

PWCToday Newbie

If its the Suzuki set up then this place has most of the parts:
    http://www.deckjetwatercraft.com/ult...cs/default.asp
    If its the 90 HP a Mercruiser shift cable boot or similar works perfect with a couple of hose clamps.
    The above company shows a shift boot part # 20-0515-077 that will probably work as the steering outlet is similar between the two.
    And you are correct. The steering boot keeps water from entering the hull where the cable exits the boat.
    Last edited by capndans; 02-08-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Finally! The new motor is in!

Itís been a year and a half in the making but the Jetstar is ready to hit the water once again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 Kawasaki X2 - 750SP, FPP, ADA Billet Head 28cc domes, Ryski's Surfbrace, Lightened Flywheel, Dual Cooling, 46SBN, Port N' Polished,Watcon X2 Intake
    1985 Kawasaki JS550 - RRacing pipe
    1992 ULTRANAUTICS JETSTAR 1250 - 90HP Mercury Sportjet
    1994 Kawasaki 750SX - Bare Hull W/ Lots of parts to sell - Hull & Trailer fOR SALE/Potentially Free - PM for details
    1993 Bayliner Jazz - Bare Hull and Trailer - FOR SALE/Potentially Free - PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by capndans View Post
    Update. After my first cruise I shut the engine down and was introduced to the famous merc ignition issues. Wouldn't start. Finally fired up after a 1/2 hour of sitting I headed back to the ramp with the boat refusing to accelerate under throttle. Put it on the trailer and from that point on the spark was gone. After reading all the post on "no spark" I decided to replace all the electrical components as they looked like they had seen better days.
    To my surprise all the parts were available and not that outrageous. After pulling the fly wheel the source of the primary issue was found with one loose magnet and one cracked. Found a NIB flywheel on Ebay for $250 and ordered up all CDI components as I read their suppose to be better than Merc. Replaced the stator, trigger, regulator, adaptor, switch box, flywheel, safety switch, coils and plug wires. Initially it would not fire so I unplugged the yellow/black on the switch box and it took right off. Unfortunately the key would not shut it down. The one thing I didn't replace was the rev limiter and its bad as well. With that disconnected its got all kinds of spark and fires right up and shuts down with the safety wire back on the switchbox. Hopefully with new matched components it will stay that way. Back to the water this weekend to see how it does. Before and after of the engine compartment.Attachment 524237Attachment 524238
    @capndans what kind of sound insulation did you use to re-due the engine bay? It looks great! I need to redu mine as well. Also did you carve that void in the foam for the carbs or did it come like that? My intake faring pushes up right against the firewall making it impossible to pull the carbs without pulling the whole engine.

1986 Kawasaki X2 - 750SP, FPP, ADA Billet Head 28cc domes, Ryski's Surfbrace, Lightened Flywheel, Dual Cooling, 46SBN, Port N' Polished,Watcon X2 Intake
    1994 Kawasaki 750SX - Bare Hull W/ Lots of parts to sell - Hull & Trailer fOR SALE/Potentially Free - PM for details
    1993 Bayliner Jazz - Bare Hull and Trailer - FOR SALE/Potentially Free - PM for details

@capndans - I donít know what kind or size of battery you have in your boat but I alleviated a lot of my starting/running issues buy putting in the proper size battery needed for a 90hp Merc. These engines need a lot of CCAís.

I canít believe I hadnít done this before. I ran for a year with a teency jetski battery. The previous owner had made an aluminum battery box to hold a jetski size battery and I never thought anything of it. After reading all of the manuals and comparable 90hp Merc outboard manuals these engines need 580CCA or 675MCA which only comes with a decent 24- size marine dual purpose battery. I just replaced this dead interstate battery I stole from the donor boat for a new NAPA marine battery and boy you should hear it crank now!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information