Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: Bartlett buoy track?

Quote Originally Posted by iluvsp4m View Post
    There is, however, a USFS requirement for a permit to be issued before building any permanent/semi-permanent structure on USFS land(and waters), of which applies to setting a buoy. To get said permit you must fill out the same forms and go through the same approval process that is required if you wanted to drill a well, cut down some trees, clear a new road or install more 'bass bungalows'. As you can imagine, it is a long & convoluted process heavy on oversight and bureaucratic approval. The cherry on top is the local MCSO top-dog must approve it to make it final. Once you received said permit... lulz, let's just play make believe for a moment... you must maintain the 60' buffer and if anyone decided they wanted to use that area(say fish in the middle of your track or the rental guy leaps in without thinking/looking) you are not be able to restrict or deter them beyond asking them politely to move. I tried this a decade ago and succeeded solely in annoying the former CCRD bureaucrats. That being said, careful running the reef buoys across from the Flats: just north of the northernmost hazard around the big cove is a jagged, broken pipe about 2' under water 2 weeks ago.
    Methinks you are over thinking it. I can wander the shoreline and see many "permanent/semi-permanent structures" that look like a buoy but they are merely an anchor weight with a small buoy attached to keep the boat attachment link afloat. So while 'technically' everyone should be getting a permit if they want to leave their boat anchor in the water, nobody does and nobody makes them. The lesson is: make your buoy track look like boat anchors and don't expect to use IJSBA legal buoys. From 1993-2012 or so I put out a buoy track every 4th of July holiday at Arrowhead Cove on Lake Mohave in Laughlin. Besides Federal jurisdictions, that lake also has shared AZ/NV jurisdiction. Only once did NV F&W pull up my buoys citing their specific state law but they gave them back saying I just couldn't leave them out if no one was using them. They ignored them every year after that. I placed them on the sides of the cove so that it never blocked or impeded boat traffic in and out, and while sometimes we ran 5-6 people at a time we usually kept it fairly low profile especially on the weekends. Every year NFS rangers would visit to check us out and never once mentioned anything about our buoy course.

I did the same thing in Pine cove at Apache lake most any weekend 1998-2005 or so. Never had one issue there as you can't even see in that cove from the water.

If you want someone to sign off on setting up a buoy track it's never going to happen unless you are putting together an event and go through all the hoops.

If you play it smart, don't mind driving to a less used and less policed lake, don't expect to put out race class buoys then yes it can be done with little to no hassle. (San Carlos has water in it right now, you could use the whole lake for a buoy course and they don't give two ****z)

If you do get hassled, just play dumb, don't argue and go somewhere else for awhile. Never feed the officers power trip.

Anybody have a more specific location of this broken pipe? I run those buoys every weekend and haven't cut myself open yet, but I would like to know where to look next time I'm out there

I was there Sunday. The broken pipe/cove hazard buoy area is no longer submerged. But it's basically straight across from the no wake swimming area in Bartlett flats there. Like west end of the giant cove across from the no wake zone. But, I didn't even bring my race ski, was just riding a junk sea doo 580 while my son was riding his 650 and going like 10 mph the sheriff lit us up. Started talking about how he was gonna give me free lesson. It ended with me saying "I don't even like cops".

But it's like firebird says... Body beach is worth the drive!

PWCToday Regular

Back in the day, we used Hippity Hops for buoys. If I get my ski running I would love to set up a course. Blues and Reds for lefts and rights. Dang it's been a long time since I've been out. Kids are grown. Time to ride again..!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home MrSki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregrsmt View Post
    Back in the day, we used Hippity Hops for buoys. If I get my ski running I would love to set up a course. Blues and Reds for lefts and rights. Dang it's been a long time since I've been out. Kids are grown. Time to ride again..!!

I think I've ridden with you 7 or 8 years ago...maybe Pleasant? Didn't you have a 650?
    1993 Laser Jet F15 - Mild port to PJS Cylinder.
    1992 550 SX - R&R port Kawi Reed, Kind of fast.
    1989 JS 550 - PJS motor Dual 46's, 50 MPH on GPS.
    1989 Wet Jet - Upgraded 1994 50 HP motor & exhaust.
    1986 JS 550 - Engine built. Working on fiberglass!
    1976 JS 400 - Pretty much just a shell.

PWCToday Regular

Yeah, only it was 10 years ago. Matt, Firebird, you. The guy that had the Yamaha that towed it with his VW bug. Throwing paint cans in the fire. Those were the days.
    Busy, still looking to get out. I have an old 750 sx.
    Last edited by gregrsmt; 09-30-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information