Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Piston information you need to know, WISECO, PROX, WSM

I often hear the debate Wiseco is better than PROX, PROX is better than Wiseco, well maybe yes , maybe no but below are the facts so you can decide for yourself, looks like they are both owned by the same company, and that's a fact Jack !

About Performance Motorsports Inc.
    The History Of PMiPerformance Motorsports Inc was created from a vision of the Dover Corporation to define an umbrella company that contained the best of the best in the Automotive/Powersports worlds. This umbrella company would allow the separate companies to share engineering and technological resources to further expand market share and provide a superior product for our customers. The vision of combining such companies also allows each company to share in the financial backing of Dover, which will allow the companies to invest in the latest engineering and manufacturing resources.

Wiseco Piston Inc. was the first acquisition by Dover in 1998 to begin building the framework for a larger company to dominate the performance Automotive/Powersports aftermarket. Wiseco Piston Inc. was founded in 1941 and is currently the #1 market leader in the USA for high performance pistons in the Powersports market (i.e. motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATV’s and personal watercraft). Wiseco has since expanded its base and now offers much more than just pistons; which makes them a one stop shop for aftermarket performance parts in the Powersports arena. Wiseco has also begun to expand into the automotive market and continues to gain share on custom and off the shelf pistons for import and domestic automotive applications.

Realizing the future opportunities in the European market, Wiseco and its management team pursued ProX Inter BV based in Amsterdam within six months of joining Dover. This would allow the future PMi Company to expand easily across the world and gain even more market share in a fast growing foreign market. ProX was founded in 1975 and brought its extensive line of cast pistons, connecting rod kits, bearings, and clutch baskets to the table. Their buying power and business knowledge of the US and European markets would make the ProX team a valuable asset to the future organization.

Having laid the groundwork for the Powersports market, Wiseco and their new management team put in place by the Dover Corporation set out to further expand in the Automotive market and were presented with an opportunity to acquire JE Pistons based in Huntington Beach California. JE Pistons was founded in 1947 and is the #1 market leader in the USA for high performance forged pistons in the automotive aftermarket. JE’s reputation in the automotive and racing industry made them a very valuable asset. This acquisition united the market leaders from Powersports and Automotive under one umbrella, providing a significant advantage over all competitors.

Along with the acquisition of JE came the creation of Performance Motorsports Inc. in June of 1999. While each company within PMI will continue to operate independently, they are bound by a common strategy and an intense focus on serving customer needs in the performance aftermarket. The PMI story is not unique within Dover but is an excellent example of how a focused management group with a clear strategy has been able to build up a group of complementary businesses into a cohesive business unit providing an overall system solution to a growing customer base.

K1 Technologies, which offers top quality Connecting Rods and Crankshafts at an affordable price was brought onboard in 2008. This arrangement will allow PMi to expand into the rotating assembly sector and provide a top quality alternative for our customers.

The acquisition of Innovate Motorsports in 2009 announced our entry into electronic tuning market. Based in California, Innovate Motorsports develops and manufactures universal digital tuning tools for nearly all internal combustion engines. The company’s core technologies are patent-pending digital circuits that greatly improve upon current analog designs. With the growing trend of EFI in both the automotive and powersports markets, this venture will allow us to lead the way in tuning these state of the art engines.
    One other thing I hear all the time is that PROX pistons are made by ART and they are Japanese pistons, Wsm pistons are made in Thailand - China so naturally Prox pistons are better pistons , right, nope wrong again folks ! The facts which are in print below clearly show that Art has companies in Japan and China, so where are PROX pistons made really ?

History

1917 Ikuzo Sakakibara Founded in Hongo, Tokyo
    1926 Succeeded in developing an aluminum light alloy piston
    1932 Established Art Keigokin Chuzoujo in Totsuka Yodobashi-ku, Tokyo-fu and started producing original pistons for internal combustion engines
    1941 Allowed some part of sales department to become independent and found itself as a sales company
    1943 Moved the plant to Tokiwagi in Ueda-shi during World War II
    1945 Changed the name of the company to Art Metal Mfg. Co., Ltd.
    1958 Established Fuji Metal Co., Ltd. to strengthen piston and pin department
    1964 Established Tateshina Metal Co., Ltd. in Tateshina-machi in Kitasaku-gun to produce pistons for two-wheeled vehicles
    1974 Foundation joint-ventured with Art Serina Piston Co., Ltd. in Thailand
    1980 Built Yamada Plant in Yamada, Ueda-shi
    1986 Established Asama Piston Co., Ltd. in Asahina-mura, Kitasaku-gun
    1987 Acquired Fuji Metal Co., Ltd.
    1990 Merged with Art Piston Co., Ltd.
    1993 Built Shioda plant and newly-established R&D Center in Shimonogo, Ueda-shi
    1996 Expanded Shioda Plant
    1998 Acquired ISO9001 certification
    2001 Acquired ISO14001 certification
    2002 Foundation of  joint-ventured with Anqing Art TP Pistons Co.,Ltd.in China
    2004 Acquired ISO/TS16949 certification
    2005 Foundation of joont-ventured with Binzhou Yatai Art Power Parts Co.,Ltd.in China
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-07-2015 at 09:46 PM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

I was 300SXing when 300SXing wasn't cool !

Re: Piston information you need to know, WISECO, PROX, WSM

So what else is there you ask, well I am so glad that you asked, Vertex, they are made in Italy.

Vertex Pistons, Inc.
    www.vertexpistons.com/
    Via T. Tasso, 1 - 42023 Cadelbosco Sopra (RE) - Italy Tel. +39 0522 918811 - Fax +39 0522 919087. Email: info@vertexpistons.com.

And Woosner, they are also made in Italy even though it states that they are German engineered.

WOSSNER PISTONS INC. - PROFILE
    Wossner pistons is Germany's finest aftermarket forged piston and rod manufacture and has over 25 years of experience in the high performance racing industry. Wossner is part of the Wossner group which also includes FGM (Forging Group Monale) our Italian forging house for which we supply parts for notable companies such as Fiat, Ducati, Triumph just to name a few as well as Wossner USA our distribution facility in Huntington Beach California.
    Wossner proudly manufactures both 2 and 4 stroke pistons, this gives Wossner the ability to design pistons for Automotive, Motorcycle, Snowmobile, ATV, Marine Outboard, and Watercraft engines.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 03-07-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Neat! What about wsm? Dover looks like they did some work buying all of these places up. I'd like to shake the hand that signed all that paper work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WSM made in Thailand ,I will give it to WSM their manufacturing tolerances on the pistons are very tight.
    I have been using them for some twenty years now without issues.

Good to know. Now, what about bearing manufacturers? I've heard the brand wps uses is junk and oem is kinda pricey. What is your take on that?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hellcat66's Avatar

koyo bearings are the best and japanese i believe

Koyo or Nachi are the brands you want, I am not sure who makes WSM's bearings they are made in China though.

Wow all good info. I feel like I need to buy you a beer for doing all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I do, no beer needed but if you insist I really like Corona extra lol

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JHR's Avatar

it's getting realy difficult to find 650 pistons for our kawi motors ,
    lots of neg feedback on wsm ?

Thanks

Jack

Great litterature , that's a fact jack !!! lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information