Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Piston information you need to know, WISECO, PROX, WSM

So wiesco and proX both are owned by the same company, yet make different products. The difference between forged and cast is already known. Regardless of where they are made the only things that matter are how in spec they are, the material used to make them and the process used to form that material. I'd have to see actual measurements of various pistons to make any conclusion of which is "better".
    Last edited by bored&stroked; 03-10-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    '90 Superjet: ported 760, dual 44's, B pipe, ADA head 190psi, TDR waterbox, hooker 10-16, sponsons. Wife's ride
    '94 Suuuperjet: 84mm 61x, ported, protec pipe, H2o designs waterbox, Newmiller head 175psi w/girdle, protec ride plate, Protec mod'd cdi, UMI grate, RN pole -4", rev footholds, solas prop, sweet green turf+wrap.
    '95 Raider 701: Fiberglass not SMC, Hydrotrailer hitch, ugly purple and yellow everywhere.

better out of the box? a piston can only seal so good compared to what the bore around it is. i.e. yamaha triples need to be bored with the manifold torqued down so that the bore is pulled into its shape. if you have 3 pistons that are .01 .02 and .015, they will all work if the machine work clearances each piston to a specific bore. also the clearance needs to be set for what kind of engine running it will be doing.

a WOT endurance boat, IMO, needs 0.001" or so MORE clearance than a stock rec, so that the piston can heat up more, and expand that extra thousandth of an inch without scraping all of its oil off.

im just a garage monkey that thinks he understands the chit he reads though.
    1994 1100 SJ - Dead
    1996 spec hx
    "I'm going to be installing the hooker on my driveshaft in the next two weeks." -Element3488

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

Piston information you need to know, WISECO, PROX, WSM

Uhhhh at wot the piston is actually pressing the cylinder wall. There is no space.

Film of fluid oil keeps them from seizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jobrown; 03-11-2015 at 03:48 PM.

And? The extra clearance needed or else it will seize. Ty for mucho bueno good info?
    1994 1100 SJ - Dead
    1996 spec hx
    "I'm going to be installing the hooker on my driveshaft in the next two weeks." -Element3488

Quote Originally Posted by jobrown View Post
    Uhhhh at wot the piston is actually pressing the cylinder wall. There is no space.

Film of fluid oil keeps them from seizing.
    It may be thrusting into one side of the piston wall at a time, but the piston doesn't magically expands and push againts the entire bore at all times. That would be a quickly siezed engine and would mean there was no need for rings.
    '90 Superjet: ported 760, dual 44's, B pipe, ADA head 190psi, TDR waterbox, hooker 10-16, sponsons. Wife's ride
    '94 Suuuperjet: 84mm 61x, ported, protec pipe, H2o designs waterbox, Newmiller head 175psi w/girdle, protec ride plate, Protec mod'd cdi, UMI grate, RN pole -4", rev footholds, solas prop, sweet green turf+wrap.
    '95 Raider 701: Fiberglass not SMC, Hydrotrailer hitch, ugly purple and yellow everywhere.

Quote from group k: Some fundamentals - Many people believe that piston seizures occur when engine heat causes the piston to expand larger than the size of the cylinder bore...this is not true. If you could freeze your engine "in motion" in the middle of a long full throttle pass, and disassemble it for micrometer measurement, you would find the piston to measure at a .0005" to .0015" press fit into the bore. That's right, a slight press fit! The reason that it doesn't seize is because the premix oil has such a terrific film strength that it acts as an irremovable buffer between the piston and the cylinder. That is, the bare metal surface of the piston never actually touches the bare metal surface of the cylinder because the oil stays between them. Many mechanics have experienced this phenomenon while cleaning a freshly bored cylinder. Completely dry without cleaning solvent, the piston moves through the bore with difficulty. After rinsing the piston glides all the way through with no resistance at all. This is because the solvent acts as a film between the piston and cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah next time I will dry assemble and press fit my wiseco's with a friggin mallet. Lol.

Groupk also goes on about overheating Yamaha triples with too Much compression and porting, when all they need to run stupid fast compression and porting is a rack of 44's.
    1994 1100 SJ - Dead
    1996 spec hx

Nice treah!
    But who made the piston for WSM ? Namura piston?
    I hear that namura piston made the piston for SPI/SPX piston (snowmobile)
    But the WSM piston is very similar to the spi/spx???

I know than WISECO buy the company PROX
    Rossier pipe
    7280 rpm
    Solas concord 15/23

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information