650sx aftermarket rectifier wiring question. HELP!
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

650sx aftermarket rectifier wiring question. HELP!

So I am rebuilding a 650sx from the grave and am currently reworking the ebox. This is my first ski and first time working on one. Ive read nearly every thread I could find and have found almost every answer on here from previous peoples posts and discussions. "THANKS!!!" However I searched for several hours and couldn't find one that answered this question. I bought a new rectifier as well as solenoid online to replace the corroded ones that were in the ebox. However the wires aren't even close to the same color. Pics below. I figured out some of them based on the male/female connections and how the wiring is, however there are three wires left that I cant figure out which way to hook them up and don't want to ruin the electrical parts by hooking them up wrong. I believe the two yellow wires from the stator should go to the two gray wires on the rectifier "just because they're the only two colors left" and the red rectifier wire to the black stator wire. Is this correct? pretty sure I have everything else connected right, but just want to make sure. Its a 5 wire stator and 5 wire rectifier. Thank you all for the help. This forum and its members have helped me more than anyone will know even though this is only my first question!
    IMG_0532.JPGIMG_0533.JPG

Re: 650sx aftermarket rectifier wiring question. HELP!

The first pic shows where the black wire goes and the second the black and yellow wire. I think I just need to hook the black wire to the red on the rectifier and the black and yellow is already connected. Its hard to tell from the picture in the manual because it doesn't really show where on the parts it connects to. Just that it connects to it...IMG_0537.JPGIMG_0535.JPG

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

THIS is the problem with buying a non specific aftermarket electrical part....

The black stator wire is a ground. I personally wouldn't hook it to any color but a black. The black wire with the ring...the ring goes to ground in the ebox on the stud, the ebox gets its ground reference from the black stator wire. The connector tap on that may or may not be used in your case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Based on the above diagrams, I would say the red wire on your rectifier goes to the constant power from the "BATTERY" post on the starter relay, in this case, the white or orange wire, depending on which year model ski you have...
    Last edited by JonnyX2; 01-28-2015 at 01:20 AM.
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....

Thanks for responding. There should be two wires that are grounds from the stator right? One black wire and one black/yellow wire. So the rectifier has 1 black wire, 2 reds, and 2 grays. The black wire in the rectifier with the ground post ring built into it is connected to the black/yellow wire in the stator. The red wire with the male connection is connected to the starter relay. So on the rectifier this leaves me with two gray wires and a red wire. But the stator side of things has two yellow wires and a black wire. Gray wires will connect with yellow for the alternating current to the rectifier. However this leaves red wire in the rectifier to hook up to black wire in stator. I did some searching and found this pic to another 650 rectifier off Amazon. Now I can create a ground no big deal, but where would this other positive be connected to? image.jpg

What year is your ski?

Ski is a 91 but motor is an 88 I believe. I will have to look on the motor because I believe the motor was replaced at some point.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

The second red wire hooks to nothing, pretty much the same on any rectifier, one two or three AC wires going in depending on the system, one ground and one hot, this is all that is required to make it work, the red wire both senses voltage for the regulator and feeds voltage back to the battery for charging.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 01-28-2015 at 10:02 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information