Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

EME Footholds on 650sx

So I haven't been on here in a couple years but I've decided to put EME footholds on my 89 Kawasaki 650sx and I'm currently having trouble with them. I've done my research on how to install footholds correctly and all the necessary steps to making everything go smoothly but now I have a hiccup on my hands and would like to know if anyone out there has any suggestions or tips for me.

When I purchased the footholds the website said they fit all PWC models and I had seen that people had put them in their 650's but I seem to be having trouble. I have removed all the necessary foam from the hull and the foothold itself is hitting the other side of the hull; restricting the foothold from seating flush against the side rails on the actual part of the ski you stand on.

Does anyone out there know what I'm either doing wrong or overseeing???

Thank you!

Re: EME Footholds on 650sx

I'm in the same boat so to speak. 91 650sx and EME's. Havent decided if im just going to cut out part of the foothold and reglass it so its shorter and will fit flush, or build up around using foam, epoxy filler and then glassing for the reinforcement. either way its going to be a PITA to get it flush. If I figure it out and it works well Ill post up about it with pics. Good luck!

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks! And I hope it works out for you as well. Im completely inexperienced with fiberglass and epoxies that im kind of stuck at the moment. definitely looking for help on this one.

The fiber glassing isn't really as bad as it sounds. Intimidating at first, but doesn't take long to get the hang of. make sure you have a solid backing to glass against without air pockets. I'm going to rivet in the footholds then drill holes to pour the expanding foam into and allow the foam to expand. Any spot where the footholds aren't flush the foam should escape through. Sand it down flush and put some epoxy over the foam then lay pre-cut length of glass down put a little more epoxy over the glass and get it as flat as possible with as little epoxy as possible. you don't want to have "pools" of epoxy, just enough to saturate the glass thoroughly. make sure the glass covers at least 3/4 of an inch on both sides of the footholds and the hull and do several layers. 3-4 will be strong enough. The foam will add structural strength and a nice smooth transition for the glass to adhere to and to reduce air pockets. Air pockets= weakness in the structural integrity. Keep it all as clean looking as you can. That way theres less to have to sand out later and it makes for better transition lines. "Learned this the hard way when I built my duck hunting layout boat. Rough edges makes for a lot of sanding and filling later." 2 part expanding closed cell foam 4lb density will be plenty to supply the needed structural integrity for the footholds. As far as getting everything flush before pouring the foam im not really sure its going to happen without reshaping the footholds. They don't seem to fit all that great in the 650 from what Ive been seeing on my ski. They will work, but some transitioning with foam and glass are going to be required.

Did you ever glass in your footholds? Just did some work with mine. Riveted in, epoxy resin filler to transition the edges and fill gaps, and foamed. Need to finish the transitions then glass. Looks messy in the pics but I've cleaned it up and sanded since then. image.jpg

PWCToday Newbie

I agree that either way its going to be a PITA to get it flush. If I figure it out and it works well Ill post up about it with pics. Good luck!

I was able to get it to look good with a lot of glass work and using the foam and epoxy filler as a good base. Here's some pics after I painted it and got the footholds done. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thread Information