Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    PWCToday Regular

Re: Where to start? 1996 Tigershark Monte Carlo 770

Hey, quick question, what do you guys think the exhaust expansion pipe is made of? I'm assuming its aluminum but I don't want to make assumptions before I go in to weld the cracks.

PWCToday Regular

Good afternoon everyone.

I just wanted to share the experience from the weekend.

I got the shark out on the water! There's still a leak from the exhaust but I think the bilge pump can handle it if it gets to that point.

Thanks again for the help.

PWCToday Regular

Good afternoon everyone. I got the expansion chamber off and there is a GIGANTIC crack in it. I was planning on repairing the cracks but this is too big to repair. I'm in the market for a new one. Anyone have an expansion chamber for a 96 Montecarlo 770 they can part with?

post a pic and ill look.. I have one off a 97 770

PWCToday Regular

Thank you cleetus. I just purchased an expansion chamber from ebay for a 96 daytona 770 (part number matched), a new floating bearing assembly from amazon, and a drive shaft coupler cover (thing was slinging grease all over the inside of the ski). When I say there was a crack in the expansion chamber what I really mean is that it had blown off a chunk of metal about 2 inches square. The ski lived its life in salt water and from what I'm hearing and seeing I don't believe it had ever been flushed. The exhaust was FULL of salt. The engine had been replaced (the exhaust hadn't) so I'm hoping its okay, but I think I ought to pull the head and at least assess the salt situation. No good!

I took it out this past weekend to see if the bilge could really hold up at the rate the water was leaking in. I gave the ski full throttle, it responded nicely, but I noticed that the ski did NOT want to turn like I expected. It sort of felt like it was sinking... So I tied it up at the dock and found a substantial amount of water. The bilge was obviously not keeping up. I ran the bilge for a bit to get the water level down to a low roar and while doing so I noticed water was slowly (but consistently) dribbling in through the floating bearing assembly.

I'm optimistic that replacing the parts listed above will greatly improve the ski's reliability. It runs great by the way. After a priming cycle at the beginning of the day. It starts immediately thereafter for the rest of the day.

I'm planning on painting the exhaust when it arrives, any color/paint recommendations? I've been painting everything with high performance primer, and rustoleum high performance enamel but I cant find it in purple. I'm thinking about blue so as to match the color scheme on the hull however, I'm wide open to suggestions.

Savannah Volvo guy, I'm a Volvo guy that use to live in Savannah, still have a megasquirted, big rod'd, m47, big valved 531'd T+t 744 outside

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Volvo Guy View Post

I noticed water was slowly (but consistently) dribbling in through the floating bearing assembly.
    You MUST grease the floating bearing at least every other tank of fuel but I typically grease before every ride. Not only is the floating bearing just an oil bushing (meaning the grease layer is the bearing it's self) it's also the only thing stopping water from flooding into the hull. This is one of the worst designed parts that Arctic cat has ever produced but it's crude and it works. Your drive shaft is more than likely scored/pitted if it was ran with out grease as well. The shaft is the inner race, the grease film is the bearing, and the floating bearing is the outer race. Without the grease you get metal on metal x(
    Own:
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    94' Montego (my first) sold
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed.
    97' Daytona 1000 sold
    99' TS770R sold

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information