Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: dyno set up

dyno set up

i am just curious when you were dyno seadoo engines what were you using to keep the engine cool. i completely realize that i can use a hose but i was wondering at what kind of pressure. i would assume with the water injection sprayers will work differently at different pressures just like a fuel injector.

I am just curious if you used just a straight garden hose with no regulator or a water source with a regulator on it and if that is the case what did you use for pressure.

I am just curious cause i am going to set up a dyno for my 787 and was wondering about the water pressure??

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home kawi66's Avatar

Re: dyno set up

Quote Originally Posted by holmes99 View Post
    i am just curious when you were dyno seadoo engines what were you using to keep the engine cool. i completely realize that i can use a hose but i was wondering at what kind of pressure. i would assume with the water injection sprayers will work differently at different pressures just like a fuel injector.

I am just curious if you used just a straight garden hose with no regulator or a water source with a regulator on it and if that is the case what did you use for pressure.

I am just curious cause i am going to set up a dyno for my 787 and was wondering about the water pressure??
    When I did it we just let the hose run and used msd water injection valves,it was very interesting..my mod did 135-140 hp.
    The biggest thing i learned was that usable power in jet ski's does not translate exactly from dyno to the water.we built twin pipes that made well over 150hp but had serious low end pressurizing problems off idle in the water.once they hit they hit hard with big rpm(over 8200)but they had a bad off idle stumble.
    we had some good ideas on how to correct it but i quit racing that class before we put them to use.

good luck....
    1997 team Kawasaki carbon zxi 1100
    1997 atm lightweight zxi 1100

Quote Originally Posted by kawi66 View Post
    When I did it we just let the hose run and used msd water injection valves,it was very interesting..my mod did 135-140 hp.
    The biggest thing i learned was that usable power in jet ski's does not translate exactly from dyno to the water.we built twin pipes that made well over 150hp but had serious low end pressurizing problems off idle in the water.once they hit they hit hard with big rpm(over 8200)but they had a bad off idle stumble.
    we had some good ideas on how to correct it but i quit racing that class before we put them to use.

good luck....
    did you do any testing with water temp,if so what temp made the most power, 120 -140????
    RGR Racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by kartracer41 View Post
    did you do any testing with water temp,if so what temp made the most power, 120 -140????
    We did not change any water temps,I was on a short time schedule every time we worked on it. He was a sled builder in Canada and took my project as a side deal..
    He did build some sleds that raced on water.
    I know that sled technology has kept moving after watercraft stopped.the average 800 skidoo was making 155 hp while I was there a few years back.
    That stock skidoo rpm band mimicked my 800 very close all the way through but just made more power everywhere.i wish I could have just put that I'm my hx!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kawi66 View Post

good luck....

PJS made that mistake, Tap Water, on many of their pipes.

The problem is the tap water only provides 4 psi of flowing water pressure, and the Sea Doo pump
    supplies 50psi of flowing water pressure to the engine. Small engines, 580's were about 40 psi.

That difference creates more HP on the dyno and significantly less in the water. The difference
    in power would be less with dry pipes.

A large centrifugal pump can provide 40psi, but I am not sure it will produce 50psi. You may.
    need a gear pump to properly reproduce pump pressure.

Testing pump water pressure before and after dyno testing is a good habit, and for race tune too.

If you are testing pipes, be sure to pressure test them before they are dyno tested.

Bill M.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Quote Originally Posted by wmazz View Post
    PJS made that mistake, Tap Water, on many of their pipes.

The problem is the tap water only provides 4 psi of flowing water pressure, and the Sea Doo pump
    supplies 50psi of flowing water pressure to the engine. Small engines, 580's were about 40 psi.

That difference creates more HP on the dyno and significantly less in the water. The difference
    in power would be less with dry pipes.

A large centrifugal pump can provide 40psi, but I am not sure it will produce 50psi. You may.
    need a gear pump to properly reproduce pump pressure.

Testing pump water pressure before and after dyno testing is a good habit, and for race tune too.

If you are testing pipes, be sure to pressure test them before they are dyno tested.

Bill M.
    The custom pipes we built were dry. I was adding ewi to them at the end but never got it done.we tested the spec 2 pipe as a base line with water injection.He is a very good builder,he measured the ports ,timing etc and guessed the engine would do 140hp which is exactly what it did.It was a miller stage 5..I would guess 140hp is in the ball park for that motor.I believe Mel told me he never got one much over 150.(i could be wrong it was years ago)....The twin pipes did 158hp at 8250 rpm.

It was a great learning experience even though we never completed it.

DSC01399.JPGtwins 001.jpg

This pipe was builded by jaws performance?(greg)
    Rossier 7250 rpm
    110 mid pipe/200 stinger
    Head 43cc/45 squish
    Strak swirl 17/22

Quote Originally Posted by mandriva View Post
    This pipe was builded by jaws performance?(greg)
    Yes it was.

Yours pipe fit on X4? Or only HX....do you have still.....Jaws performance and psi performance is best compagny who build pipe snowmobile! Do you tryed ECWI
    Rossier 7250 rpm
    110 mid pipe/200 stinger
    Head 43cc/45 squish
    Strak swirl 17/22

Thread Information