User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Which Yama VX to get?

Hey guys, so I've decided to replace my tired old Seadoo GTS with a Yamaha VX. I want a nice, reliable cruiser that gets good fuel economy. The VX seems to do just that, but what year to get? I heard that some years had various problems. Also, I read somewhere that they splash you in the face at every wave you encounter. Is that true for any/all of them? Also, is it worth getting the "Deluxe" vs just the 110? What amenities does it come with that the base model doesn't? Any argument for getting the FX besides more power? I'm not very interested in power here as that's what my old X4 is for. I'm just looking for a reliable, trouble-free gas sipping cruiser that I can take on long cruises.
    Thanks!

PWCToday Regular

Re: Which Yama VX to get?

I know old thread but here's my opinion. Check out the Yamie 4stroke sub thread in technical.

FX is a great boat. Four stroke 1100 motor is nearly bullet proof if you regular change oil and plugs.
    Don't overfill with oil. It's a dry sump and you check level when warm and immediately after shut off - too much and it will blow into you air filter box and trash $80 filter.
    To winterize take out of water run for a 5 seconds and blip the throttle a couple times. Has open water system.
    Don't run water into the hose adapter unless motor started or you can get water in the intake and hence the cylinder.
    Great ride on smooth water. More than little chops gets rough. If you have choppy conditions a lot you'll want the FX.
    VX - deluxe has reverse which I consider mandatory.
    VX-R has the larger FXHO motor and is a screamer.

Quote Originally Posted by bfunke View Post
    I know old thread but here's my opinion. Check out the Yamie 4stroke sub thread in technical.

FX is a great boat. Four stroke 1100 motor is nearly bullet proof if you regular change oil and plugs.
    Don't overfill with oil. It's a dry sump and you check level when warm and immediately after shut off - too much and it will blow into you air filter box and trash $80 filter.
    To winterize take out of water run for a 5 seconds and blip the throttle a couple times. Has open water system.
    Don't run water into the hose adapter unless motor started or you can get water in the intake and hence the cylinder.
    Great ride on smooth water. More than little chops gets rough. If you have choppy conditions a lot you'll want the FX.
    VX - deluxe has reverse which I consider mandatory.
    VX-R has the larger FXHO motor and is a screamer.
    Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of having horsepower on demand, but this jet ski would be primarily for long-distance cruising. If I were to maintain cruising speed and keep the rpms down, would an HO engine get the same economy as a VX engine?

PWCToday Newbie

I have the 2015 FX Cruiser HO (has 3 up seat). The HO version is not super charged but has the big 1,820cc motor. The most I gas I have used in a day is 8.5 gallons and that was with 2 people on it running mostly between 30 and 40 MPH, so I am real happy with the fuel consumption. It is plenty fast and has tons of torque. I have only opened it up a few times but it hit 64MPH with 2 people and a full tank of gas (18.5 gallons) although it is only supposed to hit 62. IMO, unless you are an absolute speed freak, there's no reason to get the super charger version as it will just suck up a lot more gas. The power trim and cruise control are nice on the FX as the cruise keeps you at a steady pace when bouncing over big waves without tiring out your trigger finger.

Regarding the VX, you will likely get high 40s to 50MPH out of a VX deluxe.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by idoseadoo View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of having horsepower on demand, but this jet ski would be primarily for long-distance cruising. If I were to maintain cruising speed and keep the rpms down, would an HO engine get the same economy as a VX engine?
    In theory, to to cruse at the same speed with the 2 different motors, the HO would be working less using less fuel, but has more displacement requiring more fuel, so its a crap shoot
    2014 Yamaha VXR - New go-fast toy
    2015 Seadoo Spark 3up HO.
    2005 Chevy Colorado, 2 inch lift, 33 inch tires - Tow vehicle #1
    2013 Jeep Rubicon, 3 inch lift, 37 inch tires - Tow Vehicle #2

Thread Information