» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Miami to Bimini May 2015

If we have boat going I will be less scared

Quote Originally Posted by Offroadie View Post
    I am confident that I could make it on a stand-up... but I wouldn't be able to keep pace with couches, and I would need a support vessel for extra fuel and possible mechanical failure.
    Anybody else looked in to doing this on stand ups? A few friends and I were thinking about it.

PWCToday Regular

Good ahead! I read all of this. I agree 20 to 30 mph. Conserve fuel. Have fun crossing! I did it twice now and the last time I had over 30 skies go and everyone had a fun trip! Over and back safely! We also stayed at Bimini Sands due to safety, float docks, rooms, food, security, fuel. Right the marina above the store they serve food and a good price from 8am to 2pm. Big Breakfast on the avg 9 bucks!
    Two years in a row in went end of May beginning of June. Each time I studied and watched the patterns. This is why next time I am leaving in the mid of June to the end of June. Water across calling for and had been 0-2 ft 5 to 10 secs between with winds not exceeding 10 knots. I have to friends going next year. I am going back in 2016 with some new faces and old faces!
    Last edited by ron0814; 10-10-2014 at 06:04 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

If you plan on going on a stand up plan on hiring a boat designated just for hauling you back lol

We are going to have a good time and having to worry about someone on a stand up the entire trip doesn't sound fun! Lol

I have receive emails from about 30 people interested in joining our crossing.

Like I said join the face book page sea doo crossing.
    Kyle Luttrell
    404-516-8934
    Kyle@luttrellracing.com
    www.IonicEdgeChassis.com

Miami to Bimini May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ron0814 View Post
    Good ahead! I read all of this. I agree 20 to 30 mph. Conserve fuel. Have fun crossing! I did it twice now and the last time I had over 30 skies go and everyone had a fun trip! Over and back safely! We also stayed at Bimini Sands due to safety, float docks, rooms, food, security, fuel. Right the marina above the store they serve food and a good price from 8am to 2pm. Big Breakfast on the avg 9 bucks!
    Two years in a row in went end of May beginning of June. Each time I studied and watched the patterns. This is why next time I am leaving in the mid of June to the end of June. Water across calling for and had been 0-2 ft 5 to 10 secs between with winds not exceeding 10 knots. I have to friends going next year. I am going back in 2016 with some new faces and old faces!
    You are so correct we looked at May for my groups trip coming up as well and it looks from past reporting it can be hit or miss in May but once you get to that second week of June the waveforcasts look like a lake 90% of the time through August

PWCToday Newbie

Kyle I'm in Cumming, GA on Lanier and looks like your close. Maybe we could convoy down if the dates work out. I will be dragging two down if I can be part of it and have 2-3 other guys that may drag a couple down. I do have a 24'x8-1/2 enclosed trailer that could hold 4 or 5 but not sure how to load and unload them.

PWCToday Newbie

Also I could not find the facebook page, is this the one out of Texas? https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...56663&sk=about

PWCToday Newbie

Hey,
    That sounds great.
    Shoot me a text sometime.
    Kyle Luttrell
    404-516-8934
    Kyle@luttrellracing.com
    www.IonicEdgeChassis.com

Miami to Bimini May 2015

PWCToday Newbie

A group of riders and I have been thinking about making this trip for some time now and are considering joining an experienced group of riders to go with or possibly a Watertop Bimini Road Rally.

Like my group, there may be others that may benefit from the knowledge and experience of seasoned riders regarding the variables and related values that are to be considered when undertaking this trip. Many of the members have already posted some and we thank them for doing so. If anyone can point to a site or a resource that itemizes some of the following, it would be greatly appreciated: Logistics; Avge fuel consumption; lodging; essential equipment; optional equipment; fees; budget range; The benefits and detriments of taking a particular type of PWC (2008 Yamaha FX SHO; 1997 Sea-doo GTI 3 stroke 2 hrs on full rebuild; 2005 Yamaha FX 140 2 hrs on full rebuild) etc. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

I hope some of this helps. I would probably leave the 1997 GTI at home if nothing more than the fuel factor. Mpg will be different on all those ski so you will have to figure it out. A modern four stroke 3 seater non super charged ski ultra LX or FX Ho type ski will burn 10 to 13 gallons in good sea and probably more if its rough. Both of the older skis you are thinking of taking are lighter and will take a little more of a beating than the fx sho. I will post a basic list of items below this that you will want to consider taking. Cost of this trip varies on many things but I find it to be the thing must people drastically under estimate on these trips. Cost for you to get to Miami and return home in fuel towing skis will probably be in the $500 plus range coming from New York. Fuel on the skis will probably run you about $300-400 per ski fuel in the bahamas is in the $7-$8 per gallon range it may be a little less as that market is falling right now lodging will run about $300 per night after taxes and fees. If staying 5 days budget $500 per person for food and beverages at least. $150 per ski Bahamas entry fee. slip rental is cheap $45 per night can hold up to 5 skis in one slip at Bimini Sands. These are just basic costs there will be more so about $1700-2000 at minimum per person on your trip if costs are split for a 5 night stay and this is not including lodging and parking in Miami also not including any equipment you may need to get for this trip. I spent almost $1200 just in equipment for the trip we had planed last September only to find out there where more things i wish i had.

Personal gear:
    Life jacket
    Eye wear - http://amzn.com/B001KAYL0E
    Head cover
    Sun protection - http://amzn.com/B00A1W46ZM
    Sturdy water shoes recommended - http://amzn.com/B008LUONOA
    Waterski gloves
    Active/waterproof sunscreen
    Jet ski gear:
    Dry bag/box for cell phone, camera, etc.
    2 5 gal. gas cans
    Food/drinks for a full day
    Rope
    Small tool kit if you want
    GPS locator beacon
    marine radios
    marine GPS
    first aid kits
    Satellite Phone optional as long as one person caries one you are good
    Miscellaneous:
    Dry bag for clothing
    Snorkel/dive gear
    Phone/camera chargers
    Passport
    Cash (many places accept Visa/MC, ATMs are hard to find generally)
    Customs documents
    Ski registration info
    The "cruising fee" is $150 when we go through customs.
    Gas will probably be $7-8/gal. you could easily go through 30-50 gallons each.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information