Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

wtb: js550 parts

I had my buddy pick up JS for $100. It's in corpus so I haven't seen it yet. From the sounds of it, I needaairbox assembly. Apparently the spark plug wires are missing and from what I hear, they coils are a part of the e-box?

PWCToday Newbie

Re: wtb: js550 parts

Update: still haven't seen the ski in person, but I did get some more info and pics 2014-08-26_20-11-54.png.2014-08-26_20-10-19.png

The seller explained that the e box is there and I should only need the plug wires
    Also, the cqrburqtors are a couple sizes larger than stock carbs. Any info opes

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Camasaki's Avatar

Its a lot of work to replace wires assuming the cdi is good. Thats a 38bn mikuni carb. When you say airbox assembly I'm assuming you need a waterbox. I have plenty of stock and a few aftermarket waterboxes if needed.

PWCToday Newbie

Awesome. Thanks for your help.

I dont doubt your knowledge, I just want to make sure I don't buy the wrong stuff, but do you know for sure that's the size?
    I guess, sorry I'm fairly new to skis. Whatever is missing off the top of the carb. It has an aftermarket exhaust, do I need a specific filter to work with the exhaust/carb modification? If you need, I can get a list of the upgrades.
    How much are you asking for on the waterbox?
    When you say its hard to replace the wires, do you mean "when replacing the spark plug wires to coil

yes its a pain in the *** to replace the plug wires, do yourself a favor and buy a new coil. I guess it could be a 34bn and not a 38bn, either way it will take the same filters/flame arrestors. easy way to tell if its a 38 or 34, the 38 has 3 adjustment pilots, idol, low, and high.
    Last edited by Camasaki; 08-28-2014 at 07:34 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Isn't the coil part of the e box? Can I replace them seperately?

What do the adjustment pilots look like? My friend picked the ski up for,me and its 3 hours away at the moment. I need to have an idea what to discribe for him to look for.

What are you asking for on the waterboxes and do you need specific information on the mods to keep the air/fuel ratio good as far as choosing the right box/filter

Thanks for your time and assistance
    Last edited by goatse; 08-28-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

The coil is inside the ebox, the wires are a part of the coil. They CAN be replaced but its a btch. The "filter" on the carb is called a flame arrestor.

The biggest issue with buying a ski like that is you have no idea of its condition because you can hardly test anything, and can quickly become a money pit just to become rideable. I would worry about flame arrestors, waterboxes and other stuff after you figure out if you can even make it run. You don't need any of that just to get it running, and I wouldn't buy ANYTHING that you don't absolutely need to make it run, and I wouldn't even buy that before I did a thorough inspection to see if its even worth the effort. For all you know the engine is complete trash. Hope its not, good luck with your project.

btw, nice screen name that's old school gross right there...
    Last edited by JonnyX2; 08-28-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday Newbie

Yea I agree but I couldn't pass the deal because right off the bat I know it has a lot of AM parts that will fit my other 550 and the machine only cost me $100 with a clean title. The engine isn't seized and if I can't get it going, than I will swap it later when I find a good 650cc or better. My pops is very mechanically inclined and can help me when he has the time. Couldn't pass this deal up. Hell, I can use the handlebar pole as a backup for when I eventually break mine and be satasfied with my investment

Yea I was considering the same, I suppose I am being impatient but I am confident that I will get er running lol. I just wanted to get all the parts in order so I could attempt to get her on the water next weekend. You're right I do need to focus on the important things and get her to crank before investing in the non essentials.

So should I look for the coils/wires or just get the entire e box?

Lol thanks, yea very disturbing picture wasn't sure if anyone would remember that nasty sht. Lol
    Last edited by goatse; 08-29-2014 at 01:46 AM.

that's up to you, compare prices, maybe you will get a good deal on a used box.

if i were you i would pull your ebox out of your running 550 and play with the new ski. once you find out it runs, test out all the components in the new ebox to see what needs to be replaced.

PWCToday Newbie

Great idea on swapping my current 550's box... It looks pretty easy to remove, would you agree?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information