Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

complete fuel system flush? (very dirty gas) zxi1100

I have a zxi1100 with very nasty fuel. Everything from water to dirt. I know she cranks but she needs some love... Unfortunately I only have basic knowledge of how engines work. I've tried google without any luck. The only stamps on the carbs are "keihin cdcv"

*Any ideas on flushing the tank?
    *Flushing the lines? - does this machine have a fuel pump? after flushing the tank, can I run fresh fuel through the lines before installing the carbs to avoid filling them with dirty fuel after I clean the carbs?
    *any good detailed instructions on cleaning the carbs?

Thanks a lot

PWCToday Newbie

Re: complete fuel system flush? (very dirty gas) zxi1100

Bump

Frequent Poster
    Blog Entries

There is no easy way to clean the fuel tank. If it has water and dirt in it the best way to clean it would be to remove the tank. To do that you would need to remove the engine. No fun. You could try filling it up with water and then siphon it out. Do that a couple hundred times till you get all the stuff out. Then you would be left with a bit of water in the tank. Maybe let it evaporate out? Either way its going to be a long process.

You have CV carbs and they have built in fuel pump. Looking at a picture of these carbs it is the large round piece on the side of the carb rack with two 1/4" nipples coming out of it. I would flush or replace the lines if it is as bad as you say. Dont forget the fuel filter and check the restrictor in the fuel line return, it may be clogged.

The carbs are pretty straight forward to clean, buy an owners manual so that you can get all the technical specs for quick reference. Sometimes you can find them for free download. Be aware though that there is a difference in carb design from 96-97 and all of the 1100's produced 98+ so make sure to get the right manual.
    1996 Kawasaki 1100 Zxi:
    80.75 mm, ADA Racing Billet Head, 30cc domes, ported cases
    Delta 3 reeds, ADA Racing Angled Reed Spacer
    Mikuni 46's, Dasa Intake, Prok Flame Arrestors
    Ported exhaust, dry pipe, enlarged stinger (with water injection), modified waterbox
    Dual cooling
    Sensor jump timing advance
    Solas Concord 13/19 with 2" extended nozzle

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...253&highlight= the CV carbs can be a PIA to rebuild , biggest issue is parts supply ,the fuel pump kit is not avalible , easiest way to flush those carbs , so as you dont need to pull them to bits and risking them not sealing properly ,> get a bulb primmer for an outboard engine > attach it to the return line at the carb rack > put some fresh fuel into a bucket > run a hose from the bucket of fuel to the IN fitting in the carb rack > pump the primmer till clean fresh fuel flows ... this does not ensure that the insides of the carbs and fuel pump are going to be totaly cleaned , but there is your chioce , loosing the carb seal because not sealing and risk a engine lean out , spending hours chasing a carb kit and , either finding it is not the correct one for your carbs or finding a OEM kit "at about $ 60 -75 per carb "" x 3 that is expencive
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Ragged Edge Racing's Avatar

If the tank has sludge in it like mine did, I used boiling water in the tank and it softened it up. Took a while and you can siphon it out. As to the carbs, I can't comment as I have only dealt with the non CV carbs.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Edge Racing View Post
    If the tank has sludge in it like mine did, I used boiling water in the tank and it softened it up. Took a while and you can siphon it out. As to the carbs, I can't comment as I have only dealt with the non CV carbs.
    LMAO , i used 40 litre draino and boiling water high concentrate mixture in a mates ZXI that he bought which was real bad , soon got it clean after leaving it in there a couple of hours , that $hit even cleaned the plastic back to white in some places , left it sit overnight "after siphoning the solution out" with about 20 litres of fresh fuel , then used the proceedure above to remove the water and draino that had settled
    Last edited by hyosung; 08-02-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Frequent Poster
    Blog Entries

For that price buy a set of cdk2 off eBay and a rebuild kit. New better carbs out the door for $150ish
    1996 Kawasaki 1100 Zxi:
    80.75 mm, ADA Racing Billet Head, 30cc domes, ported cases
    Delta 3 reeds, ADA Racing Angled Reed Spacer
    Mikuni 46's, Dasa Intake, Prok Flame Arrestors
    Ported exhaust, dry pipe, enlarged stinger (with water injection), modified waterbox
    Dual cooling
    Sensor jump timing advance
    Solas Concord 13/19 with 2" extended nozzle

Thread Information