pxctoday

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    12

    Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    Starting a new job middle of August and moving down from NC. Been riding skis for many years, mostly in surf on the east coast. Never ridden in the Tampa area before.

    1. I love surf but it seems it's not so frequent on the west coast. Should I buy an XP limited or XPDI and have the legs to blast around rivers, bats etc. when the surf is flat? Or a Superjet or SXR to chase boat wakes?

    2. Where to put in?

    3. Will I need an AWD car or SUV/truck to launch on the west coast?

    4. Any dirt bike riders who also ski?

  2. #2
    Top Dog Doug997's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,243

    Re: Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    There are all kinds of options in the Tampa Bay area. There are some rivers but plenty of inland lakes too. You also drive from one coast to the other in a matter of 2 1/2 hours. I-4.......there are lots of sandbars to hang out on. As soon as a storm moves through, you have plenty of waves in the gulf. Good luck with your move. I am getting ready to move back to the southwest from Chapel Hill, NC.
    2017 Kawasaki SXR 1500
    2013 Yamaha Super Jet-HighSpeed Industries Limited
    2011 Kawasaki SXR 800

  3. #3
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    12

    Re: Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    Thanks, good info. What about launching - AWD necessary?

  4. #4
    Frequent Poster Squid121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    293

    Re: Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    I live in the area you're moving to. We ride with our friends at Dunedin Causeway most of the time on our Blasters, X2s, and stand ups. It's not big surf but good enough if your not riding a couch. There are a few rivers within an hour or so that we ride the same skis at. The rivers are tight and twisty, not just wide open, so it makes for good fun on the smaller skis. Of course in January there is the Daytona Freeride which is a huge event now, but you'll need a Blaster, X2, or stand up to ride there. Like Doug said, the east coast is only a 2 hour ride away and there are several spots to ride when we make the trip over for the day or weekend.

    I have a 4wd Tundra, Dunedin is a beach sand launch so it comes in handy sometimes. AWD or 4WD is always good to have.

    Most of the my buddies I ride with all have dirt bikes so we alternate between skis and bikes. This past weekend we rode one of the rivers all day Saturday and dirt all day Sunday. There were 4 of us on the river and about 20 or so Sunday on dirt, good times.

    Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    12

    Re: Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    Yeah, I used to live near Daytona and have attended several of the freerides.

    Tell me about the dirt biking scene there - do you go to Croom or are there trails closer?

  6. #6
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Spim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,683

    Re: Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squid121 View Post
    I live in the area you're moving to. We ride with our friends at Dunedin Causeway most of the time on our Blasters, X2s, and stand ups. It's not big surf but good enough if your not riding a couch. There are a few rivers within an hour or so that we ride the same skis at. The rivers are tight and twisty, not just wide open, so it makes for good fun on the smaller skis. Of course in January there is the Daytona Freeride which is a huge event now, but you'll need a Blaster, X2, or stand up to ride there. Like Doug said, the east coast is only a 2 hour ride away and there are several spots to ride when we make the trip over for the day or weekend.

    I have a 4wd Tundra, Dunedin is a beach sand launch so it comes in handy sometimes. AWD or 4WD is always good to have.

    Most of the my buddies I ride with all have dirt bikes so we alternate between skis and bikes. This past weekend we rode one of the rivers all day Saturday and dirt all day Sunday. There were 4 of us on the river and about 20 or so Sunday on dirt, good times.

    Hope this helps.
    I'm a coupe hours south, Ft Myers, and i'd like to know more details about the river's up towards Tampa, I need to mix it up.

    I cross several of them on the way north, but I don't know much about the options.

    Quite honestly i'm tired of my local rides spots, we have about 20 locally, but i've been to all of them a dozen times, i'd love a change in scenery. Can you provide some specifics.. like ramp address/names ?
    The problem with normal is that it just keeps getting worse...

    I would rather sit than quit...
    ______________________________
    Advertise here, Low Monthly Rates !

  7. #7
    Frequent Poster Squid121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    293

    Re: Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkiDaddy7 View Post
    Yeah, I used to live near Daytona and have attended several of the freerides.

    Tell me about the dirt biking scene there - do you go to Croom or are there trails closer?
    Croom is as popular as it ever was, we were there Sunday. There are a couple of other places like Hard Rock I think it's called and of course a few tracks. I only have a CR250, but most of the guys I ride with have dirt, dual sport and adventure bikes. They do dual sport and adventure bike rides all over the state and beyond, my next bike will be a dual sport.

    There are not many areas close to New Port Richey where you can ride off road that I know of, but Croom is only an hour away. I've had my CR now for a couple months and I am just getting back in to dirt bikes after not having one for about 14 years, so I'm learning what areas may have closed since I rode last.

    There are lots of people in the area who ride and who know more spots than I do I'm sure.

    Do you know where in NPR you will be living?

  8. #8
    Frequent Poster Squid121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    293

    Re: Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spim View Post
    I'm a coupe hours south, Ft Myers, and i'd like to know more details about the river's up towards Tampa, I need to mix it up.

    I cross several of them on the way north, but I don't know much about the options.

    Quite honestly i'm tired of my local rides spots, we have about 20 locally, but i've been to all of them a dozen times, i'd love a change in scenery. Can you provide some specifics.. like ramp address/names ?
    I will send you a pm.

  9. #9
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    12

    Re: Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    IDK yet, hopefully soon.

    I'm hoping to sell my 2012 KTM 250XC and get both an older dirt bike and a standup, but man, standup prices are so high since I got out of the scene in 2007! Can't seem to find a clean, semi-stock ski, they're either all clapped out or fully modded to the hilt.

  10. #10
    Frequent Poster Squid121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    293

    Re: Moving to New Port Richey area - Where to launch?

    Keep in touch and let me know when you get here and want to ride sometime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0