User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Re: Trying to setup dual 38 carbs for very hot 650 X2!

Well that's cool to know

I have certainly not enjoyed the quality of non genuine diaphragms and stuff

Hell I have a pair of sudcos on a 550 reed boat and I had a fueling offset between the two, had a look inside and one was fitted with a non genuine rebuild kit

I swapped out the parts from an old cdk28 I had here and it works much better

So maybe you gotta pick and choose your parts

My ski is pretty stock and on original bore. I honed they cylinders and put in new rings plus put in new crank seals. I could not see any signs of anyone having ground on the ports, so I suspect the porting is stock. It has what appears to be an aftermarket exhaust cone (not a full a/m pipe), so that likely makes little/no difference. I do suspect the head has been milled as there was only the slightest lip. The only other thing I did was to drill out the brass fittings in the cooling system to slightly increase coolant flow. Sooooo, these carbs are probably overkill for an otherwise relatively stock ski. I will play with them for a while, but don't think I'll invest significant $$ into them. If anyone wants to buy them from me - shoot me an offer!

The main jet is marked 90, so I assume that means 0.9 mm and that's what it measures as best I can estimate.

My primary objective is to get this thing to be a fun, reliable, smooth running ski for family use, so ultimate performance is not a priority right now. It seems similar in power to my modestly modified 550 (porting, PJS head), which is perfectly adequate for now. I'm just getting back into skis after a 20+ year hiatus and both skis are faster than my old 440!

AM.

90 mains will be ok, westcoast supplied these carbs at 100 main but they will have given a little headroom for AM pipe

If you can set the popoff at 8-12 psi but EQUAL on both carbs then set the low screws at 1 turn which you will find is about right and set the high screws at 2.5 turns, you can safely fire up the boat and see how she performs, expect to dial in the high screw to clean up WOT

I do hope you can stay with the duals it's a good fun setup to run and gives you lots of headroom to port your motor and put a big pipe on there and starting hunting that 5-0 marker!

Kinda hard to check the popoff when the n/s's leak almost as fast as I can pump. I ordered new genuine Mikuni viton-tipped 2.0 n/s's. I don't think I can really begin to dial in the carburetion until I get the carbs sealed up. Hoping I can avoid the cost of diaphragm kits for now. Trying to keep this a relatively low-budget project - at least that's how I explained it to my wife when I bought this second ski project! I guess I'm now committed to trying to make these babies work.

I'm hoping the 2.0's will yield a popoff within range (12ish).

AM.

AM.

Usually I find when rebuilding carbs a diaphragm kit is the last thing you need, most all issues are popoff related, so as long as no diaphragms are split or pinholed you'll be good

Made the right choice to order new parts

You can tweak the lever arm to balance the popoff between the carbs

Success! I put the 2.0 n/s's in and had a popoff of about 14ish on both carbs. Seemed a little higher than I was hoping for, but I put everything together and headed for the lake this weekend. After a bit of fiddling with the adjustment screws, I had it running beautifully. I ran out of patience in getting the idle perfect, but it pulls cleanly now from idle all the way through full throttle. Couldn't ask for cleaner carburetion at this point. Thanks for the help, Mr. Noisy. Glad I gave the dual 38's a chance.

AM.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread Information