User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Issue with my 1999 Yamaha 1200 Limited

Okay, hopefully I can explain this in a way that it will make sense.

First when I bought the ski I had the normal don't want to start issue, which just ended up being the choke is craptastic on the ski. Once I figured that out the ski was great. No more issues and would run between 53-56 MPH by the gauge not GPS.

So fast forward a week to today.

We go out on the lake and its a normal day, pull out the vise grips pull the choke up ski fires up idles fine.
    Drop the skis in run around the lake for a little while then the inlays want to ride. So I put the inlaws on the seadoo and my wife and I get on the Yamaha. While we are cursing around It almost seems like its beginning to run rough (lack of power) almost like I sucked up grass. So I start to think its was the wear ring, well I pull over (to wait on the inlaws) the ski makes a pop sounds and the power is back as it should, almost felt like it spit out what ever it sucked up.

So from there I thought all was good. Well we go back to the beach and I let the ski sit for maybe an hr or so and decided I wanted to go play, so I jump on it and its hard to start. I pull out the vise grips and it fires up but when you hit the gas it dies. so I used the choke again it fires up and I go to take off and it dies again. Then I get it started again and have to leave it roughly 1/2 choked to get it to take off once it started going I was then able to push the choke the rest of the way down, but when I let off the gas it died. I got the ski started again and after that it ran fine. Didn't feel as responsive as usual but still ran. I parked the ski for about 30 mins and went to put it on the trailer and it did the same thing again, so I just idled to the ramp and pushed it up and called it a day.

Now I have been reading and the more I read the more confused I get.

Tomorrow I plan to check the compression, since that is the first thing every one wants to know.
    then I am thinking I may need to clean the carbs out, but the ski just made 70hrs on it.

But like I said after reading about d-plates, reed valves, Wave eaters, carb rebuild kits and so on I am now more confused than I have ever been.

Also does anyone know a place to find the Service Manual for this ski?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Re: Issue with my 1999 Yamaha 1200 Limited

So the reverse cable decided to explode.
    photo.JPG

Also forgot to mention, for some reason even with a full tank the oil gauge only reads 1/2 a tank. IS this a normal thing? I am guessing no, since I have done a search and have turned up with nothing on this part.

Not sure if anyone is actually reading all this, but today I decided to fix the seadoo before diving into the Yamaha. Good news my Seadoo gas gauge now works. Figured I would try my luck with the yamaha oil gauge, yea not so lucky.... anyways.

Started to work on the yamaha figured I would go ahead and rebuild the carbs and get the d plate and wave eater stuff. SO as I am taking the plug cables off I see this.

plug.JPG

So I put a new plug in and guess what now it idles fine and is no longer running all rough. So tomorrow ill take it to the lake and see if its really fixed.

Resident Guru

may want to check inside the plug boot and make sure the nut isnt in there
    01 800XL(sold)
    96 Wave Venture 700(sold)
    95 FX-1
    02 Ultra 130 DI
    97 Wave Venture 1100
    95 Raider 1100
    94 Raider 700
    96 WB2(soon to transplant something bigger than a 760)
    00 Sea Poo GTI
    300SX w/720 Sea Doo heart
    several projects

I checked and it has vanished.
    I have however noticed a difference in the BR8ES and the BR8ES-11. The top on the 11 don't screw on or off, It is fixed and solid. At least that is how the old one I took out were. I am going to order some BR8ES-11 and see if the new ones are also the same way.

Thread Information