• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug997
    Resident Guru
    • Feb 2010

Dual 44mm Carbs on Superjet

I wanted to ask you about switching the stock 38's for 44's. I understand that there's a need for a second pulse line to be added. Is this something that GroupK could do?
    2017 Kawasaki SXR 1500
    2019 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    2020 Yamaha YZ250
  • Allistah
    I dream skis
    • Mar 2004

Re: Dual 44mm Carbs on Superjet

What mods do you have on that engine?

Comment

• Yamabooeey
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Sep 2008

You can drill cases yourself and install a pulse fitting. I have also use a "Y" before with only one pulse fitting.
      Thanks to

Optima Racing
      C57 Racing Products
      NorCal Watersports
      Newmiller Machines
      Boyko Racing
      Fly Racing
      Jettribe
      Impros
      Jettrim
      Traci Cottle Photography
      Greg Barnhart Photography
      Rhaas Products
      Rad Dudes
      DJSA Racing
      Serano Tile/Stone

Comment

• Doug997
        Resident Guru
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Allistah View Post
        What mods do you have on that engine?
        No mods yet. My plan is to buy a Factory Pipe, have the head milled a little bit so I can still run pump gas, and then add the carbs last.
        2017 Kawasaki SXR 1500
        2019 Suzuki DRZ400SM
        2020 Yamaha YZ250

Comment

• Doug997
          Resident Guru
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Yamabooeey View Post
          You can drill cases yourself and install a pulse fitting. I have also use a "Y" before with only one pulse fitting.
          Hey Norm- I would love to do it myself but I do not have the garage to do this work in. I'm a little "handicapped" when it comes to garage space here in North Carolina. I have most of my tools in Las Vegas.
          2017 Kawasaki SXR 1500
          2019 Suzuki DRZ400SM
          2020 Yamaha YZ250

Comment

• Allistah
            I dream skis
            • Mar 2004

From what I remember, Harry said that there was very little to no difference in switching from dual 38s to dual 44s. You might actually lose some bottom end by doing that.

I have a 701 Hammer kit from GroupK and I run the recommended single 44. The thing completely rips and I regularly pull away from stock 800 Skis.

To effectively use those 44s, you would have to have some aggressive porting and I'm still not sure it would be worth it. You may want to read all the docs on GroupK's site on all of the SuperJet testing they've done. It will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

Here is a tip I learned: Follow their recipes to the letter. You'll be really happy with the results. I love my Hammer kit - I'm not touching it - and the stock single 44 on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
            Last edited by Allistah; 06-27-2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Yamabooeey
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Doug997 View Post
              Hey Norm- I would love to do it myself but I do not have the garage to do this work in. I'm a little "handicapped" when it comes to garage space here in North Carolina. I have most of my tools in Las Vegas.
              You can do this if you have a reed spacer. Or someone with a drill press can drill it out for you.

Thanks to

Optima Racing
              C57 Racing Products
              NorCal Watersports
              Newmiller Machines
              Boyko Racing
              Fly Racing
              Jettribe
              Impros
              Jettrim
              Traci Cottle Photography
              Greg Barnhart Photography
              Rhaas Products
              Rad Dudes
              DJSA Racing
              Serano Tile/Stone

Comment

• Group K
                Tech Guru
                Resident Guru
                • Feb 2002

Many thanks to those that chined in before I got to the post. In general, we have gotten great results from the dual 44s (from the 760/Blaster2) on the 845 big bores. However on all the smaller bore setups (81mm-86mm pistons) the modified dual 38s have pretty consistantly given the best combination of acceleration and fuel range.

If you do fit the Blaster2 dual 44 carbs, you will need to put in the second pulse line. We have seen guys that have tried to drive both fuel pumps with a single pulse line and a "Y" fitting .... but such a setup will struggle to drive both pumps effectively at higher rpms.... we advise against it. We also advise against reed spacers on any SuperJet setup.

Respectfully, Harry Klemm

Originally posted by Doug997 View Post
                I wanted to ask you about switching the stock 38's for 44's. I understand that there's a need for a second pulse line to be added. Is this something that GroupK could do?
                Unless otherwise stated, responses to all forum posts are based on my personal experiences working within the PWC industry, and developing high performance PWCs since 1987.

www.groupk.com

Comment

• Allistah
                  I dream skis
                  • Mar 2004

Looks like I was on the right track with my post. Looks like you'd be better off sticking with the 38s.

Comment

• Doug997
                    Resident Guru
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Allistah View Post
                    Looks like I was on the right track with my post. Looks like you'd be better off sticking with the 38s.
                    Thanks for your advise.
                    2017 Kawasaki SXR 1500
                    2019 Suzuki DRZ400SM
                    2020 Yamaha YZ250

Comment

• Doug997
                      Resident Guru
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Group K View Post
                      Many thanks to those that chined in before I got to the post. In general, we have gotten great results from the dual 44s (from the 760/Blaster2) on the 845 big bores. However on all the smaller bore setups (81mm-86mm pistons) the modified dual 38s have pretty consistantly given the best combination of acceleration and fuel range.

If you do fit the Blaster2 dual 44 carbs, you will need to put in the second pulse line. We have seen guys that have tried to drive both fuel pumps with a single pulse line and a "Y" fitting .... but such a setup will struggle to drive both pumps effectively at higher rpms.... we advise against it. We also advise against reed spacers on any SuperJet setup.

Respectfully, Harry Klemm
                      Harry, thank you. Can you tell me what kind of mods I can do that would be helpful?
                      2017 Kawasaki SXR 1500
                      2019 Suzuki DRZ400SM
                      2020 Yamaha YZ250

Comment

• rdrttoy
                        • Jun 2010

Dual 44s will provide the most power. I've tried both the 38s, modified 38s, and dual 44s. The dual 44s make noticeable power over the modified 38s. If you carefully read Harry's post he said the modified 38s provide the best overall power and fuel consumption (not the best power). The 44s are a tad bit thirsty, but it's worth it. I ran dual 44s on my super jet for a while and loved them (I now run dual 46s). I also run dual 44s on my girlfriends wave blaster, she loves them too. You just have to justify the fuel consumption for the power gain. More power generally takes more fuel.

Doug, I'm sure one of your riding buddies can help you with a second pulse line. Just bring them a six pack and you will be all set. I have an extra OEM pulse fitting if you need it.
                        All of the PWC parts and service you'll ever need can be found at High Speed Industries

Comment

• spdwrx701
                          Resident Guru
                          • Apr 2002

I also used stock 38's, taper bored 38's then 44's with the boyesen manifold/reed set up. Ski was a non ported Speedwerx dry piped limited... It ran excellent set up like this. 44's were a significant upgrade even on non ported engine... Fuel consumption still less not bad at all IMO. I will also add I think the manifold set up helped a lot not just the carbs
                          Last edited by spdwrx701; 07-15-2014, 09:37 PM.
                          T-3 Performance
                          www.jet-world.com

Comment

• JSNate
                            • Apr 2010

I know this is an old thread. But.. I have a related question. I am running a ported 760 Blaster 2 engine in one of my Air Blair Darts. It does have the OEM dual 44's with dual pulse lines. Other than the porting, it has a Protec Pipe and Protec head. The 760 runs very well and strong. My question is regarding the best way to feed the fuel to the 44's? Currently I have a Cold Fusion fuel pick up with a dedicated fuel line to each Mikuni 44 and I just rebuilt the carbs as well.

1. Does an OEM 760 engine like this 760 run a single feed fuel line that is split to each carb?
                            2. Or are they set up from the Yamaha factory with a single dedicated fuel line to each carb?
                            3. Given my engine set-up what are most of you doing regarding fuel lines? Single feed, split? Or separate lines? And why?

Thanks for your input!

Nate
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by JSNate; 04-25-2018, 07:56 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• swlamarshrunner
                              PWCToday Regular
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by JSNate View Post
                              3. Given my engine set-up what are most of you doing regarding fuel lines? Single feed, split? Or separate lines? And why?

Thanks for your input!

Nate
                              I make my own dedicated feeds..... I put same length fuel line onto the stock metal pickups and have fuel clunks at the bottom of the line. Acts as a filter and also has a spring/ball valve that keeps the lines loaded with fuel. I do it because it's cheap and effective. This pic is from a triple HX pickup I did, but essentially the same thing.

10 by Ricky Hinch, on Flickr
                              www.youtube.com/c/RickyHinch

Comment

Working...
                              X