Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Protect your eardrums

I have read several accounts of people on this board breaking their eardrums while freestyling and want to stress that it is a serious injury that can affect you for the rest of your life. I had a post-op with my surgeon today and learned that even after three surgeries the eardrum that I popped while riding remains broken and will probably never heal. Because of this my hearing is crap and I get ear infections every time my head gets wet. I can also feel air rushing in and out of my eardrum every time I take a deep breath which as you can probably imagine is annoying as hell. Thankfully I have good insurance because I could have bought a car for the amount of money that has been put into trying to fix my bionic ear.

I am now required to wear an expensive custom made earplug every time I ride or swim and buy antiseptic eardrops by the gallon. Given that I am only 24 and have many years of riding ahead of me this is more than a slight inconvenience.

Long story short, protect your eardrums. They are fragile and it sucks not being able to hear. I now have big scars running up the sides of my head from where they took graft material and contrary to popular belief, chicks do not dig them. All it takes is one bad landing to mess you up permanently, so please, play it safe. Your ears will thank you.

been there, twice on the right, once on the left, now I don't hear that good anymore and it hurts like a Motherf'r when I fly....

Frequent Poster
    Sorry to hear that man. I hear your advice; that is why I bought a lightweight helmet to wear when riding. Just know that in the future they will probably have some way of fixing your eardrum no problem. Look at Lasik eye surgery. They will probably have something like that for ears&hearing.

What other ways can someone protect their eardrums besides wearing a helmet. Would something as simple as earplugs work to protect your eardrums?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home momarski's Avatar
    I am sorry for both you guys, it is great to have my health
    the Tesla S is the only real solution to all the worlds major problems

"You have enemies$ ? GOOD, mean$ you $tood up for $omething in your life."

Sorry to hear about the ear, but this brings up another good point. Portect that thing between your ears! Ride safe!!
    Get out there and ride. No one ever looked back and said \"I should have spent more time in the office\".
    LBCrew
    www.sidestageprinting.com custom shirts, stickers, banners and more all fo cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric78
    Would something as simple as earplugs work to protect your eardrums?
    After I blew my first eardrum my riding buddy tried earplugs, the cheapo kind you use when your wife snores too much.

Then he got the same problem I did, he fell from about 20 ft in the water, right on his ear, it pushed the earplug so deep he had to go have it removed at the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by momarski
    I am sorry for both you guys, it is great to have my health
    Yeah, way to go baldie, at least I have more hair on my head than on my chest...

PWCToday Newbie
    I think that any type of earplug will prevent your eardrum from popping. The reason I have to wear custom fitted plugs is because if any water gets into my middle/inner ear then it gets infected. People with normal eardrums don't need something totally watertight, just something that will block the concussion from the water. I used those cheap wax ones that you can get from the supermarket for a while and they worked pretty well but leaked a little bit. You can break them so they are small and you don't even realize that they are in there.

I may have to experiment with some wresting headgear or something to keep my plug in, they are too expensive for me to keep losing.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home momarski's Avatar
    so do bums
    the Tesla S is the only real solution to all the worlds major problems

"You have enemies$ ? GOOD, mean$ you $tood up for $omething in your life."

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SuperJETT's Avatar
    After my first minor perforation last summer, I will wear my helmet the rest of my life. My younger brother is totally deaf, so I have a great appreciation for having my hearing and want to protect it.

Good advice man.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information