Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

First time pismo next week?

I'm considering taking a day off mid week to try pismo for the first time. The surf report shows small waves, moderate wind, warm temps. I have a 94 550sx only mod is a bildge. runs like it should. Any advise ?

PWCToday Newbie

Re: First time pismo next week?

Just sold my only registered ski, so dont have any to ride. im local to pismo area and always looking for new people to ride with. when the lakes are full we prefier the warmer water though.

Quote Originally Posted by jamo04AT View Post
    I'm considering taking a day off mid week to try pismo for the first time. The surf report shows small waves, moderate wind, warm temps. I have a 94 550sx only mod is a bildge. runs like it should. Any advise ?
    I usually enter at the Grand Ave entrance, and turn left. Then go about half to a mile in. The surf doesn't break as hard or curl as quick at that area. That allows more recovery time and more wave selections.
    Also know that you are not suppose to go fast until after the third tide.
    If you get past the breaking surf, you can play and jump the swells before they break. Much easier to read. More like hill climbing on your ski.
    Have a blast!!
    RACING IS A GOOD EXCUSE FOR MORE TIME ON THE WATER.

PWCToday Regular

Thank you guys for the reply! I actually went down Monday night and this morning headed to the beach. wish i read your response earlier because I took grand ave, turned left, but went about 300ft and parked lol. the waves seemed a bit steeper then the rest of beach too i figured it was a mirage haha. I surf so not new to the ocean but definatly new to stand up ski and especially in the surf. I brought my surf board and surfed for about 45 min to get use to the area ( never surfed here before just dirtbikes n stuff). Anyways I had a blast. Definatly stoked for the next time I can get out there!! I didn't know about the speed limit, although common sense told me not to speed close to shore...thanks again all, hope to be out there soon!
    Last edited by jamo04AT; 05-14-2014 at 12:47 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

I know this is an old post, but maybe some will still respond.
    I'm new to this sport, have a stock 1990 550SX, and am looking to try it in the surf. It looks like Pismo is the place to go? I'm a bit north of San Francisco.
    Has anyone put a ski in at Jenner and ridden to the surf from there?
    thanks!

Top Dog
    Blog Entries

People ride 550's in the surf all the time. Should make plans to come to the Freeride next month:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/472316656282290/
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday Regular

Yes sir your 550 will do fine! Ive moved on to other skis since then though but it did fine. Me and previous poster quinc will be at the free ride in October. Hit either of us up we will help you launch and ride w You, makes thkngs alot less stressful when you bave company! my first tome i was Alone and it was a Pain to launch waves crashin etc alot different then lake or river! You should go, everyone very friendly and cool.

Top Dog
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamo04AT View Post
    Yes sir your 550 will do fine! Ive moved on to other skis since then though but it did fine. Me and previous poster quinc will be at the free ride in October. Hit either of us up we will help you launch and ride w You, makes thkngs alot less stressful when you bave company! my first tome i was Alone and it was a Pain to launch waves crashin etc alot different then lake or river! You should go, everyone very friendly and cool.
    What he said^^ Everyone keeps a good eye on each other. Make sure and carry a tow rope with you as well.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks guys. That sounds great.
    Anything else I need? My ski is pure stock.
    Do I need a dolly to get my ski to the water?

Top Dog
    Blog Entries

Video from last years:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epZrNVGzea0

-Electric Bilge pump
    -helmet
    -tow rope
    My first time I spent more time in the water then on the ski. And the ocean hurts when it slams you into the ground.

A dolly will deff help! People are pretty cool and will normally let you borrow one.

If you plan on camping I think you need to buy a permit?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information