User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Hunting Island State Park - Beaufort, SC

Anyone know if Hunting Island is PWC friendly? OK to take skis to that beach?
    Jim Longwith - Owner
    Longwith's Trim & Accessories
    Rock Hill, SC
    jim.longwith@oceanagold.com

Re: Hunting Island State Park - Beaufort, SC

wow, 4 months and 0 answers. Guess we'll find out this weekend. We have about a dozen or so PWC's coming to Beaufort this weekend. Friday ride to Hunting Island, Edisto, maybe Bohicket, and back. Saturday, ride to Hilton Head Island, Salty Dog Saloon and Harbour Town then back. Meet time at Downtown City Marina is 9:00-9:15 each day if anyone wants to join in with us.
    Jim Longwith - Owner
    Rock Hill, SC

PWCToday Newbie

Hello SuperJim. Sorry I cannot answer this but I find the same thing. Not many answers to questions. We just rode a 200 mile round trip overnight last weekend to Atlantic City. My next idea is Charleston to Hilton Head with an overnight. How did your trip go? Any tips you can offer?

Thanks
    Jack

i guess i am not sure what PWC friendly means. I ride all waters. Be it salt or fresh. All islands are targets. If I had to select water that is unfriendly I guess I would pick a area that is teaming with alligators. Thick as thieves, as they say. The other possible unfriendlyness I see when riding would be very fast water with large swells and lots of chop. An another would be very shallow with lots of stumps just under the surface. Sharp oysters tend to make some areas undesirable. If you are not riding solo, that makes a big difference, from a safety perspective.

Owner. Rider. Maintenance. 15yrs.
    2002 Yamaha. FX140. 1000cc. Cruiser. Collectors model.
    2017 Lowes Stryker 16. Mercury 50hp 4-stroke.
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CHDiKr9UqpdsAV

by unfriendly, I meant some places don't like PWC's. Hilton Head Island for example will not allow them in some areas or marinas.

Charleston to Hilton Head will be a great trip. Potential good stops along the way are:

Bohicket marina at Seabrook Island. Edisto Island has a marina and restaurant. Beaufort for sure. Good place to spend the night with good food and night life. At Hilton Head, Harbour Town and the Salty Dog are good stops. You can only get to the salty dog by water at high tide so plan accordingly.

Our trip went well. We had 15 PWC's and 23 people. Friday we went from Beaufort to Fripp island and Hunting Island then off shore to Edisto for lunch. The water was extremely rough. 15 miles took an hour of pounding. I was looking forward to the smooth return route on the ICW but it was every bit as rough. I mean 4' + swells. At least we were going with them on the way back. One ski had a plastic bilge fitting brake from the pounding and took on water to the point it was about to sink and had to be beached then towed back, engine blown. The next day about half the crew was so beat up they stayed on the beach. But day 2 was perfectly calm. We rode to Hilton Head and had a great lunch as the Salty Dog.
    Last edited by super jim; 07-23-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Jim Longwith - Owner
    Rock Hill, SC

PWCToday Newbie

I ride stand ups and what I was wondering is can you pull up on the beach area and park your ski? at Tybee (Savannah) that is prohibited by law, you can get a stiff fine if riding too close to the beach/swimming area at Tybee. I would Love to find a place where you can launch right the beach into the surf somewhere close to the Savannah GA area!

PWCToday Newbie

Super Jim thanks for the info. Probably won't make this ride until next year. I'll have to investigate adding Beaufort and another night possibly. I think most people on a pwc forum understood the question. What better place to ask and share that info?

when you get ready to put the plan together, PM me If you want company for part or all of the trip.
    Jim Longwith - Owner
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by tintr1 View Post
    I ride stand ups and what I was wondering is can you pull up on the beach area and park your ski? at Tybee (Savannah) that is prohibited by law, you can get a stiff fine if riding too close to the beach/swimming area at Tybee. I would Love to find a place where you can launch right the beach into the surf somewhere close to the Savannah GA area!
    tintr1 , pm me .. there are two spots on tybee to unload your ski...

Quote Originally Posted by super jim View Post
    when you get ready to put the plan together, PM me If you want company for part or all of the trip.
    I may meet yall from savannah, I hear Daufuskie is a must

98 zxi 1100 (sold)
    01 zxi 1100 ( needs rebuilt)
    00 ultra 150 ( F/S)
    04 ultra 150 (needs repair)
    (dreaming about the perfect X2 build)
    http://www.gardencityautocenter.com
    https://www.facebook.com/gardencity.autocenter?fref=ts
    to: thread trolls, run you di@& suckers somewhere else, or be a real man and say it in person, Ill even buy you a beer if you show up..Bayou Cafe on the river
    to: Wrenches n Techies , thank you for your continued input and luv or the hobbie

Thread Information