» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: Wanting to buy more power to my 94 550sx

Quote Originally Posted by P.W.R View Post
    too bad you have a reed motor.
    It's a pretty good thing that he has a reed engine. A PP wouldn't be running 175 PSI that reliably.

You might want to look into a few things that keep your reliability but still improve performance. Some enhancements such as a lightweight handle pole or a 4 pound lithium battery will get you some weight savings and help you achieve those freestyle tricks.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trn448s View Post
    Wanting to buy more power to my 94 550sx......
    How fast do you want to spend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

I do ahve adapters to run a SBN 44 on your OE stock Kehin intake. You will need to port match / bore the intake to match the new, lager sized carb. I can do this here, if you are unable.

I would also advance the timing, and put in a light weight flywheel. I have NEW flywheels here.

Next, would be a 650/750/800 conversion. We also sell a conversion plate. You will need a new impeller, and really to get the most from your new found power should run a larger pump.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Dencaddie View Post
    He needs a reed manifold not a piston port. The reed manifold seems to be a holy grail.
    My error!

I have seen a few of those over the years. Good luck, I'll shut up now.
    Third Coast Freeride - Midwest Wave Warriors

Wooka Wooka Wookay. Let's Fing Rage!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

i would probably build up the reed engine before going to a 650.. lots more work and money too.. gotta replace everything electrical, exhaust impeller to put a 650 in..and 650 isnt much of an increase in power 11-15hp.. well worth it over a piston port engine but not the reed... talk to mcn6 or newmiller on here and let him set you up something with your reed engine... you wont loose any reliability with the reed engine and still make the power you want with it.. you already have a good pipe so center the engine around that... newmiller knows kawi 550 engines pretty well too... im having him build me one as we speak..

not to mention if you want real power with the 750, the factory pipe with the limited chamber is the best way to go and good luck fitting that pipe in your 550 without major major reconstruction..

many will argue and tell you to go with the conversion ski because its easier and more reliable.. its all opinion really on how its built and setup.. im having him set my engine up for 100 octane because i have a place close to me that i can get 100ll pretty cheap.. it has a small amount of lead in it which is actually really good for 2 strokes because the lead is a lubricant.. and the fuel will store for longer periods of time because it is ethanol free.. the compression bump to 100 octane is a huge torque increase without any reliability sacrifice..
    Last edited by fastgtfairlane; 02-14-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    96 superjet- rockered, -4, wide tray, adjustable footholds, kv148 mag setback pump, skat 7/14 impeller, rrp adjustable pole, blowsion ovp steering, 62t/62t, ada head, zeel A02T cdi, dual 44s, boysen power reeds, TNT SS chamber

93-x2, newmiller ported SP750, milled head, R&D single 46 intake, sbn46, fpp blaster chamber pipe, hooker 9/15, umi, rhaas squirrel cage, dakine foot straps

you can get the mikuni adaptor for the reed manifold at this link:

[URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/221211817742?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649"]

but according to group K its better to use a larger keihin that bolts directly on the manifold.. but they say you need to boar the manifold out slightly.

This set up works well acording to them. I am considering doing this to my reed motor 550..

I have west coast manifold with a twin 38mm sbn setup for my 550 reed motor but its been quite tricky to get it running sweet compared to a single carb set up. I have only just put them on so i cant tell you what the performance is from them.
    I hope to be able to give some feedback on Sunday after i am done at the river.
    First Love 1995 Mint Condition Super Jet

First Affrair 1980 Js 440 More trouble than its worth
    Stock

B**** on the side 1990 JS550 SX.. Most fun to Play with!
    PJS Pipe, Skat Trak Impeller, Ride plate, scoope intake grate, K&N flame Ar, Duel cooling..

i also run dual sbn 38s on my reed engine and i like ti much better than the keihin carb... i found the carbs on ebay for like 76 a piece shipped
    96 superjet- rockered, -4, wide tray, adjustable footholds, kv148 mag setback pump, skat 7/14 impeller, rrp adjustable pole, blowsion ovp steering, 62t/62t, ada head, zeel A02T cdi, dual 44s, boysen power reeds, TNT SS chamber

93-x2, newmiller ported SP750, milled head, R&D single 46 intake, sbn46, fpp blaster chamber pipe, hooker 9/15, umi, rhaas squirrel cage, dakine foot straps

ebay has cool stuff for the 440s and 550s! and its the only place i can get anything as i live in South Africa
    and there are not many places to get parts around here!
    First Love 1995 Mint Condition Super Jet

First Affrair 1980 Js 440 More trouble than its worth
    Stock

B**** on the side 1990 JS550 SX.. Most fun to Play with!
    PJS Pipe, Skat Trak Impeller, Ride plate, scoope intake grate, K&N flame Ar, Duel cooling..

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home MrSki's Avatar

Since you already have the 1/2 pipe and prop, without porting, there are only a few more bolt on's you can do.

Bore the exit nozzle.
    Advance the timing.
    Add an aluminum charging flywheel. Or go total loss but that's a lot more work. Either of these would be a huge gain for you.
    Gut the water box or go aftermarket.
    Aftermarket flame arrestor...I hope you don't still have the stock one.
    Disconnect the rev limiter - pull the green wire from the controller to the spark coil in the e-box.

As far as the carb goes, for the current set up, the stock one works just fine. You could up it to the 44 SBN with that adapter John has or just get e 40 mm Keihin. But your not really going to see much gain at all. Right now, the flow restriction is the cylinder and the stock porting.

I had bought a 44mm Westcoast intake back in the early 90's and used it for years. Then switched to dual 38's and the 44 mani sat for years. I traded it eventually and now kick myself since they are "nowhere" to be found these days.

What pitch prop are you running? Should stay at 15.5 or less for the low end you're looking for.

Let me throw this out there too relative to basic maintenance. These things do wear out and going through a motor will always pep it up. New rings and cylinder hone, new crank seals, new head and bas gasket. You may have small leaks on the head and base. As far as the "maintenance" stuff, you won't know the gains until you do the work. However if a leak gets really bad and you seize a piston, then you'll kick yourself for not going through the motor now, proactively.

While I'm typing...if your still using the OEM plastic tank pick up tubes, you may want to get stainless ones. If these plastic ones leak, it could seize a piston. Took me 2 seizures to learn this lesson.

Glad to see you're still at 175 PSI which is about the OEM spec for these motors. It makes me a little less worried about the basic maintenance needs I mentioned above but then again...
    1993 Laser Jet F15 - Mild port to PJS Cylinder.
    1992 Laser Jet F14 - Raced in 1992 World Finals.
    1992 550 SX - PJS Secret Weapon Big Bore, Kind of fast, LOL.
    1989 JS 550 - PJS motor Dual 46's, 50 MPH on GPS.
    1989 Wet Jet - Upgraded 1994 50 HP motor & exhaust. 45 MPH, yee ha!
    1986 JS 550 - Engine built. Working on fiberglass!
    1976 JS 400 - Pretty much just a shell. Sure want to restore this some day!

get the head rechambered, cylinder ported for 93 octane, you could lighten the stock flywheel over a half pound which will also help out and still allow you to use the stock electronics, have the outlet nozzle bored out, get a flow control valve and have lots of power and still have a very reliable boat at the same time.. all of that will not even cost what you will spend swapping in a 650 and you will have as much if not more power..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information