• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 83Gator
    Frequent Poster
    • Mar 2010

NPS Consider Ban of PWCs

As many of you know, there is ongoing debate and discussion regarding a possible permanent ban of PWCs within the Gulf Islands Nat'l Seashore (GUIS). This is a large park covering several states. I will try to keep this as short as possible so here goes:

HISTORY: Yes, studies were done years ago that were favorable and saw re-introduction of PWCs into the NPS system. A few years back, however, a "radical" environmental group claimed the studies done by the NPS were not extensive enough. They filed suit and won their case which basically caused the NPS to again take up the matter: Are PWCs dangerous to the park(s) and to what extent. Summing up, the plaintiff in the original suit wanted nothing less than a complete ban of PWCs.

CURRENTLY: Yesterday was the 2nd of 2 public "open house" meetings regarding PWCs in the GUIS. Monday's meeting was in Gulf Breeze, FL (which I did not attend). Inquiring about that meeting by others that were present, I was told about 25-30 "boaters" showed up. While they were not specifically pro-PWC, they were against the ban, reasoning that they "might be next".

At last night's meeting there was myself, one other enthusiasts, and a PWC dealership owner. That was it for the public. The remainder were park officials, a rep. from an industry association, and a rep of a NPS contractor doing site specific studies. After two hours of discussion my impression from the park officials is they do not have any real "PWC" issues and the same was pretty much concurred by the rep. from the company doing the study. Also, there was quite a bit of talk of how the original lawsuit addressed a number of issues regarding emission and noise pollution. But most of these concerns are moot points w/the advent of the 4-stroke and other technologies.

GOING FORWARD: Without going into a bunch of detail, I left that meeting w/the impression there will be no ban issued forth (I could certainly be wrong). Again, many of the original concerns have been addressed w/the newer skis. Other than a ban, which I do not see happening, there may be possible "tweaks" to the current rules, but certainly rules that we could all get along by.

Is this matter resolved? NO! Is your input important? YES! Follow the link -http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentF...cumentID=51620 - and let the NPS know how you feel. Your opinions matter and will be regarded before any final ruling is made. Public comment at the above link will be open until 12.15.13

FINALLY: If you have any questions, I will try to answer them, but a lot will likely be my opinion based on my experience at tonight's meeting. Please stay on topic...

PS: Did I ask you to follow the link and comment? Please do!
    Last edited by 83Gator; 11-20-2013, 05:39 PM.
    sigpicLooking for a new place to ride that PWC of yours? Follow me to PWCTrailFinder.com We're adding new
    trails every week with miles of water worth exploring -check us out today!

• rdrttoy
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jun 2010

Re: NPS Consider Ban of PWCs

I'll comment. The NPS banned all two stroke skis at our local lake and it's terrible. I can't imagine banning all skis, that's even worse.
    All of the PWC parts and service you'll ever need can be found at High Speed Industries

Comment

• 83Gator
      Frequent Poster
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by rdrttoy View Post
      I'll comment. The NPS banned all two stroke skis at our local lake and it's terrible. I can't imagine banning all skis, that's even worse.
      Thank you. I can tell you the "2-stroke" era is pretty much over within the NPS system, but these are the sacrifices we'll have to make to keep any kind of access. A total ban is unthinkable... Again, thanks for your support.
      sigpicLooking for a new place to ride that PWC of yours? Follow me to PWCTrailFinder.com We're adding new
      trails every week with miles of water worth exploring -check us out today!

Comment

• Sea-Donkey
        PWCToday Guru
        • May 2006

My comment has been submitted. Thanks Gator for spreading the word and attending the meeting.
        2009 Honda Aquatrax F15
        1989 Wetbike

Past PWC:

3 x Wetbikes (1987, 1988, 1989), 1990 Jetstar, 2 x 2007 Honda Aquatrax F12 (1 red, 1 blue), 1992 Yamaha Superjet 650sx, 1997 Sea-Doo XP, 1997 Sea-Doo GTX, 2004 Sea-Doo 3D

Comment

Working...
        X