User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Guru

Trickle charging multiple batteries?

I have 3 jetskis and 2 motorcycles. Is it possible to trickle charge them all using one charger over the winter connecting them in parallel? Is there any method which can be used to keep them all on the charger?

What do you guys do?
    Last edited by Professorman; 10-15-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    2004 Honda Aquatrax R12 - LOVING fuel injection 4 stroke, no more carbs!!
    2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000

96 SeaDoo XP - Sadly missed after my family outgrew its size (2007 -- sold 2013)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Re: Trickle charging multiple batteries?

I trickle charge each battery (8 of them) for 8 hours once a month. I have a cycle that I follow to keep them all topped up.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Thanks to these companies for their great products and services.

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by BLRider View Post
    I trickle charge each battery (8 of them) for 8 hours once a month. I have a cycle that I follow to keep them all topped up.
    This is the safe way ^

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home delagem's Avatar

If you try to charge them all in parallel, you'll run the risk that one bad battery will force the charger to overcharge all the other batteries, trying to bring that one battery up. Happens a lot with electric golf carts, for example, and can ruin $800 in batteries.

I do as BLRider outlined, except I charge each battery in my skis or bikes once every 2 months. I leave the battery disconnected from the machine when I store them; they seem to survive the winter with a much higher state of charge this way.
    '58 Vincent Amanda Water Scooter, 0rpm, 0mph

'84 SurfJet 236ss Freestyle, 5950rpm, 24.6 mph

'91 Jetmate! SX-R 800,GroupK carbs,R&D 26cc head,R&D ProLok F/A, Coffman Rocket Pipe,Impros 13-20,76mm nozzle: 6630rpm and 38.1mph GPS

'92 SL650/750, dry pipe,extended pump,trim,HotSeat Waterbox: 6320rpm, 50.1 mph

'00 SLX,Tau Ceti F/A's,NuJet prop: 6670rpm, 63.1 mph

'03 Octane, Watcon 2318 CDI

'04 MSX140,Impros stage 2 Powertune 14/23,WetWolf,6deg wedge: 6750rpm, 60.5 mph

PWCToday Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BLRider View Post
    Ha, I guess I will just line them up in a 'production line' and cycle moving the charger from one to the other throughout the winter. I might need to label each battery so that I remember where to put them back.
    Last edited by Professorman; 10-15-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    2004 Honda Aquatrax R12 - LOVING fuel injection 4 stroke, no more carbs!!
    2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000

96 SeaDoo XP - Sadly missed after my family outgrew its size (2007 -- sold 2013)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professorman View Post
    Ha, I guess I will just line them up in a 'production line' and cycle moving the charger from one to the other throughout the winter. I might need to label each battery so that I remember where to put them back.
    All lined up - that's the way I do it. First day of the month the process starts each month.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Thanks to these companies for their great products and services.

Northeast Ohio ~ Riding Rollers On Lake Erie

I use one charger as well and just rotate the batteries through a cycle. There are chargers you can purchase that accommodate 3-4 batteries at a time, but you'll be shelling out coin for something that does the same thing you already have, just a little extra work and attention on your part.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>2003 FX-140
    >1994 WB1
    >1994 SJ

Live Great Lakes Web Cams

Thread Information