Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Newbie with question on vibration

I own a 2007 F12x with 58 hours on it. This is my first ski I have owned, but I've ridden quite a few. The problem I noticed today was very obvious. I was cruising along with my daughter about 35 mph, when all of a sudden a heavy vibration on the rear was heard and felt. I've read several posts about vibration and I'm leaning towards the driveshaft bearing, but that's just a guess on my part. As soon as I felt the vibration I slowed to idle speed and listened for the noise. It seems that low rpm (like below 35 mph) it's quiet with no vibration noticed, but if I try to take it up, the vibration is almost unbearable. I eased it back to the dock and brought it home for inspection. I didn't see any obvious damage anywhere, so I'm going to take it to my local dealer.

Also, I don't know if this is common or normal, but I noticed a noise when I first start it up in the water. It's similar to the noise when it runs out of the water connected to the hose.

I'm trying to learn more about this ski, so if anyone that has had similar problems and resolved them could chime in I'd like to learn more.

One last thing I forgot to mention, on my maiden voyage with this ski, I forgot to screw in the drain plugs and darn near sank it. I made it back to the dock but I did get a good amount of salt water inside. I drained it out and washed it out with fresh water afterwards. I also put CRC corrosion inhibitor all over afterwards. Is it possible this caused my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Newbie with question on vibration

Sounds like a Drive shaft Bearing Housing. I have them instock $155 it also could the pump bearings or something wrap around the drive shaft. Give us a call and we will be happy to help you out. 813 786 4418 Jetskisint.com

Ya, I'd check that impeller also. I had a very small piece of plastic solo cup in my impeller and couldn't run over 25 mph. I've also had little sticks do the same thing.
    07 Honda F12X Saphire Blue
    MacBoost, Large intercooler, solas intake grate and impeller.

03 Honda F12X Red

Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

05 SeaDoo GTX 4-tec Supercharged

Used to have:
    98 GP760, 97 GTX Sea Doo, 97 GP1200, 02 Honda F12X, 2-03 Honda F12X,

Need to have:
    F15X

Mine had a vibration just before my worx intake grate fell off the other day.

The response to your first question is, you have committed to paying for a mechanical diagnosis from your dealer. He will respond with a "cause of the vibration", a price to fix it, and a bill for his diagnosis.

The first thing that comes to mind on the noise is that it takes a few moments for the oil to find its way through the engine and the moment it is started it is operating dry. I suppose there could be many other causes.
    Last edited by Lee Taylor; 09-08-2013 at 09:17 AM.

You'd be surprised at how much cavitation a small object can create. Mine vibrated so bad and was so loud, it sounded like the motor was going to jump out of the ski. We ride a river that varies 10 ft and sometimes there's a lot of debris floating. We've seen it caused by sticks, plastic bags, cups, vegetation and my last one was a piece of a shoe. I carry a very long needle nose in my ski now. It won't cost you anything to climb under the ski and at least look just to eliminate this as a cause before you start throwing money at it. Sometimes you need someone to bump the starter to check all the way around the impeller. Your not going to see anything from the back of it.
    07 Honda F12X Saphire Blue
    MacBoost, Large intercooler, solas intake grate and impeller.

03 Honda F12X Red

Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

05 SeaDoo GTX 4-tec Supercharged

Used to have:
    98 GP760, 97 GTX Sea Doo, 97 GP1200, 02 Honda F12X, 2-03 Honda F12X,

Need to have:
    F15X

I've got the same problem on my 2002 right now. It occurred 45 miles into a 90 mile trip but I was still able to return home. I suspect it to be either the impeller is rubbing (this has happened to me before), the jet pump bearings are shot or the main carrier bearing needs to be replaced. I have the same symptoms as you do and one of these components is the culprit.

Your first step should be to pull the jet pump and see if the impeller is rubbing. This will also allow you to see if the bearings drag within the jet pump. The main carrier bearing (through the hull bearing) is my next guess and that can be changed with the jet pump out.
    The List

2005 Aquatrax F-12X (Macsboost Module, Torxracing IC, Custom Air Intake)
    2002 Aquatrax F-12X (Macsboost Module, Torxracing IC, 17/29 Solas, Plenum spacer, Custom Air Intake, Velocity Stack Insert)

I've had that happen a couple times and it was debris and small rocks caught in the impeller shaft/housing,sometimes a couple of blips of the throttle while still in the water will clear it, the vibration it causes is teeth rattling! I have a hunch with only 58 hours on the ski you simply have something stuck in there, crawl under the ski (on the trailer) and take a good look into the intake grate! if completely clear look at the impeller housing and see if there is evidence of excessive wear, If I'm wrong Call Brian ! he knows these Honda's inside and out!

PWCToday Newbie

Thank you all for the responses. I REALLY appreciate your help. I'm going to take it to my local dealer tomorrow for a check-up. I will respond back with whatever their response is.

If it's the Driveshaft Bearing Housing, is this a common failure item? To me it seems odd to fail with such low hours on it.

Thanks again,
    Mike

My 05 has 170 hours of having The pizz ran out of it and it has the original bearings and housing, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information