Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: Replace Starter - Yamaha WaveRunner VX 110 sport

I'm new to the forum - between this and the other thread - very helpful thank you.

Attaching some images I hope can help someone else. It is hard to see up under the exhaust manifold.
    A google image search for pictures of the VX1100 block also was useful.
    IMG_1754.JPGIMG_1740.JPGIMG_1737.JPGIMG_1736.JPG
    As can be seen in my pictures the starter looks pretty new. I have an intermittent issue. Normally no problem then I may have to push the button 2-4 times to get it to start.
    I'm hoping I have a solenoid problem - have ordered a replacement.
    Cables seem good. Hopefully I don't have to pull the starter out to inspect.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gomer900 View Post
    Update: confirmed that the clicks are coming from the relay. I reinstalled the original relay, getting a solid click from the relay every time I push the start button, but no starter turn. I tried several times to arc across the relay terminals and getting big sparks with no starter turn.
    First of all you have to start your test with a fully charged battery, clean tight terminals.If you jump across the 2 terminals on starter relay you may make a spark but the starter should spin, if it does not spin and no spark the starter is bad, if monster spark like weld and no spin, starter is bad shorted to ground.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RickM46 View Post
    So, Frenchy, on the FX, would removing the exhaust be a first step to getting at the starter?
    here in saltwater use the exhaust never come apart, never ever, then you scratch your hands and you can get starter out but if you are unlucky like me the front part of the starter is frozen up in flywheel casing and starter wont come off then the engine has to come off.
    99% of the time the starter fail because of corrosion, i rarely seen a starter with worn out brushes like you see on cars

PWCToday Newbie

Great info here! My starter croaked on my 05 Vx110. I just spent about 1.5 hours sweating in my garage getting the thing out. I have to say its not a job I would want to do again especially at 66 years of age. The toughest part was getting the top bolt off. Its hard to see & my mirror kept sliding down. Once I caught the bolt it was real hard backing it out for some reason, the others came off easy. I gave the motor a small tap & it popped right off the engine. I tried to bench test it but nothing, its rusted of course & is most likely the original. I only put 25 hours on the ski since I bought it with 78 hours from someone 2.5 years ago. Outside of some other small issues that I had fixed, it has been a great ski. Now I need to get another starter & pop that sucka in. Oh yeah I got my arm stuck under the motor twice ( hurts) trying to retrieve dropped tools, damn it is tight.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information