Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

Re: Replace Starter - Yamaha WaveRunner VX 110 sport

not easy to get new starter in, you need gynecologist hands....usually the new o ring on starter nose makes it hard to slide in, put grease on it, engage the starter in front casing and then use a small Philips screw driver on rear bolt holes to pray and slide starter in, works every times for me, I have done dozens like that, 20/30 mn job

PWCToday Newbie

you should make a trip to orlando and fix my ski =)

if you pay for it yes I would travel to Orlando but it wont be cheap or you bring the ski to me, I always have a new starter for these in stock and I will only be 30mn labor , up to you .LOL
    Last edited by cyrillefrenchy; 05-10-2016 at 09:52 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Great thread, helped me replace mine relatively quickly(removal 15 min, install 2 hrs). Couldn't push it in enough to use the screwdriver pry method, so finally decided to try using a ratchet tow strap. One end on the front engine mount, then around the back of the starter from the bottom up, then back to front under some pipe, then over the gas tank, and thru and out the front hood, then hooked to the trailer it was on. Then has someone ratchet it up while I made sure it didn't slip off the back of the starter... Couldn't get it all the way in but enough for me then to use the screwdriver pry method. Hope that helps someone.

I am doing the starter replacement on a 2005 FX Cruiser (FX1100A). There is just not much room to see, feel, or touch the starter on that bad boy. This looks like it going to be a bit more involved than the VX. I have the Yamaha service manual but it provides practically zero guidance on this procedure. If anyone can offer some pearls of wisdom on the steps, I will owe you a huge favor!

replacing a starter on fx is not easy at all due to monster exhaust manifold covering starter. are you sure 100% the starter is bad? i replaced many starter relays but muh less starters .most of the time the starter is stuck in front casing and there is no room to fit hands, no place to pry it out and in. good luck on that job

So, Frenchy, on the FX, would removing the exhaust be a first step to getting at the starter?

Thanks for chiming in, Frenchy! You inspired me to check the basics again. I tested the battery at 12.89 volts and reconnected it. I tapped the start button once and got the starter to turn, but it was too early to declare victory.

Tapped it again, and heard several rapid clicks that sounded like arcing, seemed to come from low in the hull towards the stern but I could not pinpoint it. I let it rest, tapped the start button a few more times and it would only get one click each time, no starter turning. BTW I have just replaced the starter relay(aftermarket), so I don't think that is it. I tried arcing across the relay terminals with a big screwdriver and it threw some pretty big sparks that spooked me and the starter did not turn. I have the electrical box opened up and on top of the ski for easy access till I get this solved. The clicks do not "seem" to be coming from relay.

Does that ring any bells? Thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by gomer900; 12-17-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Update: confirmed that the clicks are coming from the relay. I reinstalled the original relay, getting a solid click from the relay every time I push the start button, but no starter turn. I tried several times to arc across the relay terminals and getting big sparks with no starter turn.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home David3aces's Avatar

1111161007.jpg "Damn starter just quit on me" ! LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information