» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mid shaft leak

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

mid shaft leak

Hello friends
    Today's project is to help a good customer at the rental who decided to buy his own vx 110, he found a clean 2006 with only 95 hours on it, but ski has been sitting on a floating dock. He bought the ski without asking me advise, i would tell him to be carefull, these ara all leaking by the mid shaft plate and guess what ?this one does too and a lot, a constant stream of water is comming in, after the first ride he came back with 4 inches of water in the bilge so he sent me an SOS.
    so i took the engine out, all electric connections up front disconnected,air intake boot off, electric box on front right off, fuel line off, exhaust conical connection between manifold and muffler off, water intake line off, 4 motor mount bolts off and engine is ready to be pulled off complete.
    IMG_0423.JPGIMG_0421.JPGIMG_0420.JPGIMG_0419.JPG
    Last edited by cyrillefrenchy; 07-24-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Re: mid shaft leak

IMG_0427.JPGIMG_0428.JPGIMG_0429.JPGIMG_0430.JPGnext is to remove the leaky plate an mid shaft , the 4 bolts connecting the cover to the plate are always frozzen, a grinder is a good helper, just cut between bottom and top plate and replace everything, not very expansive.
    next is to use a heat gun to remove old glue, it comes right off when hot.
    Last edited by cyrillefrenchy; 07-24-2013 at 10:47 PM.

now cleaning time , light grinding with rough sandpaper on sealing surface, nice coat of 3m 5200 and new plate installed, all 3 screws back and a nice piece of wood wedged as shown on picture do hold verything in place overnight.
    Last edited by cyrillefrenchy; 07-24-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Frenchy, so far everything you are showing and describing is great. But I think you missed something, I see that you took the engine out disconnected all the wiring and cables. The one thing that has me wondering is what did you have to take off in the back to get the shaft out? And while you have it out, what are you looking at that is common for wear such as bearings, wear ring, impeller, ect. the reason why I am asking is that I have to do the same job on my vx110 deluxe. I know when I take out a transmission to rebuild it there are many things that I look at that is common to be replaced at time of removal. I myself have not done much waverunner work but I have done many engines and transmissions in my time. Mainly because my brother owns a automotive and transmission repair shop. Plus I work on big rigs being a truck driver owner operator. I also see some glue in front of the plate you just glued in and was wondering how come you did not remove it? Or does it not matter because of what covers it? I am sorry for questioning you about this but I would like to know these things before I attempt to do this myself. I understand that when we do things everyday they become second nature to us and a lot of steps we do not describe because of that nature. Trust me I am very impressed with your knowledge on these watercrafts. I am learning more an more from you and also finding out these motors are very similar to 4 cyl Honda motors. Your friend George on the east coast of Florida.

the midshaft slides right out of the prop, no need to take anything out on the back George, just splines.
    don't forget to grease these splines before you put it back in.
    #19 slides into #24 , the #23 is a rubber boot
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html
    the ski has low hours and by spinning the midshaft still in place I can feel that there is no bearing issue and no swollen wear ring, no grinding noise and I heared the ski running before taking it apart.
    what usually gives up is the midhasft bearing so if it is crunchy or very corroded replace it off course.
    the small plate on the front is to hold the 2 intake grate bolts, this plate is not glued with the same glue, just silicone with bolts all the way thru unlike the leaky plate and usually does not leak and does not corrode.
    I resealed a few on my first skis, don't do it anymore, did not found need for it
    Last edited by cyrillefrenchy; 07-25-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Two more things, #1 do I recall correctly that you replace the plate with the new newer plates that are plastic or just replace with the original metal? #2 the 5200 adhesive do you apply to the new piece then place it in place or do you add to both the new piece and the part you are adhering to? And what stops the water from coming in were the hole is that the shaft goes through? I sorry about all the questions, but before I do something I access all of what needs to be done, understand it, then proceed to do the job. Also you know I can not just call you in the middle of the job.

yes I replace the plate every times, not expansive and the old ones are always very corroded, the new plastic plate does not fit, different shape.
    yes 5200 on the new plate and install , screws on and wedge, clean the excess of 5200 on outside and inside the shaft hole.
    the water is stopped by the bearing and seals and by the rubber boot around the bearing bushing.

job done, everything is back together and no leak !!
    engine compartment washed, new motor mounts, reverse cable , all new clamps on water line, new plugs, air filter removed because all contaminated by oil, oil level checked, everything works like it should except the gas level showing full at the dash and level is half in the tank, most likely the fuel sender lever in the tank is frozen up, classic on skis sitting .

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by GStrans View Post
    Two more things, #1 do I recall correctly that you replace the plate with the new newer plates that are plastic or just replace with the original metal? #2 the 5200 adhesive do you apply to the new piece then place it in place or do you add to both the new piece and the part you are adhering to? And what stops the water from coming in were the hole is that the shaft goes through? I sorry about all the questions, but before I do something I access all of what needs to be done, understand it, then proceed to do the job. Also you know I can not just call you in the middle of the job.
    Get the parts at boats.net
    $$ very reasonable
    I replaced the bearing carrier and all new oem bearings.
    The 50 bucks difference was not worth having to take engine out again

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html

Quote Originally Posted by cyrillefrenchy View Post
    Hello friends
    Great job and as always great write up.
    Got my parts in and hoping to get to it this weekend!
    I think you need a sticky for all your VX write ups

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information