Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

'87 440 revving problem

Hello everyone,
    I have a Kawasaki 440 with a rebuilt engine. Yesterday was the first time running it. The problem Ι encountered is that the jet ski couldn't rev up. In the beginning as i tried to stand up on it I applied much throttle and it reved up with a delay of 1-2 seconds. On a second attempt I apllied full throttle an it couldn't rev up at all. It barely got me out of the sea. the oil ratio I made is 24:1. I know it's too much oil but as I said it's the first time i run the engine after the rebuilt process. I suspect that the problem is caused by the carburetor. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the carburetor so it will rev up fast without any problem?
    P.S. Sorry for my english

Re: '87 440 revving problem

What are the carb needles set at?
    Just an Average Joe
    1986 JS550, 440 Pump, Dual Water Lines, OCJS Aluminum Exhaust, PJS Longbody, Supertrap Waterbox...... 25 seasons together...Lots of Good Times

I have no idea. The low speed needle should be alright because it idles well, Maybe it needs half turn to raise it a little bit because in the water it stalls and dies after a few seconds but i don't mind because I'm afraid of losing it if I fall. Do you mean how many turns the needles are screwed in the carb?

How many turns out from tight. So turn the high and low in until they wont turn any more (do not over tighten) then turn them out 1 for the high and 1/2 for the low if you have a mikuni 38bn which is what is usually on the 440. Start there and see how it revs. It may need some adjustment. 32:1 ratio of fuel to oil is probably the better choice after a rebuild.

Ok, I will check the needles the way you say. How can I know if my carburetor is a 38bn? I also noticed that when i run the jet ski in the garage it revs up. I apply full throttle, it has an instant hesitation and after that it revs up high. When I run it in the water it denies to rev. I know that the water brakes the engine but is it so much difference?
    Last edited by Vasilis 440; 07-09-2013 at 03:23 PM.

water will bog down your engine especially if you already have a really low idle. Also you can tell if it is a 38bn by seeing if it has 3 bolts that mount the flame arrestor to the carb.

OK, I turned the needles back to stock position. Now it seems to run fine. It revs up high instantaneously with a touching of the throttle lever. I haven't tested in the water yet but on the trailer looks good. How can I know that it's not running lean and be in danger to seize the engine?

To play it safe turn both needles out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and you will most likely be on the rich side to start out with. Now your getting into carb tuning which I am no master at myself so my advice would be to go to this link and start reading : ) When you tune the carb you have to do it in the water so you have load on the engine.

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=62278

Thanks man!

Thread Information