pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Coast Guard and Dolphins (Destin/Crab Island)

Last year we broke in our new 2012 Wave Runner down in destin in the Choctawhatchee Bay, a truly wonderful place to ride.

I kept seeing the Coast Guard guys singling out the Rental Jet ski riders as they were slowing to watch the dolphins. I know its illegal to swim or touch dolphins, and I would NEVER dream of messing with them (I am a monthly dolphin island contributor) but is it wrong to slow down to watch the dolphins on your jet ski?

Re: Coast Guard and Dolphins (Destin/Crab Island)

Yeah, it is illegal to follow them. I have seen them so many times that I just roll by. Not worth the hassle.

94' Superjet - Project

PWCToday Newbie

So you're saying it's illegal to swim with them? If you get in the water and they come up to you, is that different?

Quote Originally Posted by greggtex View Post
    So you're saying it's illegal to swim with them? If you get in the water and they come up to you, is that different?
    I think "They came up to me in the water" would be a losing argument with a Coast Guard patrol.
    They were ALL over those making a tiny bit of wake this year. Pulling over tourists left and right. If they are Nazi's about that, then I can see them really giving you a hard time over the dolphins.

My 2 cents worth

D

PWCToday Newbie

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Was in Panama City and Destin last Oct. and they 'd come right up by us but didn't harass em.

Quote Originally Posted by greggtex View Post
    Ok, thanks for letting me know. Was in Panama City and Destin last Oct. and they 'd come right up by us but didn't harass em.
    Well, if you are IN the gulf of mexico, I don't think the coast guard will bother you. But if you are in the Bay behind Destin (crab island and vicinity) where its calmer and the dolphins come back after feeding...that's where the coast guard is hyper sensitive.

I just looked at a map of Panama City (have not been there in yeaaaaars).
    They too have bays where I can see dolphins retuning from the gulf after morning feeding. THATS where I would think the coast guard would pinch you. In the bay behind destin there is a shallow area called Crab Island where you can actually walk in waist water. Its basically a huge tailgate party and loads of fun. THAT is the no wake zone and the coast guard was writing tickets as fast as they could.
    Not sure if Panama City's bays have a shallow gathering area like destin does.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home AC 46's Avatar

I rode panama city before.st.andrew's bay/alligator point.saw lots of dolphin.if anything they followed us on our standups..had 0 issues with the authorities.
    R.I.P. Super Sic

Thread Information