Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: msd timing

msd timing

setting up my static timing for total loss and looking for recommendations for my 750sx, also does the msd flywheel have any advance built in or are the marks true to their value, thanks, motor is ported has 28cc domes, 46mm carb, and factory exhaust
    Gen2 BOB JW850BB

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

Re: msd timing

20-30* advance at idle
    Start retarding at 4500 rpm
    13* advance by 7200 rpm
    Rev limit at 8500-9500 rpm

If you want a harder hit on the bottom go 30* initial, milder hit go less advance. There is no advance built into an MSD total loss fw that I know of.

Home of Newmiller Machine

ok I've got it all wired up according to the instructions, problem is I cannot get it to crank over the starter. I know the brain works because the timing light works and it beaps, the coil works because if I rotate the motor by hand I get spark, the starter works because if I take the cables and touch them to a battery it turns the motor over, but when I put it all together I only get the timing light to come on and spark of I manually rotate it, is there anyway to test the relay to see if that is bad? or is my wiring messed up somewhere. on off switch also works but i get nothing if i try the start stop button. help please
    Gen2 BOB JW850BB

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

Start swith wired wrong???

Home of Newmiller Machine

got it figured out, my relay was bad or going bad, i could get the starter to click but not turn, I wired up the relay from the stock ignition I removed from the ski and it cranked right over, I now have a working ski, minus fuel and a good battery
    Gen2 BOB JW850BB

Ok I'm getting a little upset here, had everything wired up and had spark but a weak battery, so today I went and bought a brand new battery and got fuel/oil ready to hit the water this weekend. Go to start it up for the very first time ever get the lines all primed, put new plugs in and nothing just cranks, take the plugs out set them on the head, no spark, checked all connections, not that it had been moved in the past 3 days all good, got the 12v light out, everything has power and is hooked up exactly the same as three days before when it sparked. So I tore it all out of the ski and I cannot get my led light to come on on the MSD box. Does this mean that it is totally dead? Or is there another way to test it? I also hooked the black ground directly to the battery and hooked the wire from the on off switch directly to the battery and cranked it over by hand with green wire still hooked to pick up plate and got nothing from the box. FML. Help
    Gen2 BOB JW850BB

anyone?
    Gen2 BOB JW850BB

PWCToday Regular

If you have the black to ground on battery, red & violet to positive on battery take the two green wires and touch them together quickly it should light up. If not i would say its went bad.

www.msdpowersports.com
    ANALOG TOTAL LOSS IGNITION SySTEM FOR WATERCRAFT, PN 4270
    TROUBLEShOOTING
    After installing the MSD Ignition System, if the craft fails to start, check the installation procedure for any missing steps. If everything checks correctly, inspect the following:
    1. Check the battery to make sure it is fully charged and properly connected. Also make sure the terminal
    connections are clean and tight.
    2. Checkthein-linefuseontheheavyRedwireoftheMSDIgnition.
    3. Makesuretherearenoloosewireconnections.Allconnecti onsshouldbefreeofrust,paintorotherdebris.
    4. Visuallychecktheconnectionsonthecoil.Onlytwowiress houldbemakingcontacttothecoilwires.Orange
    should be connected to the Orange wire on the coil and the Blue wire should be connected to the Black wire
    on the coil. Do Not connect any test equipment, test lights, etc. to the coil wires.
    5. Check the Ignition's heavy Red wire for 12 volts. If 12 volts is not there, check the connections or battery
    condition.
    6. Checkfor12voltsontheVioletwireoftheMSDIgnitionwhen theignitionon/offswitchisintheONposition.
    7. Checkthecraft'ssafetylanyardforproperoperation.
    If there is still a problem present after checking all of the above steps, continue with the following diagnostic procedures.
    TESTING ThE IGNITION FOR SPARK.
    After checking the wiring through the Troubleshooting Check List and the Wiring of the MSD Watercraft Ignition system, test the MSD Ignition to make sure that it is sparking. If the ignition produces a spark in this test, then it can be assumed that the ignition is functioning properly. To check for spark, follow this procedures:
    1. MakesuretheignitionswitchisintheOffposition.
    2. Removethesparkplugs,thenconnectthesparkplugwiresto theplugsandpositionthemsoyoucanobserve the spark jump the plug gap. The plugs must be grounded.
    3. Cutthetwogreentriggerwiresfromthetriggerpickup.Whe nfinishedwiththistestyoumustconnectthewires together following the wiring tips discussed earlier in this manual.
    4. TurntheignitionswitchOn.DoNotattempttocranktheengi ne.
    5. TakeashortlengthofwireandjumpthetwoGreenwiresfromt heignitiontogether,thenreleasethemquickly
    several times. When you do this, a spark should jump the spark plug gap.
    6. Ifthereisnospark,substituteanotherignitioncoilandr epeatthetest.
    TESTING ThE TRIGGER PICKUP.
    After checking the Ignition Module, you can test the operation of the trigger pickup.
    Note: The two Green trigger pickup wires must be connected at this time.
    1. DisconnecttheMSDIgnition'sRedwirefromthebatteryors tartersolenoidandturntheignitionswitchtothe On position.
    2. While observing the LED on the side of the ignition, rotate the crankshaft by hand. When the pickup and the magnet on the flywheel line up, the LED should illuminate.
    3. IftheLEDlights,thetriggerpickupisoperatingproperly .IftheLEDdoesnotlight,checktheairgapbetweenthe pickup and the flywheel magnet. It should be .050" - .094". If the air gap is correct, the trigger pickup is at fault.
    If you perform all the above suggestions or have any questions concerning the installation or operation of your MSD Watercraft Ignition Kit, call the MSD Powersports Customer service department for more information.
    Thanks out to Chris Newmiller & Robin Haas
    1994 550sx conversion hybrid 750 PJS reed motor build in process
    1993 550sx PJS 550 t3 reed motor build in process

Quote Originally Posted by jojorico View Post
    If you have the black to ground on battery, red & violet to positive on battery take the two green wires and touch them together quickly it should light up. If not i would say its went bad.

www.msdpowersports.com
    ANALOG TOTAL LOSS IGNITION SySTEM FOR WATERCRAFT, PN 4270
    TROUBLEShOOTING
    After installing the MSD Ignition System, if the craft fails to start, check the installation procedure for any missing steps. If everything checks correctly, inspect the following:
    1. Check the battery to make sure it is fully charged and properly connected. Also make sure the terminal
    connections are clean and tight.
    2. Checkthein-linefuseontheheavyRedwireoftheMSDIgnition.
    3. Makesuretherearenoloosewireconnections.Allconnecti onsshouldbefreeofrust,paintorotherdebris.
    4. Visuallychecktheconnectionsonthecoil.Onlytwowiress houldbemakingcontacttothecoilwires.Orange
    should be connected to the Orange wire on the coil and the Blue wire should be connected to the Black wire
    on the coil. Do Not connect any test equipment, test lights, etc. to the coil wires.
    5. Check the Ignition's heavy Red wire for 12 volts. If 12 volts is not there, check the connections or battery
    condition.
    6. Checkfor12voltsontheVioletwireoftheMSDIgnitionwhen theignitionon/offswitchisintheONposition.
    7. Checkthecraft'ssafetylanyardforproperoperation.
    If there is still a problem present after checking all of the above steps, continue with the following diagnostic procedures.
    TESTING ThE IGNITION FOR SPARK.
    After checking the wiring through the Troubleshooting Check List and the Wiring of the MSD Watercraft Ignition system, test the MSD Ignition to make sure that it is sparking. If the ignition produces a spark in this test, then it can be assumed that th e best timing light for msd ignition is functioning properly. To check for spark, follow this procedures:
    1. MakesuretheignitionswitchisintheOffposition.
    2. Removethesparkplugs,thenconnectthesparkplugwiresto theplugsandpositionthemsoyoucanobserve the spark jump the plug gap. The plugs must be grounded.
    3. Cutthetwogreentriggerwiresfromthetriggerpickup.Whe nfinishedwiththistestyoumustconnectthewires together following the wiring tips discussed earlier in this manual.
    4. TurntheignitionswitchOn.DoNotattempttocranktheengi ne.
    5. TakeashortlengthofwireandjumpthetwoGreenwiresfromt heignitiontogether,thenreleasethemquickly
    several times. When you do this, a spark should jump the spark plug gap.
    6. Ifthereisnospark,substituteanotherignitioncoilandr epeatthetest.
    TESTING ThE TRIGGER PICKUP.
    After checking the Ignition Module, you can test the operation of the trigger pickup.
    Note: The two Green trigger pickup wires must be connected at this time.
    1. DisconnecttheMSDIgnition'sRedwirefromthebatteryors tartersolenoidandturntheignitionswitchtothe On position.
    2. While observing the LED on the side of the ignition, rotate the crankshaft by hand. When the pickup and the magnet on the flywheel line up, the LED should illuminate.
    3. IftheLEDlights,thetriggerpickupisoperatingproperly .IftheLEDdoesnotlight,checktheairgapbetweenthe pickup and the flywheel magnet. It should be .050" - .094". If the air gap is correct, the trigger pickup is at fault.
    If you perform all the above suggestions or have any questions concerning the installation or operation of your MSD Watercraft Ignition Kit, call the MSD Powersports Customer service department for more information.
    Thanks for this information!
    Last edited by Ynaelp; 11-01-2018 at 12:36 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

One more thing if you did not check the air gap between the pickup and the flywheel do so now, if its too much it will never spark, they make shims to correct this issue, it needs to be no less than .040 " and no more than .096"
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Thread Information