User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

2004 Polaris msx1100 axcell problem

I'm sorry I don't have to many details on the problem for this is a friend of mine's ski. He bought it and it was not run in a couple of years. He took it in and had it gone through(oil changed, greased, etc). He took it out for the first time and the engine light came on and it wouldn't go over 17mph. He called a few places and everyone is talking ecu. The guy he bought from told him he hasn't had any problems and showed where all his service was done. It has 30hrs on it. Does this sound like a common issue? If so, what has people done to cure this issue

Re: 2004 Polaris msx1100 axcell problem

If we could read the codes without the Polaris dealer-only digi-wrench... then it would be easy to figure out what's tripping up the ECU. Yeah... it's definitely an ECU limp mode or problem... since it controls everything from fuel to spark to throttle.

Was there an overheat indicator on the display? Or just check engine indicator? Do you recall the specific RPMs it was limited to? ECU has specific rev limits for certain problems... so that could help point to issue.

It's possible it could be an overboost problem. The wastegate on the turbo is known to seize. Make sure you can move the wastegate arm downwards about an inch and that it pulls shut on it's own. If it won't it's seized and needs to be unstuck. Lots of penetrating oil and maybe some gentle heat and lots of patience.

I'd also pull the intake hardpipe... one between intercooler and intake manifold... and look in the pipe and hoses for oily gunk. If present, then the engine is suffering from oil ingestion and has likely gunked up the MAP sensor and it's giving the ECU bad readings.

I'd definitely do a compression test. These early gen Weber blocks were known to suffer Nicasil plating failure which results in low compression and poor running. Should be 125# - 140# in each.

There are lots of threads with good info about these skis over at the main Polaris hangout... green hulk dot net.

Cheers!

I appreciate it. I got to look at it today and get more info. The rpm's were at 3200. There was a red light above the speedo and the check engine light on. I checked the compression and it was 138/137. It had a crank/no start. I checked the oil and it was plumb full( by plumb full I mean you pull the dip stick and you can see oil in the hole and all the way up the dip stick). I pulled some oil out and it looked yellow(not like normal oil). I think something is very wrong( sarcastic voice)

That's great compression! But yeah... oil sounds off. How long did the engine get run before the problems? I ask cause sometimes oil will have a little condensation in it and appear a little bubbly/milky if not run up to full temperature. A good run where all the oil get up to temp will burn off very trace amounts of moisture and make the oil look more clear and normal.

Proper oil checking procedure: cold engine, start run 30 seconds (no hose needed), shut off, pull dipstick, wipe, insert but do NOT screw back in, pull, read. Should be anywhere from just on the tip of the dipstick up to the MIN mark... but no higher. When the engine/oil gets up to temp... it will thin out and register higher on the dipstick.

As for RPM limit... a 3400RPM limit would in forward point to all-too-common SIFB failure where the ski thinks it's in reverse and won't let the RPMs go over 3400. Also when the SIFB fails it commonly won't let you start the engine... or sometimes will start but can't stop (lanyard or stop button)... and often times will not let the ignition system power down so it drains the battery.

Cheers!

I just found out, the ski sat for 2 years (winterized as the service slip showed). He de winterized it and it sounded good while it ran with the hose on it. My buddy took it in to get the oil changed and had the ski "gone through". It's acted up the first time he took it out. When it was acting up, is when the oil started to over flow. Not the ski will not start. I have read a lot on the sifb sensor. Is that the one hanging above the battery or the one hanging under the storage compartment in the front of the ski. He took it to the guy who services our boat but, I don't think he has the obsolete scan tool for the Polaris skis. I think I'm going to order the sensor and try it out. The worst that will happen is nothing changes. I run a national chain of auto repair centers and my biggest pet peeve is putting the fix it dart board up and blindly throwing parts at it till its fixed but a 40 dollar sensor(that goes bad anyway) may not be a bad buy

I'd be curious what the boat guy did when it was "gone through". I'd bet it's way too full of oil. Remedy that first. I like to pull the wire connector on top of the fuel tank for the fuel pump (to not get any fuel), then pull the plugs (to ease cranking on starter), then you can pull the oil return hose to the oil tank and stick it in a bottle and crank the engine over... it will fill the bottle quick. This would be the easiest way to remove some excess oil (not all of it)... and also the way most "drain" their oil when changing. Then put plugs in, hookup fuel pump connector and start it... 30 secs... turn off, pull dipstick, wipe, insert (but don't screw in), pull and read. Want oil anywhere from just on the tip up to MIN mark. This is with a cold engine...that you just run for 30 secs.

The SIFB module is the one zip-tied to the wire harness above the battery. These are impossible to find. Polaris doesn't make them anymore... and they go fast on parted-out skis. Randy at Weber Power (dot com) is working with a guy to re-manufacture some replacements. I've tested 2 prototypes already. There should be some soon for sale... but they will be over $100... sorry.

Polaris dealers still use their special diagnosis Digital Wrench software. It's the MSX 110/150 specific dongle that most no longer have and without it can't hook up to the ski to read the ECU. Plus many weren't around in the PWC days or don't remember and as such many dealers won't mess with them. But it's still possible that some may be able to just read the codes for you.

Cheers!

Doesn't look good, we took it in and the guy said the oil is mixed with water and has metal flakes in it. Not too sure what that means

Thread Information