Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

Re: Jetting Guru's! Dual 3 jet Keihin CDK2 40's help!

Classic B.S. Bill post! Solve a problem that doesn't even exist, all the while baffling em with bullsheet.

Carry on...

Home of Newmiller Machine

PWCToday Newbie

Yes they are connected to the oem fuel selector, i think I'm going to replace the fuel filter as it has a small Stone type filter that I've never messed with, previous owner installed it, the fuel selector seems to work great yet, but i have my suspicions about the filter being restricted

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcn6 View Post
    Classic B.S. Bill post! Solve a problem that doesn't even exist, all the while baffling em with bullsheet.

Carry on...
    Always entertaining though Chris, you have to admit !
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

I was 300SXing when 300SXing wasn't cool !

Nurse!! He is out of bed and off his meds again!!!

Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by wmazz View Post
    The standard jetting and acceleration of a 44-46 sbn is mediocre in
    comparison to the 3 jet Keihins. bla,bla,bla...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jdbarnes89 View Post
    So would going to a single sbn44 yeild any benefit over the dual 40s?
    The only areas you'd see improvements with a single would be fuel economy and ease of tuning. Power and torque will be significantly down. Sometimes fuel economy matters. Not only that, but because of the smaller venturi size, we actually find that two small duals have better throttle response than a bigger single. And this isn't a one time thing, it's with every set up we have tested.

Remember with the single 40mm Keihin the 750s were rated at 63 hp and pretty much all else equal with dual 40mms they were rated at 75. A 44 sbn might be what, 65-67hp then? Also when you port the cylinder and keep modding the engine, you'll be getting bigger gains by having those dual carbs over a single.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [47.8mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1995 SJ MINT:
    [TBD]

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcn6 View Post
    Nurse!! He is out of bed and off his meds again!!!

Carry on...
    Chris I actually don't disagree with what Bill said. But, you have to significantly change the jetting on the 3 jet Keihins and know what you're doing to address the weaknesses which they have stock. Of any carbs I have encountered, they offer the biggest improvement between how the are stock vs set up correctly. Stock they are horrifyingly bad. When jetted appropriately they are shockingly good. On my 550/750, I did a 40mm Keihin single and briefly a 44sbn. I switched to dual 3 jet Keihins, worked on the jetting a bunch, and never looked back. Did the same on my 650sx/750.

The 44 sbn is a good all around carb. And for most people it works very well. Particularly if you want something easy to tune. But the only 44 sbn / single carb I have on all my skis is my Wavejammer 650. It does 48mph with one, and even on that I have been thinking of switching to duals.
    Last edited by theVetteman3; 05-20-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [47.8mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1995 SJ MINT:
    [TBD]

PWCToday Newbie

Well I'm going to change the fuel filter, i installed the r&d stuffers and new gaskets, i took my Dremel and evenly matched the intake to the stuffers the best i could, mostly just rounded out so it flows without the sharp edge, they did not align up to well, so when weather gets better I'll report back with my findings!

You agree with B.S. Bill that a single 44 SBN performs "mediocre" compared to a single Keihin on similarly modified intake assemblies? How about dual Keihin's against dual BN40/38 I-bodies in similar applications?

I like Keihin's on stock boats and actually prefer Keihin PWK Air Strikers on my Banshee builds. However, tuning parts are numerous, cheap and readily available for PWK's which is definitely not the case with Keihin CDK's. Personally, I prefer to just order whatever jets, springs, N/S needed and be done with it as opposed to investing the time and effort to back door tune a Keihin's. But that's just me, if you have made the effort to come up with something that works I commend you as there are a bunch of stock Keihin racks off of 1995 and 1996 750's out there collecting dust. However, to state that the performance of a properly tuned Mikuni is mediocre to a comparable Keihin is total B.S. evidenced by any starting line at any race anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by theVetteman3 View Post
    Chris I actually don't disagree with what Bill said. But, you have to significantly change the jetting on the 3 jet Keihins and know what you're doing to address the weaknesses which they have stock. Of any carbs I have encountered, they offer the biggest improvement between how the are stock vs set up correctly. Stock they are horrifyingly bad. When jetted appropriately they are shockingly good. On my 550/750, I did a 40mm Keihin single and briefly a 44sbn. I switched to dual 3 jet Keihins, worked on the jetting a bunch, and never looked back. Did the same on my 650sx/750.

The 44 sbn is a good all around carb. And for most people it works very well. Particularly if you want something easy to tune. But the only 44 sbn / single carb I have on all my skis is my Wavejammer 650. It does 48mph with one, and even on that I have been thinking of switching to duals.

PWCToday Newbie

So I'm reading that one of the other fellas on this post recommended using 40g springs to bring the pop off around 15-17 psi what are the thoughts of this? Could it be reasons why my high and low screws are so far out? Cause I'm at about 25ish psi

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

If your high and low screws exceed two turns JET UP one size, and retest. Most carb tuning specs do not exceed 1.5 turns out.
    Last edited by JonnyX2; 05-21-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information