pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

97 Wave Venture dies from idle to WOT after full rebuild?

How's it going guys, I have looked around for answers and have found a few but wanted to see if someone could give me a more precise answer. I bought a 97 Wave Venture 760 last year and rode it for the rest of the season. Last year it ran good with the exception of the carbs being rich and from an idle to slamming WOT it would stutter and die. I rebuilt the top end with Pro X piston (stock bore) cylinders honed, new reeds, rebuilt carbs, new solas concord prop, rebuilt jet pump unit and intermediate housing. Also went pre-mix, installed a primer kit (did not remove the choke), a new battery, aquavein intake grate and R&D ride plate.

Ok so yesterday went out to the lake for about 5 hours, finished the first break-in tank and refueled at 50:1 ratio and added an ounce of Sta-bil. Took the ski back to my chill spot on the lake and finished letting the motor cool. Went ahead and turned the carbs back in to stock settings (had rich for break in) and then took it for a ride. First thing I tested for was the hesitation/motor dieing that was happening to me last year. Same thing from an idle to yanking WOT the ski stutters and dies. Ok so I figure well lean condition on the low end so I richen up the ski and reset the idle. Try again and same thing, went ahead and tried out the top end, seemed to run pretty good hitting 6500 WOT but still a little rich (top RPM should be around 6700). Now from what I have read this could be a few different things.

Pop-Off Pressure to high
    Pilot jet to small
    Fuel tank check valve bad or fuel tank has air leak not allowing to build up enough pressure

Stock carb settings call for +/- quarter turn out and I have read that people have had to go richer than what the manual calls for but I don't believe that is my case since last year at 1/4 turn out on all needles my plugs constantly had dark black carbon build up from running overly rich.

I have read that the fuel tank not building up enough pressure can cause a low speed hesitation and is normally a result of the check valve going bad. Now I could be leaking pressure through the primer and I do intend to put a check valve on right after the Tee for the tygon fuel line. I didn't soak the jets in any cleaner because honestly they looked good when I was rebuilding the carb but I was thinking maybe they have a slight build up causing slight restriction. I'm thinking this over the pop off being to high because the pop off was popping at around 52 on each carb and I left the spring the stock gram which is 115.

One last thing that I can think of is that if I give the ski about 2200 rpm off idle and yank WOT instead of dieing the motor bogs slightly but then catchs and takes off. If I am coming off a WOT pass and let the ski come down to around idle RPM's but still coasting and then yank WOT again it will jump and go although this isn't always the case as some of the times I did this it would bog a little and then take off again.

So am I on the right path here? I'm thinking of changing the check valve and adding the check valve to the primer line first as that is the simplest and cheapest fix on my list so far.

Thanks for helping guys

If it helps any at all here is my piston wash and plug readings after yesterday....

Last edited by override; 04-29-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Re: 97 Wave Venture dies from idle to WOT after full rebuild?

Went ahead and order the check valves and new jets for both carbs...I head back to work today so won't get any time to mess with the ski for 2 weeks. Anyone have any ideas?

PWCToday Newbie

Anything to report? Mine is doing th esame thing. have not ran but one tank of fuel thru it since I bought it a month ago.

I'm on my way home from work but as soon as I figure something out I'll post it. So yours wont stay running at all or it just dies when you yank the throttle from an idle? I'm going to dip my carbs in some berrymans Carb cleaner and do the things I mentioned
    If that doesn't solve it the a leak down test is in order.

PWCToday Newbie

Mine only does it when you gun it from an idle. It may be the carbs as this is the 1st tank of fuel for the season (fresh fuel)

did you run a stabilizer in the fuel and run it for a bit before it was stored? maybe the carbs are gummed up

Check your check valve on the fuel tank, take the line that it runs to under the seat off the vent. Push air in and pull out with your mouth to see if its working good. Have you checked your Carb settings? I've found that these like to run richer than the stock turns out. Maybe as well your idle could be set a little to low.

PWCToday Newbie

Myself, I just aquired the ski. I have ran it twice about 2 hours since owning it. The tank was near empty when I bought it which I do not do when storing anything with a combustion engine. I always marine Sta-bil even my motorcycle when storing for any period of time. I know little to nothing about the ski. I think once I run it a little more at different rpm ranges it may clear up. If not will a little carb cleaner help or should I try a different route? It has been YEARS since I touched a carb. I would probably screw it up more than help..my luck.

PWCToday Newbie

Which hose is it that comes off on these that kills them--literally? I may need to change the plugs as well. I have a new set of NGK's the PO gave me.
    Last edited by skididdy; 05-14-2013 at 09:14 AM.

The oil injection lines tend to pop off, the pump could go out, check valves could fowl up. Sounds to me like your carbs just need to be cleaned, simple fix and fairly easy and cheap to perform. I can recommend a place to get the rebuild kit from, guy is super nice and helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information