Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

First waverunner (1995 VXR), what next?

Howdy everyone,
    I purchased my first Waverunner about a month ago, a 1995 VXR 650. So far it has been great, but I know this is an early ski and they have come a LONG way since. Not looking for a replacement right now, but would pick up one at an an awesome deal.

My favorite thing about the old VXR is it's simplicity (I can fix everything myself), and price ($400).

I primarily use this ski in lieu of taking the boat out to tie-ups, or to zip over to another harbor (with one pass. max), so the following is important to me.

-Ride quality in choppy water (Long Island Sound).
    -Dryer ride.
    -Top end speed (I don't care how quickly I accelerate to that speed, not towing, jumping, tricks, etc).
    -And again... simple (no superchargers, turbos, etc) maybe even carbureted (GASP!).

Speaking of simplicity, I am all about effort/money spent to return... I don't need the newest of anything. For example, my 1998 Roadster has 240HP, the 2001 has 315HP, but the engine is more complex including the need for valve adjustment, I would not take this engine if it was given to me, there is simply not enough additional return on the effort, and I have enough things to maintain as it is!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: First waverunner (1995 VXR), what next?

Sounds to me like you'd be happy with a Waveblaster II or a GP760. Either of which can be had reasonably cheap. BUT....top end speed & ride quality in choppy water don't go together in the older skis.
    PWC Repair serving the Twin Lakes area
    We don't work on 'em.......we fix 'em.
    Parts for sale HERE

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Or a three seater for a dryer smoother ride like a yamaha waveventure 700 or 760, xl700 or xl760, Any Yamaha 650,700 or 760 2-cylinder will be just as simple and reliable as your current ski.
    02 Superjet
    94 FX-1
    90 Superjet
    95 Waveraider

PWCToday Regular

Thanks for the replies. So the GP is a two seater, and the XL is a 3?

What about the 800 motor? Looks like a 2-cyl.

Damn, this thing looks modern to me (especially compared to mine, lol). I wonder what the $1,400 in repairs fixed?
    http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/3693277576.html

The 800 is a good motor once the OEM screwups are all fixed. $1400 might have only been on a topend on that ski. The cylinders are plated with no sleeve. If it gets gouged you have to send it for replate or buy new cylinders. Then you have the powervalves which fall into the cylinder and cause all sorts of damage. If everythings been fixed and powervalve keepers upgraded, that's probably a good deal. You will want to test ride it and see the receipt with explanation of work done, not just "repairs".
    Parts for sale HERE

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Regular

Thanks for the replies, so whats a step newer than these, or are they all fuel injected? Where is the diminishing point of return when it comes to more powerful ski's (as I said, I don't really care about acceleration)? From what I searched the ones suggested above are about 50 MPH ski's? Does it take a lot more power to get to 60MPH? Ultimately I should really drive some ski's (some friends of mine have much newer ones).

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    The 800 is a good motor once the OEM screwups are all fixed. $1400 might have only been on a topend on that ski. The cylinders are plated with no sleeve. If it gets gouged you have to send it for replate or buy new cylinders. Then you have the powervalves which fall into the cylinder and cause all sorts of damage. If everythings been fixed and powervalve keepers upgraded, that's probably a good deal. You will want to test ride it and see the receipt with explanation of work done, not just "repairs".
    AH, so the 800 is a PV motor... I had a Yamaha XR1800 Jet boat with twin 1200 PV motors.

Yamaha 650,701 and 760 are all basically the same engine, same crank, either one or two carbs, no power valves, simple to work on.

Yamaha 800 and 1200r motors have power valves and are a little bit more complex.

Yamaha 1100 and 1200 motors are three cylinder, three carbs, no power valves

If you want to go close to 60 mph for cheap, a waveraider 1100 or a gp1200 should run close to 60 stock

Or for alot more money you could get a 1800cc 4-stroke ski and easily go over 60
    02 Superjet
    94 FX-1
    90 Superjet
    95 Waveraider

PWCToday Regular

Thanks dustin88

What was the last year of carbs?

This one is a 2005, what is the "T" in XLT?
    http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/3764170848.html

If you are mostly zipping from point a to point b by yourself or at most 1 passenger there is no point in having a three seater. XLT stands for 'xtra long turd, cause that's what it is. That's a cruising machine for families or old folks. With a few mods the GP760 can get close to 60 and still be reliable. It takes a lot of power to reach 60 and above. Also sucks a lot more fuel. Realistically, do you really need to go that fast? Have you ever been pitched off a ski at 50mph? I don't even want to know what it feels like being pitched at 60+. Our GP1200 that my wife rides will do right at 62mph on GPS. That's a white nuckle ride when it goes airborne off some wake. My HX does 53 and is plenty fast for me. When you are used to a jet ski doing 40mph and you upgrade to one that does 50+ it's night and day difference.
    Parts for sale HERE

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday Regular

Thanks again for the replies. I have been taking the 1995 VXR out at least twice a week, sooo much easier at raft-ups than the boat, easier, less gas, no expectation to bring beer (just kidding), etc. This fall I plan to see what is out there when it comes to used, newer units. $2,000-$3,000 budget?

Looks like a two-seater... GP760 was mentioned a few times in the thread. It looks like the GP was made for quite a few years. How does the GP hull generally compare to others in ride/dryness, etc?

Also, I have come across some GP800R units (power valve), how does this exactly make things more complex? I had a Yamaha XR1800 Jet boat with twin 1200PV motors, swapped an SBT block for one, as I recall PV blocks just looked more substancial?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information