Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Jet Pump Liner - Impeller sticking!

Hey Guys,

I am having issues with my Kawasaki 750sx. I had the jet pump refurbished and a stainless liner installed a few years back. Now after I leave the ski for a while the impeller is always binding on the liner! I have to remove the pump and grind down the liner to free it up before I use it, which you can imagine is an utter ball ache!
    I think the aluminium pump housing is corroding behind the liner which causes it to be pushed out against the impeller over time.

Is their anyway to stop this from happening as its ruining my enjoyment and my rather expensive impeller!?

Thanks in advance.

Stevo.

PWCToday Regular

Re: Jet Pump Liner - Impeller sticking!

you answered your own question ... corrosion ...

instead of grinding it back renew the ring if the pump shoe is to far gone you will need to renew also

on install coat every thing with anti seize / copper coat

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

PM sent
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

same problem on my X2 pump. I just got a brand new hooker 9/15 impeller and when I install and try spinning by hand it sticks in certain spots. The crap impeller I removed spun smooth. Has anyone ever tried taking a cylinder hone to these or does anyone know any other tricks.
    I want this thing to spin butter smooth as its a build ski and every bearing and seal has been replaced. if I have to bite the bullet and send it out to SBT for refurb I will but I figured id ask you experts first.

PWCToday Newbie

Hi Brandon,

I originally posted this question an shortly after i found a solution and PERMANENTLY sorted my issue!!! ��
    I had the exact same problem and tried honing like you suggested. However there are 2 issues with that, 1: stainless sleeve is so hard it takes waaaay too long and 2: it thins out the stainless sleeve wall which makes the problem worse.

The problem is the aluminium housing reacts with the dis-similar metal of the sleeve causing corrosion between the two. The sleeve is thinner and is pushed into the blades. This happens everytime once it starts. You remove the pump, grind down the “sticky” points on your sleeve then need to do it all over again a few months later!! So irritating!

However, i did sort it. And heres how:
    I re-sleeved the pump housing with a perspex cylinder for a liner. I found a cylinder with the exact internal diameter required for my impeller and simply machined the outer diameter on a lathe to an interference fit to the pump housing.
    I will post up some pictures layer to show you the jig set up i used to do it. It sounds like a lot of work but its no worse than taking out the pump to grind down the sleeve! Its now been 5 years since i did it and it has never seized up again!!! Bliss!!

Many benefits of this, perspex is cheaper and easier to machine than stainless and There is NO reaction between the aluminium and sleeve. Even if it did, the perspex would not damage your prop like the current metal to metal wear!

Ill post up some pictures to give you some ideas later. Best of luck!

Stevo

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Chester's Avatar

It's from salt water corrosion. Salt water sometimes will creep in behind the liner and aluminum oxide forms. It then expands and forces the liner to bulge into the impeller.

Chester
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

Couches:

96 XP
    86 X2

PWCToday Newbie

PWCToday Newbie

image3.jpeg

Jig I made to hold persepex for machining. Nuts on the threaded rod hold it together and threaded rod fits into chuck and tailstop
    This works perfectly! No possibilty of Galvanic corrosion from dis-similar metals. Very easy to replace if it does get damaged in the future. But for now it is good after 5 years. Definately worth the effort.
    Spending money on another stainless sleeve is not really the way to go as it WILL happen again.

Hope this helps.

Stevo

PWCToday Newbie

sleeve.jpeg

The most difficult part of the repair was the liner removal. However, removing the stainless liner is not as tricky as you think. If you have access to a welder and a slide hammer its no problem.
    Run a complete bead of weld right around the inside of the sleeve in 3 or 4 seperate bands. When the weld cools it shrinks and, as it is welded in a band, this effectively reduces the diameter of the sleeve, pulling it inwards and free of the impeller housing. However, it is still very tight. I welded 2x threaded rods inside to hook my slide hammer underneath. Holding the housing down it was possible tohammer/pull out the sleeve without too much effort.

I rubbed down all the corrosion on the aluminium with course grit sandpaper and applied etching primer to seal it before inserting the sleeve.

Go for it! You wont regret it!

Stevo

Stevo,

This is some really good info here! Someone has finally found a solution. Unfortunately I do not have a lathe and this job looks to be beyond my expertise. I would be afraid of not getting it perfect or screwing something up. I am going to try and grind down the high spots and in the meantime look for another pump or get one remanufactured.

You should do a few of these, put them to the ultimate test and figure out your costs, I can see a market on here for this as long as they hold up and are reliable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information