Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SXR 1100 pump swap

so Ive never done a build thread before, but have built plenty of skis. thought
    I might try a thread for my sxr 1100 update. So I built this sxr 1100 a few months ago and am stoked on the power this thing makes. the motor is freshly rebuilt, I went with 82mm pistons bringing it to 1125cc with a stock crank and ported the cases and cylinder aswell as decking the cyl and head to get 150 cranking psi and has a custom cut squish band. the only aftermarket part on the motor is a r@d timing advance plate. here is a pic of the sxr before i did the 1100 swap

the hull has a -3 custom made handle pole, tubbies and i chopped it -4 in the back for sharper handling when it had the 750 motor in it, but with the added speed and nose weight the chop was too short for the 1100 and caused wicked darting on deceleration afer a high spped pull so i put a longer (stock length) ride plate to remedy this problem

when i did the 1100 swap I chose to do the loop around exhaust (kit from ebay) and I used a cut down and gutted waterbox from the zxi in the stock waterbox location with the rear exhaust out the right side, I didnt like the amout of exhaust tubing in the ski aswell as the lack of room in the ski with all the exhaust routing. so one of the main reasons for this uppdate is to do a resonator in the gunwhale to eliminate most of the tubing and gain to room to simplify the ski

for the resonators i went with the aero turbine stainless muffler, they were only $40 each so I got 2 of them. since these are made for 4 strokes they are strait through design with a fiberglass packing. so I cut them open and removed the fiberglass packing and stuffed them full of inconel chips at work, then welded them together and wrapped with turf. i will also add a water fitting or 2 to fine tine the back pressure and noise

to start with the update I pulled everything outta the sxr and found an old oversized pjs gas tank in the attic that i wanted to use, after some heating and turf on the bottom i was able to make it fit nicely. I also removed the stock (dirty) nose foam and waterbox. With the added space from not having the waterbox in the nose I took a couple old life vests and duck taped them together and stuffed them up in the nose for some extra floatation

next I removed all the turf, cut open the tray and removed all the foam, Im still undecided on how or where i will put the resonator, im also gonna add a scupper and swap the 148 pump and intake trackt from a zxi into the sxr hull, I plan to set back the 148 pump 6" farther back than the stock 800 pump and inlet for better handling and awsome hook up
    Attached Images Attached Images

EPIC INDUSTRIES - delivering top quality billet products to the pwc market for great prices

SXR 1100 pump swap

Awesome build subscribed
    2004 1100 SX-R
    2011 800 SX-R
    1976 js400-Getting 550 transplant
    2002 Ford Lightning
    "Boats and Hoes"

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bruce in SB's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: SXR 1100 pump swap

Check out "Madness Makers" thread on a 148 swap into a SXR... or mine on 148 into an X2 ... might save some work...
    "Thanks" to Chris Newmiller @ Newmiller Machine

I've read both of those threads and really like the way you adapt the 148 shoe to the 650 shoe, makes it a pretty simple install. I plan to use the whole pump inlet from the zxi, I think using the inlet designed for the 148 pump will let the larger pump work even better, combine that with the added hook up of setting the whole pump and inlet farther back in the hull and it should work very well, I hope. The shallower slope of the zxi intake should be good for a few more mph at least

EPIC INDUSTRIES - delivering top quality billet products to the pwc market for great prices

so today I got the whole intake and pump mounting cut out of the sxr and got the excess fiberglass off the one from the zxi. you can see how much bigger the zxi intake is in the pic with the zxi and sxr side by side (the zxi one has the intake grate on it ). overall the zxi inlet has alot more voulume than the sxr inlet and is about 5/8" wider and about 3" longer. next ill start mocking it up with diffrent length drive shafts I have laying around to determine how far I can set back the pump inlet

PWCToday Regular

looking Great! Where is that muffler or resonator from? Looks like a great product and great deal!

I got the resonators from mandrelbendingsolutions.com its called the aerp resonator AR20 but they are not made for watercraft, thats why I had to cut it open and modify it

got some more work done today, I started by trimming down the intake out of the zxi to fit in the hole I cut in the sxr and found that part of the pump shoe is too widw to match the contour of the bottom of the hull, so Im gonna have to cut it down to fit. Ill just take it into work and mill it down to where I want it, I also found that the pump shoe is about 2-3mm smaller diameter than the wear ring section of the pump so Ill see if I can bore that out as well

next I pump the pump where I wanted it in the hull and made a fixture to hold it in place and found that the drive shaft tube didnt line up with the stock one in the sxr, so i had to trim a little more off the front of the zxi inake where the intake grate bolts on to get it to line up, so now I will have to run a modified intake grate or no intake grate at all, but it lines up now. I decided to set the pump inlet back 6" in the hull, but the since the pump inlet from the zxi is 2.5" longer the pump is accually 8.5" farther back than the stock sxr pump. The steering nozzle will extend bast the back of the tray aboult 5 or 6" but I'm not too worried about that. as far as the drive shaft goes, I plan to cut a 650sx drive shaft and then machine a custom extension piece to fit in the center, then weld it back together to get the extra length I need for the super set back pump

pump swap install 2.jpgpump swap install 1.jpg

once I got the pump where I wanted it and held in place with the fixture clamps, I had to put somthing on the outside of the hull to keep the fiberglass from falling through when I glass it from the inside. I did this by using 2" pvc and some cardboard wrapped in packing tape (so the resin wont stick to it) to try and roughly match the countour of the hull where I was going to lay the glass. I then used duct tape to hold the pvc and cardboard in place, then I flipped the ski overpump swap 4.jpgpump swap 5.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information