Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SuperJETT's Avatar

Thrill-craft certification required

***for Hawaii***

Operators of so-called thrill craft will now have to be certified under new state rules for jet-propelled personal watercraft.

The Department of Land and Natural Resources certification requirement took effect in January, but the state will not enforce it until a course that covers safety and water etiquette is approved, said Richard Rice, administrator for the DLNR Small Boat Program. That is expected in about two weeks.

Read full article here

I dream skis
    A step in the right direction. But what about rentals? The real lunatics out there tend to be the tourists.
    \"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.\"
    - Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Stealth Black 2004 Polaris MSX 150
    American Watercraft Association Member

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home momarski's Avatar
    I wonder if racing licences will do!

like in japan a pro licence will keep you from having to get a real exspensive jet ski licence!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home momarski's Avatar
    that is true most jet ski deaths are attributed to rentals

I dream skis
    I can't see high volume rental shops taking the time to make sure that the numerous foriegn, read non-english speaking, tourists have the proper knowledge to safely operate PWC's. Especially when you consider the vast majority of operation will occur in the Pacific. You've gotta watch out for turtles, sharks, and that occasional coconut . Not to mention some of the biggest waves anywhere.
    \"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.\"
    - Andrew S. Tanenbaum

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SuperJETT's Avatar
    Here's the thing, rentals in Hawaii are limited to specific areas of operation, in specified directions, or at least they were when I left in '95, so it's not like someone is let go on a ski to go where they please. Surf riding is illegal pretty much, although I rode at Hickam AFB and there was a nice little break there and no law enforcement on the water.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Prem1x's Avatar
    Its a step in the right direction.
    Taste-testing premix quality since 2006
    FS: Parting out RN SS Superjet & misc Kawi/Pol

I dream skis
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJETT
    Here's the thing, rentals in Hawaii are limited to specific areas of operation, in specified directions, or at least they were when I left in '95, so it's not like someone is let go on a ski to go where they please. Surf riding is illegal pretty much, although I rode at Hickam AFB and there was a nice little break there and no law enforcement on the water.
    I knew about the specific areas of operations for rentals, but I hadn't heard of surf riding being illegal. So I looked up the regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by State of Hawaii
    Designated Ocean Recreation Management Areas (ORMA's) are established to (1) provide for increased public access; (2) reduce user conflicts; (3) promote overall public safety; and (4) avoid possible adverse impacts on humpback whales or other protected marine life (13-256-16). The designated areas also are established to control certain commercial activities to specifically designated locations and time periods as well as place limits on equipment types. Both recreational and commercial vessels may use designated areas when the permitted activity is not taking place and may cross the area at all times with caution. There are specifically designated zones assigned to qualified permittees within each ORMA. For example, commercial thrill craft may only operate in a specifically assigned location with not more than six craft in an area measuring 400 feet in diameter.

Non-designated Ocean Recreation Management Areas prohibit the commercial use of controlled ocean sports. In these areas off the islands of Kauai, Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii, recreational (i.e. non-commercial) thrill craft may operate in State waters only from 500 feet from the shore line (or outer edge of a fringing reef) to two miles off shore. Commercial or recreational use of controlled ocean sports equipment is prohibited around the islands of Lanai and Molokai. Similar rules are pending for Kahoolawe. There are no ingress/egress corridors established in non-designated Ocean Recreation Management Areas. Thus, motorized commercial vessels may not land and/or pick up passengers in these locations.
    Outer edge of the reef to 2 miles out. Right smack dab in the middle of shark central!!! Wonderful....
    - Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Re: Thrill-craft certification required

For those on Oahu who are interested/new, the next class is offered at the Windward Community College on November 22 and 23. Just attending on the 22nd gets you your basic certificate for $109. If you sign up for the two day course, it is $20 more at $129 and you get the basic certificate plus another certificate that "allows" you to ride in the waves, tow people in the waves and tow surf.

I'm enrolled in the upcoming 2-day course.

Ocean Safety Education Course only ($109) Course # J11PD386 - Saturday
    November 22nd only.

Ocean Safety Educational Course PLUS tow-in ($139) Course # (J11PD385)
    Saturday, November 22nd and Sunday, November 23rd.

Times: 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m

-Paul

Hellwoman Moderator

Re: Thrill-craft certification required

Paul,
    Don't forget to post this course as well as it is a valid NASBLA approved course of which the other isn't, NASBLA is the standard for boating education nationally:

Plus this course is only $15.00! A huge savings in costs!

The problem with the courses you are enrolled in is that they are OCEAN SAFETY courses, they have nothing to do with boating, so you still have liability concerns and need to get your basic boating education!

Also, your Hawai'ian ohana would benefit by joining the American Watercraft Association: http://www.awahq.org

http://kanalu-k38.com/pwcsafetyschool.html

PWCSafetySchool.com is a NASBLA and Hawai`i State Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation (DOBOR) approved, boater education internet course. Upon the successful completion of the PWCSafetySchool.com course you will be provided a downloadable PWCSafetySchool.com certificate of completion number.

THERE IS A THREE (3) STEP PROCESS TO COMPLETING THE ONLINE EXAM AND CERTIFICATION PROCESS

Click on the image above to access PWC Safety School, once you are on the site look for and click on "Hawaii" to access the study modules, pre-test, and final exam. Once this is completed return to this page CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW to fill out the Hawai'i Boater Education Certificate of completion form to request your certification by clicking the link below - you must submit form. Once those two (2) steps are completed look below the HBEC form where you will find a PayPal icon - click to access. Please note once you access this look for the various credit card icons listed (lower left) where you click on "continue" to finalize payment. You do not need to have an account with PayPal.

For all PWC operaters you will need this number when you submit the required form (located on HBEC page) in order to receive your KANALU K38 Hawai`i Boater Education Certificate/Card (HBEC) and identification number. This is a temporary certificate to operate your PWC. From the date of issuance you will have one(1) year to register for a KANALU K38 course. Please note - if you take any other PWC certification course not recognized by NASBLA/NSBC will null and void your certification.

For all experienced boaters (not PWC operators) this online exam meets the minimum NASBLA/NSBC requirements, but we suggest you register for an NSBC boater course if you are not familiar with national and state boating rules and regulations. All boaters please note that you must also submit your online exam completion number on our HBEC submission form to receive your Hawai'i Boater Education Certificate of Completion and card.

Click here - KANALU K38 REQUIRED "HAWAII BOATER EDUCATION CERTIFICATION" (HBEC).
    Last edited by Shawn Alladio; 10-30-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information