Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Lake Columbia - Who's been there?

I know Great Lakes Watercross did an early season ride years back at Lake Columbia. Was anybody there or has anybody been there with a Jet Ski?

F.Y.I.
    Lake Columbia is a cooling pond for a coal fired power plant that stays around 80 degrees year round. It is located near Poynette Wisconsin on the Wis River.
    Third Coast Freeride - Midwest Wave Warriors

Wooka Wooka Wookay. Let's Fing Rage!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Lake Columbia - Who's been there?

Been there. I know I've posted some pics over the years from there. Scott used to even bring a few buoys. Riding in 90 degree water when it's 45 & sunny in late feb/early march is pretty cool. When you get cold you just do a butt-drag or bury the nose of your ski to splash yourself a bit.

You can't ride there anymore.

Back when the lake was first completed (early 1970s), a local ordinance was passed that prohibited motorized boats over 5mph (or something like that) - other than maintenance boats used by the power company. However, this ordinance was never posted, and therefore not legally enforceable - until some local residents decided to do whatever they had to do to get the ordinance posted. So, last time I checked a couple years ago, there was a sign posting the ordinance right in the parking lot at the south end of the lake - so if you ride there now and a cop shows up - you will get a ticket. Sucks...

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you look at the overhead pics of the lake on google maps, you can see that it's U-shaped. The water is the hottest at the plant discharge on the upper right side. Riding near the discharge in march/feb - depending on if one or both stacks at the plant are running - could mean water temps around 100. About midway down from there, temps would be more like 85-90. At the bottom of the "U", temps would be probably 70-80. Then, as you go up the other (left) side of the lake, temps would get progressively colder.

Everythime I was there, the fishermen all hung out and fished on the cooler left side and we rode on the much warmer right side. Rumor I heard was they complained about us. Funny thing is there is no launch, so you have to cart/carry all watercraft up and down a steep and rocky hillside. All the jetskiiers would offer to (and would) assist the fishermen with their canoes/rowboats/jonboats. Now I guess they get to carry their sh!t all on their own. Their loss, if you ask me. I know we never bothered the fishermen out on the water. I suppose the people fishing from shore felt like we probably bothered them, since they fished right in the same spot where all the boats and skis were going in and out of the lake. Still sucks, especially when you figure we'd ride there maybe 3 or 4 times a year at most.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

a Local guy I met here in Madison was telling me about back in the 90s (yeah that feels weird saying that ) they'd ride Lake Columbia. He said the fisherman would try and snag their bouys and much conflict ensued....

Great information, thank you.

I will look for this ordinance. I'm interested in the lake regardless, as I am a fisherman too!

They posted the cooling pond as a no motor body of water. The township of Decorra and the local fishermen didn't like to share it for the 2 months a year we used it. It is posted, you can complain to the local bar(Hookers Resort) and see if they miss the revenue from us. They did it about 2 years ago. sucks!!!!!

You guys ruined it for the rest of us!!! Damn kids and their noise makers. Just kidding!!!!

I frequent Hooker's over the summer months when I camp on the Wisconsin River. I'll ask some locals what they're problem is

As much as I love fishing and spending days in a boat with my dad and bro, every fisherman is jealous of the guy jet skiing and they know it! :P

they're=their

Lake Columbia lies in two townships Pacific and Dekorra.

Here is the DNR link. "Purpose: to protect public health, safety and welfare" ...jah sure
    http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/La...age=ordinances

Passing of the Ordinance November 2007
    http://tn.pacific.wi.gov/ordinance/2...Motorboats.pdf

Paying for the signs, that must be posted in order for a fine to be applicable.
    http://www.tn.pacific.wi.gov/tbminut...FIC_BD_MTG.pdf

so reading the fine print and definitions I could finally build an Electric Jet Ski and take it out there.....or I can have those kids with the wrenches take the signs down.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home AC 46's Avatar

Or take the sighns down !
    R.I.P. Super Sic

Bird, what side of the city you on? I need someone to get me out to ride next year.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information