Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: 96 spx

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home jerrspud's Avatar

96 spx

I have had a hard time with this ski this year. I have had to clean the carbs out twice. The first time I taught it was because it had been a couple of years; the second time I found all this stuff.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...39#post3644739

The N/S had been replaced this year.

Last weekend, it bogged down again real bad when the wife was ridding it. After it sat for a few hours and we put it back on the trailer she said it ran fine again. I rode the ski yesterday and it stated out well and the bog got worse and worse.

My guess is the carbs are plugged again from the gas can that I used to fill up the skis. This ski got the gas can emptied into it so maybe the can had some goo in it?
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550
    pile of parts, but it's all there

Quote Originally Posted by JetDreams
    your finger is the trigger to success...

Re: 96 spx

Well time to start all over with the carbs and fix this correctly.
    2 brand new Mikuni carb kits
    2 brand new Mikuni 1.2 N/S

pulled cabs and soaked in parts dip.5/6/13

now they are so clean.. all the paint is gone :laugh:
    carb clean.jpg

rebuilt and pop off verified at 45 PSI

installed
    carbs in.jpg

5/9/13
    went for a test ride. problem seemed to be gone. road for a long time with lots of stop and go runs. The only difference I noticed was on a GPS speed test. Last year I had 49.85 MPH on Sept 16, 2012. Yesterday my top speed was 44.79 MPH. Maybe it because the VTS was adjusted to push the nose all they way done, or maybe it old gas and dirty plugs? At least it is running pretty well again. I'll play with the top speed later.

Top RPM stayed consistent at 4950, so that another good sign I'm not loosing power like I did last year.
    Last edited by jerrspud; 05-10-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home iangdesign's Avatar

This was one of my first skis! I miss it! Hope you got your bugs worked out!

You are not acting like the person Mr. Rogers knew you could be...

701 SN SJ - Spider Square

The 95 xp and 96 spx would have to be my favorite seadoos, if i was to get another couch it would be one of the 2, they are so simple yet still perform great.
    I have no filter.

Ski is stored for the season. My dad found the cause to the ski going slower. I just happened to look in the prop and found this.

6-22 rock.jpg
    Stupid rock!!

Dinged up the impeller
    6-22 prop.jpg

Ski ran much better with rock gone, but still not as fast as before. At least it's safer for the kids now

Besides VTS, no other issues with ski. Just needs a new battery for next year. I was able to get one more season out of the one in it that's dying.
    Last edited by jerrspud; 09-25-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

88 JS550

Thread Information