User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pulling a small inflatable boat behind my stx15f, instead of a HydroTrailer?

i am contemplating on pulling a small inflatable boat behind my 3 seater. we need something to lug around our gas cans, equipment and gear when we head out with our stand ups. we would only pull the the inflatable boat in the bay about 1/4 mile from our boat ramp/launch site over to our riding spot. our spot is on the bay, near shore about 100 feet out. these are no wake zones, so choppy water is not really an issue. any opinions or suggestions, pics? another concern is that i am not sure if i will need to register this "vessel" since its only being pulled behind and i dont see a hydrotrailer being registered here in FL as a vessel either. Not sure, someone chime in. I am doing all this to avoid spending a near $700 bucks on a hydrotrailer.

Re: pulling a small inflatable boat behind my stx15f, instead of a HydroTrailer?

Check with your FL boat rules makers, they will know. Since it is not a powered vessel, in the states whose waterways I use, it would not need to be registered except possibly to launch at PA fish commission controlled ramps. You will likely spill some fuel on the inflatable fabric, maybe pooling inside the boat. That might attack the fabric with frequent enough exposure.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: pulling a small inflatable boat behind my stx15f, instead of a HydroTrailer?

Airhead used to make a towable specifically for that purpose-- i used to have one. Not sure if they're made anymore but it worked well.

Here's a link to see what they looked like--

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/pa...e-shuttle-tube

Man of Steel PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home davidw's Avatar

Just do it. I do it all the time.

Frequent Poster

I've been kicking around getting a small boat to do the same thing. We launch at a state park on the lake then ride about a mile to a beach we like to ride at. I want to be able to carry gas for my standup, my waterskis, chairs, maybe even a pop up shade. I considered an inflatable also but I'm leaning towards a 10 foot aluminum flat bottom boat for durability reasons. First, it will be easier to make a hitch setup to keep the towed boat tracking correctly behind the PWC. Second, no worries about chemicals attacking the fabric of a blowup. Third, what if you get all the way to your ride spot with lots of gear then when it's time to leave you find your inflatable has a bad leak and is no longer usable. Fourth, a flatbottom aluminum only weighs about 80 lbs and you don't have to take the time to inflate it plus you won't need an air pump. Fifth, I think an aluminum flatbottom will track better than an inflatable.

Only problem, I'm afraid of looking like migrants or hillbillies pulling a boat full of stuff. LOL

BTW, I checked with Texas Parks and Wildlife and they said I'd need to register the towed boat. Not sure what you will need to do in FL.
    Last edited by bikerdib; 09-11-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    '16 Seadoo GTX155 / depth finder and ski mode module added
    '17 Kawasaki SXR 1500

Blog Entries

Imho, you cannot beat a pontoon!
    we take ours out every trip and its nice to have the shade and seats and table for lunch
    also plenty of room for girls to lay out
    plenty of room for gas and coolers
    place to tie up floats and skis
    and a place to tear into the vintage ski WHEN it breaks down LOL
    and it can tow the ski back if need be

plus we also haul buoys out to race around
    the boat has a radio too

it just makes a full day at the lake much more enjoyable

like you, we launch less than a quarter mile from "our spot" so one tank in the boat lasts half the summer... once you have it, its not that much more money to take it

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdib View Post
    BTW, I checked with Texas Parks and Wildlife and they said I'd need to register the towed boat. Not sure what you will need to do in FL.
    Huh? From the Texas PWD web site http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/fish...on_and_titles/:

Do I need to register my boat?

Yes. The following vessels (when on Texas public water) are required by law to have current registration. This includes vessels that are docked or moored:

•All motorized boats, regardless of length (motorized boats include boats propelled by a trolling motor); and
    •All sailboats 14 feet in length or longer or any sailboat with an auxiliary engine(s); and
    •USCG Documented vessels.

Exempted vessels — All (non-motorized) canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, or rubber rafts (regardless of length) when paddled, poled, or oared; sailboats under 14 feet in length when windblown; USCG documented commercial vessels used in coastal shipping; and USCG documented vessels exceeding 115 feet in length.

Apparently just about any rowboat or even a big jon boat doesn't need registration. Somebody at TPWD doesn't know what they are talking about. If someone really wants to read the provisions of the law, then it is covered in Parks and Wildlife Code, Title 4. Water Safety, Chapter 31. Water Safety.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

I had a similiar raft to the AirHead model. But it was more like a raft with a durable poly skin. I don't remember the name. We used it to haul gas cans, EZ Up canopy, large ice chest with food, drinks, ice, chairs and whatever else up river for several miles to "our" cove where we played all day until the sun went down.

When it was time to head back to the ramp. There were no problems with it losing air.

We used that raft for several riding seasons and family members used it for floating around in the cove.

Also no registration needed.
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-12-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed...

Then you're NOT Chuck Norris!

PWCToday Newbie

i used to have one. Not sure if they're made anymore but it worked well.
    We are the pioneers in providing pass4sure crack and SAP exams with 100% exam pass guarantee. Download our latest Columbia University and examsheets ccna or pass real exam of wikipedia .

Quote Originally Posted by ewagman View Post
    Check with your FL boat rules makers, they will know. Since it is not a powered vessel, in the states whose waterways I use, it would not need to be registered except possibly to launch at PA fish commission controlled ramps. You will likely spill some fuel on the inflatable fabric, maybe pooling inside the boat. That might attack the fabric with frequent enough exposure.
    I agree Check with your FL boat rules makers, they will know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information