Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1996 GTI - need help ID'ing Engine

I acquired a 1996 GTI which I've set up for fishing (fish finder, rocket tubes, rod holders, tackle box, etc) and the GTI size and stability works great for this. I fish the California Delta and we have species from panfish up to stripped Bass, salmon and Sturgeon. The ski makes a great bass busting platform. you can troll or drift fish.

I finished the retro about 2 months ago, and I've had the ski out about 6 weekends, this past being the most current. Up to the past weekend I've run the Ski at slower speeds, around 15-20 mph's

While cruising from "Hotspot 1" to "Hotspot 2" I acceletated up to a high speed and was cruising along nicely maybe for 5 minutes, (first time highspeed run since getting ski) when the engine shut down and I was "Gliding" along . It felt like the engine ran out of gas (tank was full). When I tried to restart the battery wouldn't crank the engine over on the first or second try, it felt like a low battery charge, I waited a moment then switched the gas selector to reserve, primed it, hit the switch and it started running. After running at low speed for awhile I switched back to main gas and the ski ran well at lower speeds. When I accelerated back to a high speed I had a repeat of the stall.

When I got home I pulled out the SeaDoo shop manual, checked the forums for similar problems and got a few Ideas on what the problem might be.

This is where it gets interesting. I wanted to find out exactly which model GTI I had (for parts ordering), following the manual I checked for the ID's. The tag on the left rear of the Ski had no 4 digit code (5865, 5866, 5867). I then checked the engine looking for a tag on the upper side of the magneto and there was none, instead I found it on top of the Magneto and it read Rotax model 657X

According to several websites and the manual, The GTI was never built with a 657X. Also the 657's were phased out entirely in 1996. Checking into it more it looks like the engine is factory mounted so I am guessing someone hadn't dropped in a different engine. (don't think a 657X would mate in place of a 717 on a GTI) Also, My understanding is the 657X was only used in 94 -XP's and 95 SPX and GTX models.

Is there some visual distinctions between a 657X and a 717 block that I can use to ID the engine and if so what is it? I believe the 657's have an elbow fitting on the head, located on the Right Hand Top & the 717's do not? My head does not have the elbow. The Ski has DESS.

Meanwhile I am trying to guess possible senarios on what I have, maybe a switched out Mag housing? But the exhaust is a 657 style too. Maybe someone in the past dropped in smaller engine (naw) or a Pre-Prod Factory Built (the missing 4 digit code plays into this), or?

I've attached some pic's for ref, looking for ideas and comments on resolving what engine I've got. Need to get this resolved quickly, thanks for your help in advance..

Best regards
    BassBuster
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 1996 GTI - need help ID'ing Engine

First problem is you are siezing the engine. The pistons will expand faster than the cylinders and stick. Wait a minute, and the pistons cool allowing it to move again. You need to completely go through the fuel system. The GTI was a 720 single carb setup. All 657x's were twin carb. It is possible someone swapped the mag housing, or engine. If it is twin carb, I would suspect the engine has been swapped. 587's, 657's and 717's will all bolt right in. There is only a 5 hp difference between the 2, so I wouldn't worry about it. I would however address the siezing engine.
    Last edited by wire4money; 09-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for your comments

The engine has twin carbs. I'll see if I can get the part numbers off them.

I did a quick read of my shop manual fuel section, sounds like I may be running lean, (causes overheating, seizing, running out of gas feeling) I'll do a complete read this morning.

My concern is what settings to use on the carbs and for the complete engine. Since I am not sure what engine I've got do I go with the suggested settings for the BN40's (657) or the BN38's (717)? How about the rest of the ignition system settings?

Should I be heading down with my ski to my local shop for advice? The ski has had 3 previous owners, all family types, so I'd suspect they wern't into wrenching.

If anyone can offer up visual differences between the 2 engines, I'd love to hear from you..

BassBuster

Pull the head - it's o ringed, so you lose nothing. You can then measure the bore to determine what you have. I think you will also see the cylinders and pistons will be scored badly from running the engine lean. Do a search on Seadoo grey fuel lines. There will be enough to read for years. You need to COMPLETELY overhaul the ENTIRE fuel system. Then you can put a new top end in, and enjoy it for years.

PWCToday Newbie

I know this is an old post, but I was also trying to find the same answer as I was looking at a parts diagram. This is what I found. I'm not sure what the touring seat is, but this may help someone.

MODEL NAME MODEL
    NO.

SP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5876
    SPX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5877
    SPI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5878
    XP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5858
    XP (P.D.I. Ready) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5859
    GSX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5620
    GTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5817
    GTI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5865
    GTI (Touring Seat) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5866
    GTI (single carb) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5867
    GTX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5640
    HX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5881

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Touring Seat is humped up higher for the rear passenger, not completely flat like the standard seat.
    '96 was the first year for the GTi, it is also the only GTi with first gen hull and twin carbs. '97 went to the second gen hull and single carb.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Chương trình bán h*ng đặc biệt:
    - Hỗ trợ vay vốn 80%, lãi suất 0% đến khi b*n giao nh*.
    - Ân hạn nợ gốc 12 tháng.
    - Miễn ph* 1 năm v*n h*nh quản lý tòa nh* bởi đơn vị quản lý uy t*n PMC.
    Với giá bán chỉ từ 34 triệu/m2 (đã gồm VAT v* full nội thất cao cấp), dự án 6th element đang trở th*nh dự án hot nhất thị trường đầu năm 2018 tại khu vực Tây Hồ Tây bởi cơ hội an cư v* đầu tư sinh lời bền vững, mang lại niềm hạnh phúc trọn vẹn cho bất kì ai sở hữu v* t*n hưởng.
    Mỗi căn hộ dự án 6th element với 55 tiện *ch khép k*n bao gồm: Bể bơi vô cực, phòng đọc sách, hầm rượu Sky Bar, trường mầm non, vườn dạo bộ sẽ mang đến nguồn sinh kh* phú như Đông Hải, phúc tựa Thiên Sơn cho các chủ nhân khởi đầu tốt l*nh nhất.
    chung cư 6th element b*n giao FULL nội thất của các thương hiệu nổi tiếng như: Khóa Hafele 3 chức năng, c*a k*nh 3 lớp Euro Window, tủ bếp, tủ quần áo, s*n gỗ (nh*p khẩu bởi Đông Dương), thiết bị vệ sinh Kohler & Grohe (Nh*p khẩu Thái Lan v* Đức), Phụ kiện bếp (Italia), điều hòa 2 chiều nóng lanh, thang máy Mitsubishi.
    + Liên kết vùng thu*n lợi: KĐT Ciputra, KĐT Ngoại Giao Đo*n, KĐT Tây Hồ Tây...
    + Tiếp giáp 2 trục đường ch*nh: Nguyễn Văn Huyên kéo d*i v* đường 40m.
    + Với T*p đo*n Bắc H*, đã có h*ng loạt các dự án lớn (đường Lê Văn Lương kéo d*i) đã đi v*o hoạt động rất th*nh công: HH2, C14, C37.
    + Thiết kế căn hộ thông minh v* linh hoạt:
    * Căn 1 PN (DT: 59.8m2): th*ch hợp với gia đình trẻ.
    * Căn 2 PN (DT: 82-87m2): th*ch hợp với gia đình có 2 thế hệ.
    * Căn 3 PN (DT: 109m2): Phù hợp với gia đình có 3 thế hệ.
    + Tiềm năng tăng giá v* cho thuê l* khả thi:
    * L* nơi t*p trung nhiều Đại sứ quán, 5 sở v* 8 bộ.
    * Hạ tầng tất cả khu vực đang được ho*n thiện: Khu Đô thị Ciputra, KĐT Ngoại Giao Đo*n, StarLake...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Chester's Avatar

Your engine is a 717. The 717 has two 12.5mm hoses attached to the rear of the head. The 657 has one 12.5mm hose and one 20mm hose.

Chester
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

Couches:

96 XP
    86 X2

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    your engine is a 717. The 717 has two 12.5mm hoses attached to the rear of the head. The 657 has one 12.5mm hose and one 20mm hose.

Chester

Thread Information