Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home iflyems's Avatar

Another preventable death on Lake Havasu

http://www.havasunews.com/news/man-drowns-at-copper-canyon-after-jumping-off-cliff/article_c655e5ae-f3f0-11e1-85b3-0019bb2963f4.html

A man in his mid-30s drown early Friday evening after jumping off of a cliff in Copper Canyon, Lake Havasu City fire and San Bernardino County Sheriff’s officials confirmed Friday.

The man surfaced briefly and then went under, said Tim Smith a marine enforcement officer with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office. A citizen nearby with scuba gear dove in and found the man, Smith said. But the man was unable to be revived, said fire Battalion Chief James Whitt.

Fire and sheriff’s officials from San Bernardino and Mohave counties responded to the call for someone that jumped off the cliff and didn’t resurface at 4:59 p.m. The body was recovered by the citizen at about 5:11 p.m.
    The unresponsive man was put into a Mohave County Sheriff’s boat and transferred onto the fire department’s boat where resuscitation efforts started, Whitt said. But the efforts weren’t successful, he said. The man was taken to Havasu Regional Medical Center where he was determined to have passed away, he said.
    Whitt said he didn’t notice at the scene that the man had experienced any sort of trauma.
    A city police boat, Mohave County Sheriff’s boat and a fire department boat were used in the response.
    Release of the man’s name was pending notification of the next of kin.
    It used to be, that on big holiday weekends, Copper Canyon was closed-that changed I guess a few years ago.
    Good thing that once again, there was someone there with diving gear, and was able to quickly pull the guy out. Didn't matter, he still died.

What is it about Alcohol that makes people think it's a good idea to jump off rocks 30+ feet above the water?
    And, the weekend has only just begun.

The only way to stop this senseless loss of life, is to close Copper Canyon on Holiday Weekends. And that's just not right-people should be able to enjoy that peaceful/beautiful place. It's a great place to anchor and just hang out. But, if people continue to jump off the rocks-well, you will probably see it closed, which means you'll need to cruise further South to Steamboat Cover to hang out.
    By my count, I think this is death number 3 this year from jumping off the rocks at Copper Canyon.
    Check out my YouTube page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/havasuphoto

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home MrSki's Avatar

Re: Another preventable death on Lake Havasu

Very unfortunate for him and his family. However, this is exaclty why I am at home this weekend and stying far away from the lakes.
    1993 Laser Jet F15 - Mild port to PJS Cylinder.
    1992 550 SX - R&R port Kawi Reed, Kind of fast.
    1989 JS 550 - PJS motor Dual 46's, 50 MPH on GPS.
    1989 Wet Jet - Upgraded 1994 50 HP motor & exhaust.
    1986 JS 550 - Engine built. Working on fiberglass!
    1976 JS 400 - Pretty much just a shell.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home iflyems's Avatar

Re: Another preventable death on Lake Havasu

Quote Originally Posted by MrSki View Post
    Very unfortunate for him and his family. However, this is exaclty why I am at home this weekend and stying far away from the lakes.
    Me too.....although I can clearly see the Lake from my house, and it's just a mass of boats all heading out to do whatever it is they do on a big holiday weekend. It's literally a "sea of boats", that just starts all heading South-the part that I can see.
    I've been on the lake once, on a holiday weekend....my neck was so sore from having to look around to keep from getting hit by these 100mph boats-I called it quits after about an hour. Took another 2 hours to get my car/trailer into the water to retrieve my Doo. Oh, and it took me just over an hour in line, to launch!!!!
    Check out my YouTube page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/havasuphoto

Thread Information