• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Snuffy
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Mar 2007

Re: 2010 Wake Pro Ski needs hull work

Bill,
    Got a lot of info today to tell you about. I changed the oil n filter again today. I really hope that change of oil keeps the oil clean.

I drained the fuel from the ski today and man it looked and smelled terrible. It looked like fuel you would purchase in the 1970's to mow yards meaning it looked like a golden motor oil color not a clear color like today's gasoline at the pumps. No wonder it is tripping the knock sensor. It smelled old very old. My buddy purchased the ski from said he filled the ski up 1 time before crashing it. He had filled it up with fuel on the water at a local marina. He had actually had it 2 weeks then crashed it. I will refill the fuel with new fuel and add 1oz of sea foam per gallon as directions said unless you think differently??

The Sea Doo mechanic also has the ability to wipe the codes clean at a nominal fee on the ski which I was very happy to hear. He had me check the supercharger since the ski wouldn't hardly go past 50 mph. He also wants me to change the spark plugs. When I initially pulled the plugs to look at them they were gaped like 45 thousands just looking at them they also had like a black powder color I thought they looked like they were running very rich. I reduced the gap to around 28 thousands and when I pulled them today they looked normal but I am going to change them he thinks one might be missing as I do as-well. I want to know what type plug and gap do you recommend for that engine????? or should I use the ngk plug that came in it ( I got the type written down in shed off old plug)??

I went to see the Sea Doo mechanic today. He was very nice and I was very lucky to get to talk to him today for like 20 minutes. He had me check the turbo to make sure it wasn't spinning freely by hand since the ski had filled up with water and top speed of like 50mph was all I could get out of it. If the supercharger had been free spinning he let me know that it would have to be rebuilt and the engine cleaned out and man that was expensive. I was so thankful that the supercharger didn't get damaged when the ski filled up with water.

He also confirmed that he didn't think the ski would run if the TOPS sending unit was bad. I also checked the engine temp sending units today. The one on the water box checked well like 2200 ohms. The one on the engine checked around 4,250 ohms I will order one of them today and change it.

I am hoping the temp sending unit and new fuel will keep the check engine light from tripping. If it does I will then go and have the Sea Doo mechanic clear all codes. He thought that would be best to try and stop the check engine light from tripping then clear codes since we know what the codes are and for.

I am in no way a Sea Doo expert.

I really appreciate your help!!

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Snuffy; 10-24-2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Watercraft Magic
      Tech Guru
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Feb 2004

Old fuel is bad fuel and needs to go for sure. I'd run fresh 91 octane (or better) only. Also, I'd strongly recommend replacing the fuel filter at the bottom of the fuel pump in the tank. It's only a $27 part or so. At that time, you'll be able to look in the tank for water or other debris and swab it out accordingly. And SeaFoam is very good stuff. I'd mix it like the directions say and don't be afraid to use it often. It can work like magic with dirty fuel lines or injectors or with water in the fuel system etc. The OEM spark plugs are what you should run - DCPR8E gapped at 0.030" which is how they (should) come out of the box. The fact that your supercharger isn't spinning freely is nice. But it doesn't necessarily mean that it's building boost. The poor mans test for that is to rev the ski up on the trailer while squeezing the U-shaped hose that comes out of the SC. If it blows your squeezed hand open, it's at least building some amount of boost. And of course clearing codes is smart and helpful when chasing problems. But I think you're on the right track.
      email Chris at Watercraft Magic [email protected]

Comment

• Joe Snuffy
        PWCToday Newbie
        • Mar 2007

Bill,
        Thanks for the help and knowledge. I will let you know how things work out. I will change the fuel filter/check tank as you recommended I sure don't want dirt to enter an injector/injector pump etc. I will also put the new plugs you recommend in the boat and check the gap on each one before I put it in. The DCPR8E are the plugs that came out of the boat so that's a good at least they were correct just gaped wrong. Once I get everything done I will check the boost also as you described. When I had it on the lake I could hear a very faint whistle at idle like the old deuce and a half's we had in the military you could hear them whistling long before you saw them. I hope that means its building boost. Once I get all the things done I will take it and have the codes wiped I can test it right by the Sea Doo mechanics garage their is a public boat ramp about 100 yds from him.

Thanks for the help,
        Joe
        Last edited by Joe Snuffy; 10-26-2013, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Joe Snuffy
          PWCToday Newbie
          • Mar 2007

I had forgotten to post back that the ski is fixed. I rode it all last summer and this summer and it has worked as it should. What I did was I had accidentally wired 2 sending units backwards. The mechanic figured it out. I didn't know you could do such a thing but you can. I should have used more care labeling which sending unit each plug goes to. I was told they are color codded but I didn't know that either. Anyway just thought I would end this post and let everyone know that the ski is fixed and runs and performs like a new one for the past 2 seasons. Thanks to everyone here especially Bill.

Joe
          Last edited by Joe Snuffy; 08-15-2015, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Watercraft Magic
            Tech Guru
            PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
            • Feb 2004

That is good to hear. And, yes, labeling can be a big time saver down the road. And so can taking pics from lots of angles before (and during) disassembly.
            email Chris at Watercraft Magic [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X