• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • catpower
    PWCToday Newbie
    • May 2008

squish on 701

I check my squish and found .038" on mag and .033" on pto. The squish area extends about 7/16" of an area. I've been told .040" or less would lead to a blown motor. If so do I need to cut my domes? Oh and my o-rings above dome in water circuit is melting.
  • Gab3
    PWCToday Regular
    • Jun 2012

Re: squish on 701

Im not quite sure what this thread is talking about, but want to know cuz i put a 701 head on a 760 cylinder and crank. What am i supposed to check and where?
    1994 wb1, 64x 760, ADA head, factory pipe, single sbn44.
    1991 X2, 650, WSM top end kit, WF head ep7030 domes, factory pipe, single sbn44.

Comment

• catpower
      PWCToday Newbie
      • May 2008

Wow almost forgot I posted this, but anyway. A 701 head on a 760 cylinder? Squish and or compression issues maybe. Use rosin core electric solder ( radio shack ) stuff. Easiest but not the most 100% accurate way is to feed the solder through spark plug hole with piston just below top dead center. push solder to edge of cylinder wall and manually rotate crankshaft to crush solder. this will tell you the distance between the top of piston and head dome. angle of squish also important. .030" is tight but can't get anyone to answer my ? above .060" allows for head to be shave some. How much? I'd like to know. also depends on bore size porting etc etc. Anyone?

Comment

• Gab3
        PWCToday Regular
        • Jun 2012

I put the 701 head on the 760 cyl so that my exhaust mounting wont be all jacked up. Long story, im gonna try this test tomorrow i think. Might have to get my head domes cut huh? I'll check and repost. I did however check my compression and they were 120/125. I thought it was kinda low, but im not experienced so, i just went with it.
        1994 wb1, 64x 760, ADA head, factory pipe, single sbn44.
        1991 X2, 650, WSM top end kit, WF head ep7030 domes, factory pipe, single sbn44.

Comment

• duckman1
          Top Dog
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by catpower View Post
          I check my squish and found .038" on mag and .033" on pto. The squish area extends about 7/16" of an area. I've been told .040" or less would lead to a blown motor. If so do I need to cut my domes? Oh and my o-rings above dome in water circuit is melting.
          That is really tight and would cause the excess heat buildup due to pre-ignition, thus prolly causing your o-rings to melt. You would be safer with upper 40's for squish and run good fuel, skip the ethanol at the pump. Also would be nice to know your other mods to give a more accurate answer.

Where are you located at in Iowa?

Steve
          Last edited by duckman1; 08-25-2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• catpower
            PWCToday Newbie
            • May 2008

Hey Steve I pm you. I'm in Des Moines. Ya 96 octane no corn whiskey.

Comment

• duckman1
              Top Dog
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by catpower View Post
              Hey Steve I pm you. I'm in Des Moines. Ya 96 octane no corn whiskey.
              PM returned!

Comment

Working...
              X