• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve dolar
    PWCToday Regular
    • Sep 2011

steering problem with ocean pro nozzle setup on 1990 X2

Hi;
    I have a 190 X2 that has a ocean pro steering nozzle setup on it. It did used to turn decent with the stock steering stem. I just recently put on a UMI steering setup on it. I cannot turn very sharp at all.
    Things I have tried with the help of a jet ski mechanic.
    tried 3 different lower steering stem arms long ,med,short etc. ( not much difference)
    shortened steering cable a little bit to try to get a full throw. ( reached the point of can not trim any more)
    The mechanic said that I am losing turn radius because there is slop in the ocean pro pivot points on the steering nozzle assy. can this be repaired or can I buy a new one? Do they make one that has multiple places to put the steering cable knuckle fitting like a PJS? I like the nozzle please let me know what else I can try as I do not want to go back to a stock nozzle.

Thank you
    Steve
  • JonnyX2
    Attention *****
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jun 2006

Re: steering problem with ocean pro nozzle setup on 1990 X2

Steve post this in the X2 section also. I think that some of the 1990 models had "direct steering" which causes lazy steering. It is especially a problem with higher performance engines and aggressive nozzles, etc... There are fixes for this problem that will help you regain steering control, if that is in fact what you have.
    Originally posted by Firebird A/C&Heating
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Originally posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Comment

• steve dolar
      PWCToday Regular
      • Sep 2011

Thanks Johnny;
      I did post this in the X2 section of vintage skis I hope that I can get some good help on figuring this out. I really love that ski when it works right!

Comment

• GreyGoose
        Top Dog
        • Aug 2005

I had the same problem my first time out. Here is what I posted on how to fix it. I know the search doesnt work on this site anymore.
        Found a cheap, easy solution to the x-2 direct steer bending. It was terrible my first time out on my 1989 x-2. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00. $11 for a 12" piece. Then just slip a short piece of 1/4 hose inside the stainless tube to make it fit tightly around the small inner steering rod. The thin wall clear stuff from home depot fits perfect. Then you got a heavy duty fix for $11.07 with free shipping. It will actually turn left!
        Last edited by GreyGoose; 08-20-2012, 12:26 AM.
        Sent from my brick phone.

Comment

• hooka-2
          Top Dog
          • Nov 2005

You need to put a JRE 1 inch spacer between the nozzle and the pump. I just installed an Ocean Pro nozzle on one of my X2s and could not get the steering right. I added the spacer (kind of expensive) but works just like the PJS rip turn on my other X2's now. I get full throw both directions and handlebars centered when I go straight.
          90 X2 (750), 92 X2 (750), 93 X2 (750),93 X2 (750), 99 Ultra 150(sold) 1995 Waveblaster 1

Comment

Working...
          X