User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

error code 45... solved

Hey everyone, just wanted to share a solution. I've been chasing my tail on this for most of this season so it was an elusive one.

I was getting a error thrown on our '02 F-12X about 50% of the time I ran WOT. BUT, if I ran just shy of full throttle, say 5500rpm, it would run quite happily all day long. I pulled the code and it was 4 long and 5 short.. error 45. Basically it's talking about the MAP sensor mounted on the valve cover.

Well, changing it didn't solve anything and I went down the usual list of suspects such as the hoses, WGS, and regulator pill. I replaced the WGS just for the fun, along with a couple other sensors that where old enough to vote. Nothing solved it.

Today I'm pretty sure that I found the answer! I decided to just start taking things apart down to the intake manifold, as I've been wanting to change out the injectors anyways. Once I got the intake manifold off, there it was staring me in the face.

The #3 O-Ring that seals the manifold to the head was ripped!

My guess is that it held enough pressure up until just shy of full throttle, keeping the ecu happy. but knowing our boost map, as soon as you get to pin the throttle the boost pressures jump and the leak must of been enough to make the ECU think that the MAP sensor had failed.

I spent the whole day working on the ski, from replacing these o-rings all the way to re-shimming the exhaust valves. Hopefully next weekend I'll get to confirm my results.
    Last edited by creator; 07-08-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Robert Stellhorn #811 -- Retired from Racing for the moment
    DJSA Staff Member
    '89 Yamaha SuperJet Square Nose, ready to put the hurt on anyone, anytime
    '02 Honda F-12X with more hours on it than i can count
    '03 Honda R-12X (most of it anyways) waiting in "mothball fleet" status

Re: error code 45... solved

Always good to hear a susses story sometime the hard faults turn out to be something stupid you never think of but when you tell some one they offcourse good detective work
    Regards Xdrian

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let us know the results.
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Thanks for sharing. Something for me to remember if I run into this issue. Good find!
    The List

2005 Aquatrax F-12X (Macsboost Module, Torxracing IC, Custom Air Intake)
    2002 Aquatrax F-12X (Macsboost Module, Torxracing IC, 17/29 Solas, Plenum spacer, Custom Air Intake, Velocity Stack Insert)

Quote Originally Posted by creator View Post
    Hopefully next weekend I'll get to confirm my results.
    update??
    First ride on my R-12X 5/22/03

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by creator View Post
    Hey everyone, just wanted to share a solution. I've been chasing my tail on this for most of this season so it was an elusive one.

I was getting a error thrown on our '02 F-12X about 50% of the time I ran WOT. BUT, if I ran just shy of full throttle, say 5500rpm, it would run quite happily all day long. I pulled the code and it was 4 long and 5 short.. error 45. Basically it's talking about the MAP sensor mounted on the valve cover.

Well, changing it didn't solve anything and I went down the usual list of suspects such as the hoses, WGS, and regulator pill. I replaced the WGS just for the fun, along with a couple other sensors that where old enough to vote. Nothing solved it.

Today I'm pretty sure that I found the answer! I decided to just start taking things apart down to the intake manifold, as I've been wanting to change out the injectors anyways. Once I got the intake manifold off, there it was staring me in the face.

The #3 O-Ring that seals the manifold to the head was ripped!

My guess is that it held enough pressure up until just shy of full throttle, keeping the ecu happy. but knowing our boost map, as soon as you get to pin the throttle the boost pressures jump and the leak must of been enough to make the ECU think that the MAP sensor had failed.

I spent the whole day working on the ski, from replacing these o-rings all the way to re-shimming the exhaust valves. Hopefully next weekend I'll get to confirm my results.
    any update?

Thread Information