Largest PWC

Superstore

Collapse

33 hours on f12x spark plugs... good / bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheWolf
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Aug 2007

33 hours on f12x spark plugs... good / bad?

One of my f12x's started missing a bit this season. A good 'italian tune up' improved it somewhat while new plugs were en route, but it would still miss at idle regularly. Replaced the plugs in both skis and they are purring like turbo-charged kittens again. The plugs were golden brown.

They both had 32-33 hours on them. Just curious what kind of hours others are seeing out of their plugs before replacing...

Thanks!
  • CelticCrew
    Resident Guru
    • Jul 2009

Re: 33 hours on f12x spark plugs... good / bad?

Iridium plugs foul easily in my opinion. They can last a long time if taken care of - sometimes up to 200 hours.

I do not do quick starts with these plugs. I have had a few sets foul and I think it is do to quick starts (i.e. running it for 10 seconds or so). Some people will debate this but I've bought enough plugs to justify not doing this anymore. If I want to run it I run it on the hose for atleast 10 minutes so I'm guaranteed the plugs go through the enrichment cycle and do not foul.

Another opinion I have is winterization techniques. I no longer put any oil in each cylinder during my winterization routine. Yes the manual says to do this but I think I foul plugs when I do this on the first start up the following season. This is probably debatable too but since I've had to change two sets of plugs at the beginning of the season on two different aquatrax models I will no longer do this anymore.

My 2 cents...
    The List

2005 Aquatrax F-12X (Macsboost Module, Torxracing IC, Custom Air Intake)
    2002 Aquatrax F-12X (Macsboost Module, Torxracing IC, 17/29 Solas, Plenum spacer, Custom Air Intake, Velocity Stack Insert)

Comment

• sonic77
      PWCToday Regular
      • Jan 2007

I agree im not putting oil in my cyl this year both of my skis were missing this year and new plugs seemed to fix it the other day before i changed the plugs i got a warning light and my ski went into limp mode it was either the spark plug miss or the hot water i was in im not sure but it was fine after about a min i still noticed a miss at idle hours later so i changed the plugs and it went away hopefully shes good to go now im at about 260 hrs second set of plugs now and on the non turbo 160 hrs plugs just changed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• jlfx car audio
        I dream skis
        • Feb 2011

Put a set of plugs in my modded ski at about 65 hers now I'm at 130hrs on same plugs need to pull them and inspect but I have just been enjoying it way too much .
        05 R12x 142hrs w/ ic upgrade,strait pipe ,stock prop and boost 6380rpm @66.2mph
        09 F15x 39hrs .

Comment

• abmobil
          PWCToday Guru
          • Mar 2007

My current plugs have about 220 hours on them ,and its running fine. I will change them again after I drop it off at the dealer this winter for a valve adjustment cause they will def foul when they run it for the short period on the trailer.

After the first year of owning the ski I always did a quick test start on the trailer before going to the lake. That is when it started fouling them. Now I wont start it ,but I will tap the start button to make sure it will turn over before leaving.
          Doing those quick test starts can foul new plugs in 20 hours or less depending on how frequently it is done.

I also ride at least once a month in the winter so I don't bother with adding oil to the cyls.
          Last edited by abmobil; 07-09-2012, 09:45 PM.
          2006 Honda R12X----600+ hours
          Macsboost Module/ Torque Solution Intercooler

2014 Sea-Doo RXP-X
          Stock

Comment

• caflashbob
            Frequent Poster
            • Jan 2007

The resistors fail in the plug. Easy fix. The tool kit under the seat changes the plugs. That's the only repair these ever seem to need. So they gave you the tools.

Bob
            02 f-12x gone but missed
            03 gtx sc sold went to Australia
            08 f-15x stock
            08 f-15x macboost stg 2
            FE 3D galcoated trailer

Comment

• sonic77
              PWCToday Regular
              • Jan 2007

Have you ever changed the plugs wit the tools under the seat ya it sucks i carry a trailer tire change tool and a socket set in my truck just in case you never know

Comment

• caflashbob
                Frequent Poster
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by sonic77 View Post
                Have you ever changed the plugs wit the tools under the seat ya it sucks i carry a trailer tire change tool and a socket set in my truck just in case you never know
                Sure it sucks. Did I use those tools? No. I build KTM dirt bike engines and used my pro tools and torque wrench and xtensions and magnets instead. BUT in the middle of lake Powell for example next month they WILL work. Not even bringing a tool box other than a spare set of plugs.
                02 f-12x gone but missed
                03 gtx sc sold went to Australia
                08 f-15x stock
                08 f-15x macboost stg 2
                FE 3D galcoated trailer

Comment

• xdrian
                  I dream skis
                  • Mar 2006

Service manual say change @200 hrs plugs got that out of mine.
                  If they last that long change them then you know you have a good set for trouble shotting in the future
                  Regards Xdrian

Comment

Working...
                  X