pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

spark plugs --- heat range (how hot the plug )

here is some thing I found ...
    I was trying to get a straight answer about which is a hotter plug a br8 or br7
    they suggest a ngk br7es .. well acording to bellow thats a hot plug ..
    may have contrubuted to pringnition on my x2
    I use br8es on my 650sx and my x2 both have aftermarket exhaust
    does anyone know what a br8es 11 is compared to just a br8es?

here is what i found that explains why some say the highr 3s are coller .. seems the standard is screwed !

The heat range numbers used by spark plug manufacturers are not universal, by that we mean, a 10 heat range in Champion is not the same as a 10 heat range in NGK nor the same in Autolite. Some manufacturers numbering systems are opposite the other, for domestic manufacturers (Champion, Autolite, Splitfire), the higher the number, the hotter the plug. For Japanese manufacturers (NGK, Denso), the higher the number, the colder the plug.
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

I have Jetmate for sale with or without engine , Hamilton Ontario ,, pm for details

Tech Guru resident guru

Re: spark plugs --- heat range (how hot the plug )

The following is copied from the Group K website:

About Spark Plugs – Unlike most other pwcs, the GPR/XL has very high output ignition capable of firing a spark across a .044� plug gap. This larger plug gap is a big asset to the performance of this engine. The spark plugs used in the GPR/XL are a NGK BR8ES-11. These plugs are the same as the more common BR8ES in every way … but one. These “11� series plugs have a ground electrode with a different radius bend that allows for an accurate .044� gap. If you try to gap a conventional BR8ES to .044�, the ground post will be bent in a way that does not allow for consistent firing. If you have a GPR/XL, use the “11� series plugs gapped to .044�.

In short, the "11" series plugs are not for your 650.... but the NGK "8" heat range plugs are the best choice (BR8ES are the prefered "resistor type plug for your 650)
    Respectfully, Harry Klemm

Quote Originally Posted by ang4th
    here is some thing I found ...
    I was trying to get a straight answer about which is a hotter plug a br8 or br7
    they suggest a ngk br7es .. well acording to bellow thats a hot plug ..
    may have contrubuted to pringnition on my x2
    I use br8es on my 650sx and my x2 both have aftermarket exhaust
    does anyone know what a br8es 11 is compared to just a br8es?

here is what i found that explains why some say the highr 3s are coller .. seems the standard is screwed !

The heat range numbers used by spark plug manufacturers are not universal, by that we mean, a 10 heat range in Champion is not the same as a 10 heat range in NGK nor the same in Autolite. Some manufacturers numbering systems are opposite the other, for domestic manufacturers (Champion, Autolite, Splitfire), the higher the number, the hotter the plug. For Japanese manufacturers (NGK, Denso), the higher the number, the colder the plug.
    Unless otherwise stated, responses to all forum posts are based on my personal experiences working within the PWC industry, and developing high performance PWCs since 1987.

www.groupk.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar
    IMO if you use any sparkplug other than a NGK in a Jap motor you are wasting your time & $ .

In NGK the higher the # the colder the plug,IE #4 is HOT & #10 is cold.

As far as what is the diff between BR8ES & BR8ES-11,The -11 is a wide gap plug it has a longer ground arm so that you dont have to bend the BR8ES to get the wider gap.

The wide gap is usually used in outboards & Yamaha 66V motors,I have run BR8ES plugs in 1200 R with no ill effects.

When you modify a motor you usually will need to go to a colder plug for better combustion,due to higher compressions,etc,etc.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mile9c1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ski

Yamaha recommends 7's for my Superjet, but I run 8's (cooler).

In the past I've run Champion N3C's in my Kawasaki's, they seem to foul sooner than the NGK's (although it's impossible to find an NGK plug Saturday afternoon or Sunday, so I'm not complaining about the Champ's).

I think N3C is the same as B8ES, in case you ever need one.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Fletch's Avatar
    Might I suggest you all read this:

http://www.ngk.com/glossary.asp?kw=H...+plug?&manID=1

Here's another handy one:
    http://www.ngk.com/sparkplug411_ngk.asp

--Fletch
    "Aw, come on guys! It's simple! Maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

ok , so using the br7es in my very high compresion X2 did most likely contribute to its pre-ignition.
    in that machine the top of my pistons are pitted so bad they are a lot tinner now.. I took the high compresion head off (cylinder walls looked fine) and ran a br8es . the compresion is down to about 135/140 and the thing still ran flawlessly with its 44 carb and r&r exhashst (dual cooled going in and single coming out)

In my 650 sx at about or just under 180/180 I have ran high octane (pump) gas and br8es /// it has ran fast and flawlessly for 2 seasons
    no problems at all

my question is since I have a box of br8es-11 s am I safe to use them if gapped properly ?

kindof off topic on the plugs , but will that x-2 be ok runnin thos "thinned pistons" ?
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

I have Jetmate for sale with or without engine , Hamilton Ontario ,, pm for details

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ang4th
    my question is since I have a box of br8es-11 s am I safe to use them if gapped properly ?

kindof off topic on the plugs , but will that x-2 be ok runnin thos "thinned pistons" ?

Answer ...DO NOT run the -11 plugs,the gap is too wide for your ignition system & may overwork the stock ign system,you cant gap the plugs properly it will bend the ground electrode at a improper angle increasing its chances of breaking off,use BR8ES.

The "thinned"pistons will be ok just up till the time the quit working.

Seriously,as long as you dont start detonating again they will probally be ok.

thanks for the reply
    I will stick to the BR8ES , even though kawasaki recomends BR7ES (but thats stock)
    as for my X2 and detonation damage on the pistons , I figure even if i melt one through as soon as i fel a loss of power I will shut her down and do a comp check.. just dont want to damage the crank
    that thing still ran great all last summer , and strange thing is it still seems to have a ****load of power .. went from about 200psi to 140 !

if anyone has a 650 crank layin around let me know.. have another project goin on...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    i ran denso's in my 650 and 750. identical to ngks. denso is made in japan
    Yadda Yadda

Thread Information