Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Sassy Boy! PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Looter's Avatar

What works and what doesn't?

Homies... looking for some feedback from any region, any promoter, any place on this world... I want to know what works in racing and what doesn't. What do you like, what do you dislike, how would you improve it? I'd like to have input on any aspect... promotion, rules, safety, venues, starts, flags, tech, staging, pits, trophies, classes, etc.

I'd prefer that this not be a whiny poo poo session... so let's do a matching contribution... one good for one bad. We're always looking for ways to make things better here in Region 1... and I'm sure others from around the world have had successes and struggles... we can all improve together.

Examples:

I love tight, technical tracks that match riders, not horsepower.

I don't love the current starting system where people time the band. I'd love to remove the card system and have people just watch the band... like motocross.
    Dave "Looter" Hardenburger
    Firefightermedic.com - Finally, an easy answer!

Re: What works and what doesn't?

Oh... and I'd love to hear about the pro's and con's of the Outlaw racing circuit as well...

U-Boat Captian - S.S. SeaDevil Top Dog CHagest's Avatar

I'd like to see dual slalom come back. Close course and slalom combined for overall. Just saying it was good fun back in the day.
    Chris
    Sales team at Pro Watercraft Racing
    sale@prowatercraftracing.com
    928-255-0230

You know what I'd like to see? Chris Hagest lined up next to me for some good old fashioned railing! Come back to me Brother!

About the slalom idea... are you thinking head to head? Maybe bracket everyone like drag racing? Combine the slalom results with the Closed Course results for the overall win?

Logistically we'd have to have a big enough venue to spread out the slalom tracks (unless we build them inside the Closed Course track) and we'd need staffing for timing and scoring. Parker would work for sure... so would Perris. Long Beach would work but it would be tight in San Diego... anyone else doing this in other Regions?

Make the pro teams and their pit areas part of the show. We get more people coming up asking about the skis and general questions about the event just because our truck, skis and riders are available to the general public/spectators. Granted we are available because I pay to be available in a vending capacity but the "Pro Team" and the personalities, pit setup/show is something major the sport is lacking.

The problem is, there will be hurt feelings from guys who want to be part of the pro pits, but their setups are not up to par. This may sound harsh but there is a reason people pay to wait in line to get a peak at the teams bikes and pit setups at Supercross and MX Nationals. It's a show and it's a major part of the event for the spectators.
    015.JPG420563_352948001416957_199204336791325_1058539_1406543005_n.jpg560692_427276020624546_549585667_n.jpg

www.OptimaRacing.com
    Email: Mike@OptimaRacing.com with any questions. Thank you!

I'm not saying it's all about size, but more about quality. To be part of the pro pit/show area, you should have a professional image, riders racing in the premier/pro classes and something innovative to help bring appeal to spectators and potential repeat spectators.

The average "outsider" get's lost after the first turn buoy. They will however talk for 30 minutes about an 1100 3 cylinder in a standup ski or a turbo charged sitdown. Meeting the Pro Riders is also an exciting thing for a spectator to take part in.

www.OptimaRacing.com

I'm not saying it's all about size, but more about quality. To be part of the pro pit/show area, you should have a professional image, riders racing in the premier/pro classes and something innovative to help bring appeal to spectators and potential repeat spectators.

The average "outsider" get's lost after the first turn buoy. They will however talk for 30 minutes about an 1100 3 cylinder in a standup ski or a turbo charged sitdown. Meeting the Pro Riders is also an exciting thing for a spectator to take part in.

www.OptimaRacing.com

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

First thing....get rid of the 2-card. Whistle, go down the line, then watch band....2 to 10 second delay....Keep the tracks small and technical and within close proximity to the spectators. Smaller tracks are more spectator friendly too, easier to follow the action.

A good PA is integral to timely staging motos which helps to keep a smooth flowing event with constant action. Plus it goes without saying that its feeding info to those spectators so they are connected to the action.

The way the scoring is reported has been excellent in R1 this year, and other promoters should take notice of how thats being done.

I have attended several of the Outlaw races in NorCal and I really like going there. Its quite a different feel at those races. Its a combination of the people and the program and it works. I highly encourage any racer to go run a few outlaw races so you can experience it first hand. Leave your attitude at home and bring an open mind and your A game, and HAVE FUN.
    Last edited by JonnyX2; 06-25-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Resident Guru

I like the idea of a 30 second card, then a 10 second card (should be cleaned out and situated by then). No more 2 minute holds either, you've got 30 seconds to get it going or miss the start.

I'd like to see make up buoys become the standard too.
    Jeremy S.

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Looter View Post
    !

About the slalom idea... are you thinking head to head? Maybe bracket everyone like drag racing? Combine the slalom results with the Closed Course results for the overall win?

Logistically we'd have to have a big enough venue to spread out the slalom tracks (unless we build them inside the Closed Course track) and we'd need staffing for timing and scoring. Parker would work for sure... so would Perris. Long Beach would work but it would be tight in San Diego... anyone else doing this in other Regions?
    Looter have you seen the match slalom they used to do? I would love to see that but yes it would take some equipment (2 timing setups) to make it happen. Check out this video, it has some match slalom footage from back in the day, they called it "Super Solo" racing:

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information