User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Tigershark 770 fuel problems

I was riding my tigershark on day last year and i noticed that whenever I applied throttle past 25% it would start to choke on the added gas. I brought it home and after taking the carb apart and found no problems there. The problem is fuel delivery, somewhere along the line the fuel isnt getting to the cylinder. I just got it to start by dripping gasoline into the carb but my question is; does this jetski have a fuel pump? or is the gas pulled in by the vacuum generated by the piston? Any other ideas would be a big help.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Tigershark 770 fuel problems

most have have a diaphram pump inside the carbs which is powered by pulses from the engine. check theres no kinks/holes in hoses from fuel tank, maybe blocked high speed jet, have you messed with high speed needle?? try opening it out half a turn see if it helps. dont mistake it for low speed needle however.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 3006phil View Post
    most have have a diaphram pump inside the carbs which is powered by pulses from the engine. check theres no kinks/holes in hoses from fuel tank, maybe blocked high speed jet, have you messed with high speed needle?? try opening it out half a turn see if it helps. dont mistake it for low speed needle however.

to be honest I dont remember any work i did on it last year. In the main post I said that a started the jetski for a few seconds, and I think I may have a problem, when try starting it the crankshaft barely moves and by removing the spark plug i can see that the piston moves only about an inch then stops. What could cause this? I don't think its seized, it wouldn't move at all if it were seized right?

PWCToday Newbie

flat battery? , starter relay broken? could be internal corrosion in cylinder making the piston stick? if the engine doesnt turn over, its either electrical problem or its seized. try connecting your charged battery terminals straight to your starter motor with a pair of jump leads. if engine doesnt turn over, its an engine issue and not electrical. take head off and have a look into cylinders, is there any signs of corrosion?

PWCToday Newbie

put spanner onto the flats on drive shaft and turn over the engine by hand. lf it turns over without any grinding of rough rubbing then it isnt seized.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 3006phil View Post
    put spanner onto the flats on drive shaft and turn over the engine by hand. lf it turns over without any grinding of rough rubbing then it isnt seized.
    No room in the jet ski to do that and I was feeding it power from a charged battery via jumper cables and I was using a 200 amp started. The picton moves an inch or so, that means its not seized right?

PWCToday's first Tigershark owner Moderator
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    I can hold up my hand and point to where I live. Can you?

pull the spark plugs before you try turning the engine over by hand
    My quote for the week of 03-February-2013 to 09-February-2013: "time to hang up the skates"
    Region 6 racing info:
    Monster Energy Midwest Watercross Tour
    Do you have it made in America?

Region 6
    Novice Runabout N/A Stock
    Shark Bait
    1999 Tigershark 1100R (ret.)
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP 800
    800 Limited/1000 superstock
    2009 Novi-Tec carbs
    Factory Pipe spec II
    Skat pump/prop
    ...and more.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona770 View Post
    to be honest I dont remember any work i did on it last year. In the main post I said that a started the jetski for a few seconds, and I think I may have a problem, when try starting it the crankshaft barely moves and by removing the spark plug i can see that the piston moves only about an inch then stops. What could cause this? I don't think its seized, it wouldn't move at all if it were seized right?
    Some possible worst case scenarios ..... The height of an exhaust port is about an inch. Could be you've got a broken piston ring, a chunk of piston skirt, reed valve or an errant screw lodged in the port. Might also be a piece of something down in the bottom of the crankcase wedging between the case and a crankshaft lobe. Sounds like it might be time to think about a tear-down.
    95 Montego DLX 640
    97 Monte Carlo 770
    98 TS L 770
    98 TS L 770

Thread Information