X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerry Rodriguez

ANNC: Jet Wings - Ultra High Performance Sponsons

Hi Everyone,

I'm proud to introduce the most radical improvement in PWC handling ever - Jet Wings!

Jet Wings are a patented revolutionary sponson design that leaves ordinary sponsons in the dust! They don't even look like sponsons!

Designed and tested on Maui's giant waves, Jet Wings are the handling solution of choice for the ultimate in control in any situation.

When you're towing and rescuing riders with your PWC in seventy foot surf, you need to be able to rely on your craft's handling - with Jet Wings, you can:

Turn on a dime
    Maintain perfect stability at high speeds
    Tow with assurance
    Ride whitewater
    Surf waves like a pro

Jet Wings are used by some of the top names in tow in surfing, such as Archie Kalepa, Rush Randle, Buzzy Kerbox, and Sierra Emory - see what these pro riders say about Jet Wings:

You may not be risking your life in huge surf with your PWC, but if you would like your boat to handle like a Ferrari, you need Jet Wings!

If you have any questions about Jet Wings, please let me know - I'd love to answer them!

Aloha,

Jerry
  • southjerseypwc
    I dream skis
    • Dec 2001

seems like a good idea, but the price is almost double what a standard set of sponsons cost.

not all of us ride big surf but alot of us do race. are these products IJSBA race legal? if so how will they handle high g-force turns? also how do they handle @ high speeds?

not knocking the product just trying to get some basic information
    hey i remembered my password.....

Comment

• Jerry Rodriguez

#3 Unapproved
      Hi Top Dog,

I appreciate your interest! True, Jet Wings aren't cheap - the reason is that rather than being two plastic slabs, as conventional sponsons are, Jet Wings are three dimensional carbon composite structures that are much more expensive to produce.

With each set of Jet Wings you also get two sets of fins, so you can fine- tune the ride.

We are planning on a race legal version by this spring, but if it's performance you're after, unless you're actually racing, remember that the race legal ones are actually limited by the rules - the wave models are more radical.

You will be amazed and delighted with the performance of Jet Wings in any situation: You will turn much more precisely and accurately, tow with much more authority, and enjoy excellent high speed stability.

The reason Jet Wings are so much better than regular sponsons in the straightaways is that regular sponsons are very crude devices: Just like your car's front wheels, sponsons need to be toed-in to keep your PWC stable at high speeds. Regular sponsons' parallel orientation makes them grab and hunt, more so the faster you go, and especially so if you go really fast.

Jet Wings are wedge shaped (visualize the wake of a boat - not parallel, but wedge shaped) and the little fins are cambered out, with the tips further apart than the bases. This dynamic orientation is nothing technologically new - all race cars employ toe-in and negative camber to provide optimum traction, and the priciple holds even more true in water. This design makes the PWC very stable at high speeds, and very nicely sensitive to steering input.

An added bonus of Jet Wing's patented design is the lift that the wings provide. As you go faster, the boat unweighs and, again, the handling only gets smoother!

And now we get to the most obvious benefit of using Jet Wings - the turns! Basically, a jet ski is like a surfboard without fins - the turns are very drifty and imprecise.

If you're making turns on a lake, it's hard to notice how much you're sliding, but when you go to crack the lip of a wave, or turn around a buoy, it becomes all too evident that where you though you were turning is not where the boat's going to turn. Unless, of course, you have Jet Wings on your ski - if you do, it will turn exactly where you point it!

Which brings me to your point about G-force. G-force feels very good, if you're an extreme sort of guy - you want G-force, try Jet Wings! When your boat stops sliding around turns, you'll see just how much G-force you can take! I definitely recommend sitting down around the corners! Check out the very short video - first link in the right side bar: http://www.jetwingshawaii.com

Aloha,

Jerry

Comment

• southjerseypwc
        I dream skis
        • Dec 2001

jerry, you have a pm

Comment

• #5 Unapproved
          this makes NO sense to me!
          if you take a paddle and put it in the water and row you move, if you drill holes in the paddle and try and row you will move but at a fraction of speed. WHY would a inch or so skag fin be better than a full 10 inch or so sponson?
          not sure, but it doesn't make sense.

mychael

Comment

• southjerseypwc
            I dream skis
            • Dec 2001

i dunno but hopefully i will be a ble to test a set of these and see what happens

Comment

• creator
              Top Dog
              • Aug 2002

I think it probably has to do with how far out from the hull the fin is. That and the ammount of angle or "toe in" the fin has in relation to the axis of the hull.

Interesting... but I've got to say that the shape of that fin scares me. It's too steep of an angle too far out from the hull. If you cought somebody with that it'd cause a lot more dammage than a standard sponson.
              Robert Stellhorn #811 -- Retired from Racing for the moment
              DJSA Staff Member
              '89 Yamaha SuperJet Square Nose, ready to put the hurt on anyone, anytime
              '02 Honda F-12X with more hours on it than i can count
              '03 Honda R-12X (most of it anyways) waiting in "mothball fleet" status

Comment

• godocgo
                Top Dog
                • May 2004

it will work for big wave riding it will act like an out rigger, but i guarantee it will mess up the ride on closed course. plus it is not legal with that skeg on it.
                teammeanracing.com

judgemotorsports.com don't leave home without the judge in your court

Comment

• #9 Unapproved
                  but then again... didn't bullet come out with one like this but it is in the shape of about 3 skags that are all conneted ??????

i think kenny richie has them on his ski

Comment

• Jerry Rodriguez

#10 Unapproved
                    Hi Mychael,

The wing is 22 inches long, and 4 inches wide at its widest point. When you tip the boat over to turn, you get that plus the fin to act as a pivot. But as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating - Jet Wings work way, way better than ordinary sponsons.

Visualize, if you will, the effect an ordinary sponson has on a turn - the boat leans over, and you have a 1 1/2" deep slab, 10 inches long, to act as a pivot - not very effective. On the same turn, Jet Wings provide a 22" long, 4" wide triangle with a 2" fin at the very tip to focus the energy and provide an end-plating effect - way better!

The other main problem with conventional sponsons is the parallel stance - If you have sponsons on your ski, and you've noticed that it grabs and hunts on the straightaways at high speeds, that's why!

I don't expect you to take my word for it, but if you want the ultimate in PWC handling, you might want to give them a try!

Aloha,

Jerry

Comment

• Jerry Rodriguez

#11 Unapproved
                      Hi Robert,

You're right, the width of the wing points the fins in the correct direction, and adds bite in the turns.

There will be a race legal version coming out this spring that addresses your safety concerns - I'll post to this forum when it's available.

Aloha,

Jerry

Comment

• southjerseypwc
                        I dream skis
                        • Dec 2001

Jerry, nice talking to you on the phone i look forward to testing these for you

Comment

• ThrottleJunkie
                          Top Dog
                          • Dec 2003

Sounds great for the surf. But What about doing 55-70 mile's a hour on a closed course style racing.
                          1991 Pro Ski Yamaha Jet Pilot Hot Water tour National Champion
                          1994-1995 Pro Ski South American Champion
                          1987 to 1999 Mauler racing schools
                          1995 to 2004 Mauler Motorsports
                          2006 IJSBA Hall of Fame JetSkier https://www.facebook.com/ThrottleJunkieNews 1999-2014
                          Old School Jet Ski Video (The early years)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QOfgD4B9fg
                          2012 Worcs MX Champion 50 and over.
                          2014 Gorman Baja Cup duel stage team race MX Champion
                          2014 Lake Havasu Xmas GP 50 and over MX Champion

Comment

• southjerseypwc
                            I dream skis
                            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by mikemauler
                            Sounds great for the surf. But What about doing 55-70 mile's a hour on a closed course style racing.
                            i am getting a set of the race version to test out on my stxr. should know by monday how they handle

Comment

• #15 Unapproved
                              Wings!

As a casual FUN rider...I pretty much avoid HP upgrades and racing application items...
                              I (we) love horsing around while underway...allow me an example of what I'm talking about...We're side by side at say 25mph...With a burst of throttle and some "swinging" action I slide the ski sideway for a few feet...flooding my partner and his ski with a wall of water.
                              Now, I can appreciate an improvement in handling...but wouldn't your Wings prevent me from performing this manuver by planting my *** more firmly in a "lane" of travel?
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X